Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2720
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Garmin 2720 Reply with quote

Great bit of kit but I'd love it to connect to my laptop!
I loaded the software and registered the maps ok but when I connected the unit to the laptop there was a momentary message saying something like USB port overload. It happened so quickly I was unable to read it correctly. Needless to say the unit and the laptop are not speaking to each other.
I wrote to my supplier who asked Garmin and was advised to d/load the drivers again from their site which I duly did but this hasn't resolved the problem. The USB port is working fine as my daughter uses a webcam. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? metroman
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your attached USB peripherals draw more current than the bus can support, the entire bus may shut down. To see whether your USB peripherals are drawing more current than the bus can support, look for a warning icon next to the Universal Serial Bus controller entry in Windows' Device Manager. Aside from the warning icon, the only signal you'll get that an overload has occurred is the malfunction of one or more USB devices.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add to try disconnecting all other usb connections and use mains power not battery.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems with mine. I always have it powered up on mains before connecting the USB cable.

Have you tried with it running on mains as MELennium suggested?
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I contacted Garmin today and we went through a few things to no avail.
They said that in view of the error message it could be a faulty USB cable or at worst a faulty USB port on the unit itself! If that's the case then it will have to go back to the supplier.
I was using the maps on the laptop today and went to the "About / Help" icon and there is a drop down Icon " USB driver versions" clicking this open shows "No USB drivers installed" I have put the disc in again and done a "repair" but still no drivers, queer or what? I have d/loaded the drivers from Garmin as well ................. metroman
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have another PC you could try an install on - it may narrow down the problem a little
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroman. right-click on 'my computer' then go to 'properties'. in there select 'hardware' and then 'device manager'

scroll down to 'universal serial bus controllers' and expand the selection (click the little '+'

right click on each of the 'USB Root Hub' and select 'properties' and select the 'power' tab. this will tell you if any of the ports are overloaded (i.e. trying to give out more power than they can).

if that's the case i'd suggest unplugging any other usb items and maybe powering the garmin unit from the mains?

hope that's some help!

from memory i don't think windows will display usb drivers being installed unless the unit is plugged in and working correctly - otherwise you would be overloaded with lists of drivers that are no longer needed but are still installed for various reasons...

MaFt
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MaFt.

Thanks for the information. I've done as you said and it says in the "power required" 0mA 2 ports. It says the same on all four of the USB root hub icons could this be my problem?

Garmin have today sent me a new USB cable and a disc with the drivers on. I followed the instructions and got the following message.

Power surge on hub port.
A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. For assistance click this ballon.

This then leads me on to "Reset" the port.

Your comments please. metroman.
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found this on the net:

Power Surge on Hub Port
A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message

Cause: USB devices may draw a maximum of 500 milliamps (mA) per connection. With the release of SP2, if a device attempts to draw more than this, a USB port balloon message is displayed to indicate this over current condition. When docking the tablet, a very brief over current condition is sometimes detected by the OS, and the warning message is displayed. This message has no affect on the functionality of the USB port.

Resolution: To prevent seeing the USB Power Surge alert message, complete the following steps:

Click on START

Click on CONTROL PANEL

Double-click on the SYSTEM icon

Click on the HARDWARE tab

Click the DEVICE MANAGER button

Click the “+” next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the selection.

Right-click and select PROPERTIES on the Intel® USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER (not the USB Root Hub)

Click the ADVANCED Tab

Check the box that says: “Don’t tell me about USB errors”
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled - If you are running the 2720 from the mains before connecting the USB cable it should not try to draw any power from the PC.

Does the GPS work fine on your mains adaptor whilst not connected to the USB cable?

I am able to use mine on my laptop which normally gives an overload error whenever any device even thinks about drawing power.
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Brummygit

I think you've misunderstood my problem.
The Mapsource maps have been loded on to my laptop so that I can upload routes and other stuff but the unit is not recognised by my laptop.
metroman.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Metroman

The error you receive is basically saying that when you connect your 2720 to your PC it is drawing too much power from the USB port and so Windows is shutting down the USB port to protect your computer. Once this has happened I would expect that your 2720 won't be detected and it could take a reboot for that USB port to be re-enabled.

The reasoning behind my questions is why is your 2720 drawing power via USB when you connect it. It could be that the 2720 will try to power itself from USB (this is perfectly OK) but that your USB port on the PC is not capable of supplying enough power - which is what the error you receive is implying.

BUT.....and here is the but.....I would expect that you should be able to power up your 2720 from the mains power adaptor supplied in the box and then when both the PC and 2720 are up and running, connect the USB cable - this should not draw any power via the USB. This is how I always connect my 2720 to my PC - I have never tried to power mine via the USB cable.

Can you answer a simple question for me - when you are getting this error on your pc as you connect, is your 2720 being powered by the mains adaptor?
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Brummygit.
Interesting that you power your unit from the mains and connected to the pc as well. I only connected to the laptop, I expected the USB port/cable to power the unit.
Going to your set up, I.E Mains/USB-pc how to you upload for instance any routes you have created or perhaps the latest safety camera locations? Does the unit come up as a new drive??? metroman.
metroman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS

because Brummygit mentioned that he powers his unit via the AC connector I phoned Garmin this morning and went through my problems. They confirmed that the unit has to be AC connected!!! where does it tell you that anywhere???
Any way, I have now successfully transfered computer generated maps from Mapsource to my unit.
Now I need to find out how to get safety cameras etc to the unit.
Thanks Brummygit and everyone else.
metroman.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are sorted. The speed cameras are fairly easy to install if you follow the Garmin specific instructions here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: