Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Map Info on TomTom's Website? Can't find it!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Map Info on TomTom's Website? Can't find it!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: European Map Info on TomTom's Website? Can't find it! Reply with quote

Can anyone help me locate information relative to European Map support on TomTom's website? I can't find any mention of it, yet I know TT is the leading European application...

Thanks,

Jon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this page - http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=109&Language=1

Did it answer your specific questions?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Richard - a follow-up question though? Reply with quote

Richard - thanks for the reply. Somehow, I was unable to locate that info. on the site (ever notice the TT site has no 'search' feature???

Anyway, if I may, can you direct me to an answer to the following question? Do the European maps require you to load each country every time you cross a border? In other words, if you live in continental Europe and you want all of the maps to be available all of the time, can you load them all onto a say CF card and have access to them all the time? I ask this because in earlier versions of TT, I remember reading that to travel between countries, you had to manually reload the destination each time you crossed a border. So, could I have all these maps (assuming I had enough memory) in my PDA and then map and drive from say Amsterdam to Madrid without having to reload maps each time I crossed a border?

Thanks again for any help you might provide.

Jon
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Valid8r,

It's still the same. You have to manually switch maps if you want detailed street level mapping of each country.

However, if you get the MoWE (Maps of Western Europe) on CD you can use "Plus" maps. In your example if you load the Iberian Plus map you'll have the full street mapping of Iberia plus the MRE (major roads of Europe) for all other countries. If you use the Iberian Plus map you can navigate from your destination using the major roads and get to Madrid without the need for switching maps.

The Plus maps are a halfway house to full European mapping. If you want that then you need to look at the TomTom GO 700.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: More questions? Reply with quote

Hey Robert - thanks for the info. I'm disappointed to hear this, I would have thought that this limitation would have hurt TomTom more and forced them to change this. I live in Belgium and am constantly driving to either The Netherlands, Germany, Lux, and France. The idea of not having all street level maps available is not something I'm willing to live with. I originally had Copilot whose maps are for all countries at the street level. I guess I'll just upgrade it and then see what happens.

Why isn't this a bigger issue for TomTom users? It seems like such a limitation? Am I missing something here?

Thanks again.

Jon
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Confused... Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
Go here >>> http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?cat=25 and look right down at the bottom of the page.

Border_Collie - I saw the referenc to the TomTom maps, but am not sure what you are pointing me too. I read the bit about being able to cross borders, but the text also supports the previous answer that while you can cross borders, you are only able to use the major roads (ie. not load all city streets for all countries).

Were you steering me to something else that I missed?

Thanks,
Jon
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: I am interested in European Maps Reply with quote

Border_Collie (I'll assume you aren't being sarcastic). I am trying to find the best European maps. What I don't want to have to do is constantly reload maps to my PPC every time I travel from one city in country A to another city in Country B, etc. My understanding (as confirmed I believe in replies above) is that with TT you have to use the Major Roads Network maps when traveling between countries.

I admit that the advertising from TT is confusing and leaves me still asking the same question. Do you have any experience with this issue?

Jon
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the maps I need (Benelux Plus, Great Britain, France and Deutschland) on a single 1GB SD card and switch maps (not reload them) when necessary when I cross a border.
It takes a couple of seconds and can be done whilst driving: tap screen>change preferences>menu2>switch map>select map.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand from the messages above that there’s a separate map for each individual country, plus a higher-level, less detailed map of international routes linking these countries.

Is this correct ?

Is there no way of grouping different countries on the same map ? I live in Luxembourg, which is a very small country, and so almost all journeys are international. This suggests that the only way I can plan a journey between my home in Luxembourg to a destination in Germany by a route which cuts through France would be to :

Load the international routes map and plot a general route (but probably neither my departure nor arrival points will be on such a route, so this would essentially be a manual operation)

Then load Luxembourg and navigate to the selected border crossing

Then load France and navigate that part of the journey

Then load Germany and finish off using the local German map

That’s an awful lot of messing about for what might only be a journey of less than an hour. I’d spend more time playing with TomTom than I would driving !

Also, when the departure point and arrival points are not on the same map, then how can TomTom plan the best route ?

The situation would be similar if GB counties were on separate maps. A journey from a rural location (no where near a major route) in Devon, to an equally remote location in Norfolk would be a nightmare of swapping and changing and reloading of maps !

I’ve been thinking of buying TomTom5 for my PDA, but this may just turn me completely off the idea.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - if you destination is in Germany, load the Germany Plus map - this will have all the major roads of Europe plus detailed Germany. Major rods includes al lbut side streets so as long as you know how to ge to the nearest non-minor, non-residdential road inLuxembourg, Germany Plus is all you need. If you want to use detailed mapping in France, then by all means swap to the France map when you are there - it takes about three seconds, but you probably won't need to. Before now I have driven from London via Calais to Rotterdam using just one Map without any problem.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are really three types of maps :

* Major routes for Europe

* Detail for each country

* “Plus” maps for each country containing detail for the country plus major routes for all of Europe.

Is that right ? The Plus maps are the missing key, and although mentioned in other postings above, I hadn’t fully understood exactly what they contained.

Do you get them all in the box of Europe CDs ? Or are some of these at extra cost ?

One further question : Are there any groupings ? For example there’s a mention above of an Iberian map. Is there also Benelux, France/Germany, Switzerland/Austria/Germany ? See what I mean ?

Thanks for your help with this.
Valid8r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martike - your questions are exactly the same as mine. While it seems complicated to someone that has not used TT (such as you and me), the owners of the system seem to be happy with it. While I am sceptical (also like you) I have to believe that it can't be too bad as TT is the leading app. in Europe. Just to be clear though, I have used Copilot's European maps (2 years ago) and I could load maps containing all streets for a country with as many maps as my memory card would hold (most of Europe except Scandinavia on one 512Mb SD card). I found this to be the ideal system and never had any trouble driving around Benelux or France and never had to switch maps. However, the GUI for Copilot at that time was too much of a pain to make it worth using (at that time).

I have been looking at simply upgrading my CP4 to CP6. Just today, customer service emailed me saying that the new European maps would be available in "a few weeks". This is needless to say a bit vague, but may be worth my wait. I'm not sure.

The thing that makes me consider jumping over to TT though is the large userbase and the belief that it must not be too bad to be able to switch these maps when you cross a country.

I certainly sympathize though with living in the Benelux region and the constant border crossings...

Jon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
Do you get them all in the box of Europe CDs ? Or are some of these at extra cost ?

One further question : Are there any groupings ? For example there’s a mention above of an Iberian map. Is there also Benelux, France/Germany, Switzerland/Austria/Germany ? See what I mean ?

The 7CD set for TTN contains everything.

If you look at this page, the coverage will be explained.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
The Plus maps are the missing key, and although mentioned in other postings above, I hadn’t fully understood exactly what they contained.

If you load a "plus" map then it will navigate through the 18 Countries on the major roads, but for street level definition in the other than "plus" countrie you will need to load that specific countries map, if these are pre-loaded onto the SD or CF card then you can switch maps on the fly (it only takes a few screen taps), at the price the modern SD cards are going for get the largest capacity card your device will support and put all of the maps on it if you really need to - Mike
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for these responses and explanations. At the moment TT5 is top of my list as a replacement for ViaMichelin, but the run-up to Christmas seems to be stimulating new releases of a lot of products, so I guess I'll wait awhile to see what's new.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: