Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - version 8 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

version 8 maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: version 8 maps Reply with quote

nearly end of november and still no free v8 map upgrade..is there anyone with inside knowledge that can tell us all whats happening.......
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the big concern over V* maps - do you keep getting lost with the current V7 maps ?? I bet you will hardly come across any differences in your day to day travels..The V7 are very upto date anyway - there is a new road near me only opened 6 months ago and its on the V7 maps..chill it will make no difference to your navigation...
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm chilled , but a free upgrade was mentioned and i am curious...
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Yes Garmin did say it would be sometime in november that the v8 maps would be released but everyones still waiting.....

Oh well i'll just have to ask Garmin tomorrow at the GPS event anyone else here attending tomorrow...If so i'll see you there.... Wink

I just bought an I3 today from Argos - back down to £169.99 but it has come with firmware 2.30 and V7 maps.

I have 16 days to return it so I hope a free upgrade is announced on Monday and I qualify.

I am not going to update anything until I decide whether to keep ot or try and exchange for a V8 maps version.

I am sure the V7 works but I liketo be up to date!

Dave
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to suggest you check your Argos receipt carefully. The Garmin i3 is classed as software and is exempt from their 16 day return policy. I managed to persuade my local Argos to take it back but they were not happy and stressed that they do not have to unless faulty.

Staples however, will accept any return (apparently) as long as you have all the packaging, manuals etc.
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-Party wrote:
Just to suggest you check your Argos receipt carefully. The Garmin i3 is classed as software and is exempt from their 16 day return policy. I managed to persuade my local Argos to take it back but they were not happy and stressed that they do not have to unless faulty.

You are right. I thought the salesperson said it was covered by the 16 day return policy but the receipt says otherwise.

Mind you should the need arise I am sure I an persude them to take it back.

Dave
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:

So Argos can jolly well give the refund on the goods stated under there 16 day money back guarantee...Or you could call in trading standards to sort them out.....Cheeky ..... Rolling Eyes

You can't return goods if you change your mind, only if they are faulty. Many retailers will let you do so as a gesture of goodwill but they don't have to do it. So the 16 days thing is a goodwill gesture on Argos part which they have chosen not to give on an i3. So they may be in the clear if they don't consider the fact the maps are "out of date" a fault.

In fact I have just checked out their terms & conditions and if you have a faulty product they say they will offer you a replacement or a repair. No mention of a refund when in fact as a consumer you are entitled to reject faulty goods for a full refund provided you do so fairly quickly.

I don't know how they can get away with T&C like that as the regulations came in as of May 2003. I suppose it is because the T&C say "This does not affect your statutory rights", but I bet plenty of people don't realise their statutory rights include a refund.

I doubt "out of date" maps would be considered a fault but the fact the box says it should contain a CD and it doesn't might be a good enough reason to reject the goods as products must match any description given.

Dave
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Quote:
The Garmin i3 is classed as software and is exempt from their 16 day return policy. Confused

The Garmin i3 unit is Hardware the only thing thats software is whats on the transflash card and in the i3's internal memory....

Software is completely useless unless you have the Hardware to run it...

So Argos can jolly well give the refund on the goods stated under there 16 day money back guarantee...Or you could call in trading standards to sort them out.....Cheeky ..... Rolling Eyes

its nothing to do with it being software..its to do with it being the type of item someone would buy for a specific event and then return - ie you have two weeks holiday n the uk - buy an i3 from argos use it for your two weeks drive around the country then return it..same goes for video cameras - another favorite that people bought from argos for a wedding, chritening etc, then return after the event....
Melker63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazthomas wrote:
Why the big concern over V* maps - do you keep getting lost with the current V7 maps ?? I bet you will hardly come across any differences in your day to day travels..

I for one have small hopes for version 8 containing anything new worth mentioning. Not after seeing the pathetic "jump" from v6 to v7.

Since Garmin released the City Select-compatible Etrex C series they really should pay more attention to more pedestrian uses like subway- and commutertrain POI:s. I live in Stockholm and version 7 havent got one single subway-, and only a few commuter endstation POI:s. I was very surprised at that.

National railwaystations and some very few commuter endstation-POI:s - Thats about it. But lots and lots of car-rent POI:s and ferry/airport POI:s as well. Garmin must get their act together.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely everyone knows that v8 is out there. Garmin not advertising it must be telling something. May be they don't know how they should manage updating as it is no longer on a CD or may be they are giving us the news very slowly to avoid an outcry from people who bought their GPS recently with outdated maps. Again v8 is out there guys and all but Garmin seem to know that.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I work with got his i3 on Thursday from Argos. Software 2.6 and V8 maps.

Still got slightly lost with it on Sunday - wrong end of a one-way street from where he needed to be.

Mine tried to take me down a dirt track and through a field containing a pikey campsite on Sunday too. That's V7 maps. With "avoid unpaved roads" checked Rolling Eyes

So the V8 mapping doesn't appear to be a huge leap forward. Or maybe all the i3's were playing up on Sunday??
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:

So the V8 mapping doesn't appear to be a huge leap forward.

Well I have managed to return mine to Argos for a full refund. I will re-purchase when I know the score with the update to v8.

It may not be that great an upgrade but I'd feel ripped off if I had held onto the i3 bought last week only to find I could not get a free upgrade this week.

Got to say your dirt track experience and the worng end of the one way street isn't exactly inspiring from a re-putchase point of view!

Dave
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too hung up about the quality of the maps. Although I've found a couple of oddities in the Garmin (NAVTEQ) maps I found others (and more of them) in the Tom Tom (TeleAtlas) maps, partly because the Tom Tom maps were older.

Sure, it might, once in a while, try and take you along a dirt track or the wrong way up a one-way street but turn around go back a bit and take a different route, it will soon get you back on track. I know that's annoying and time is lost but worse things happen at sea.

At the end of the day the V8 maps might be a bit more up-to-date than the V7 maps but they're not going to be perfect and if you need/want a Sat Nav why deprive yourself. You're not being cheated, particularly if Garmin give a free upgade for V7 maps which they commit to doing if V8 is already out, which it apparently is.
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the V7 maps and on the few times I've used it, it's been OK.

A number of times it's tried to take me up a road which has been closed for the last 10 years or so and recently it tried to take me up a one way street which was two way until 3 years ago.

Not too bad though.

Would have thought if these particular problems would be sorted, they would have been sorted by v7!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the accuracy of the maps doesn't improve much from one release to another. The main reason to want the latest maps is to get improved coverage of Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France and Italy which aren't 100% mapped.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: