Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updated MAPS for CLP6 ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated MAPS for CLP6 ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, lets dothis again

Developement in existance since 2002, i have lived pghysically now 24 months here, this alone surpasses ANY mapping cycle at bear minimum of county recording.
Maps are a minimum of 36 mopnths in existance now.
Other software has it for almost a year now.
There simnpoly is no excuse no matter how it is torn apart.
As a leader most expansie and military geodata provider, this is unacceptable.
Software works Maps lack GPS sufficient status .
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading the Navteq visit - then you might at least have some idea about what you are trying to talk about!
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look,
I am a consumer, I am NOT here to argue implementation come about.
I see two competing products.
One release earlier this year, with current streets to a point.
I poay for an upgrade in SUPPORT of a product that was flawed CPL5 !!!

It is not my job to understand how everything works, I am leaving questions here as to WHY is the map more updated on an older product from a competitior.
I talk from the point of normal joe blow, who will not buy into it again.
Yes, the CPL6 is a much need improvemtn in GUI and userfriendliness and convinience but NOT in ?GPS usage if the maps are NOT updated, depsite Asking for it on the phone already on CPL5.
This is currently the ONLY issue i am facving, if I cannot ask this here without being called into question of my understanding,. than I do not believe that this Forum holds value as to credibility and realistic feedback.
Your call to make this enticing for new people or better not go there out of fear to be benined.
This isnt about you or me, this is me about the missing data DESPITEclaim of all updated maps and not supplied MAPPING in existance for OVER 24 months cyle !!!
Thank you
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not totally disagree with your comments, it is a personal opinion of mine (which as a software tester by profession I would have thought I am in a better position than many to be able to draw a reasoned conclusion) that while SatNav systems may be marketted as a consumer product like for example a car radio/Video (oops showing my age again - at least I didn't say wireless!), to get the best out of them requires a certain degree of understanding and expertese.

As to whether you SHOULD be required to get this understanding you would presumably answer with NO, and don't get me wrong, I would not disagree with you on that.

The point I am trying to make (but doesn't seem to be getting through) is that if you don't make the effort to obtain this understanding you will neither understand the advantages/limitations of SatNav or how to get the best out of it.

As to why the maps haven't been updated, or more correctly, not updated in a particular area - I can't give a definative reason. From what I now understand (through reading etc.) there are many reasons, sometimes even that a new development may not be added until the whole development is completed, so it could be years before one of the first streets is added.

If you think that I am trying to justify this, you read me wrong - I am merely trying to explain it
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I underststand what you are saying very well..
I didnt know that there is a professional Beta tester position out there, if i understand you correctly or are you a paid reviewer?
I myself am a volunteer Beta tester for some major corps that I believe in however, the one time, that i went to battle for the beta product in public, i regretted it, ever since than, i just stay in private.
I can understand that developements get recorded when closed although city planning has to approve electric sewage street lighting prior to building on lots of streets already named, so plans are pre recorded.
But all that aside, I went overboard here and i thank you for the responding with curtesy.
All I can see now is that from GPS point of view for ease of finding up to date locations, ALK is not the provider sufficient enough to warrant at least in my area with explosive growth to be a contender for service people like me.
I m a Housecall technicin that troubleshoots PC confliucts and suggests software hardware etc.
I have found more locations now not updated and in existance for 5 years or more.
Lack of Gas stations tht i can see with my bear eyes from freeway also there for two years or more.
I am pretty sure that the trend of consumer demands will be for companies to give updated maps more often than once a year and more updated for sure than ALK in my area.
If i wasn't undr negotiation crampos right now, i could get more into it but i need something out of the ox and my personal MO you get what you pay for, does not hold up in this case two years and running in bare essentials, It's like a jaccuzi "actually a trademarked brandname" vs one with all sorts of Bells and Whistles, the elaborate one has tons of exciting features, the Less expansive has less excitement but much more health orinted features........
With ALK, not only does it cost more but it has less of the basic needs covered.
MAPS is the foundation for any GPS provider, if they arte not up to par, you wont have a clue what you;re running into in cities and foremost developements, you can end up hummering over golfcourses :D .
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been testing with, the maps are updated to an extent from the CP5 version, some of it is not in the way of new streets, but in the use of them. What i mean is that in my area by all means we have lived here 1 year and in CP5 they did not exist, the neighborhood across the street had a better street listing in CP5 than it does in CP6. However parts of PHX that had freeways and such that have been there for 30 years had no plotting in CP5. The Loop 202 showed up in CP5 yet it never routed you on it!. In CP 6 the streets are now there on the north side of PHX and the Loop 202 does get used and routed on. So from what I can see, and why my area still has nothing and maybe a bit less, I do in fact see that some areas are now completed and CP6 is using more roads than it did for routing. Even on route to CA from PHX now I can get it use the shortest route 10 to the 60 to the 57 freeway which it never did in CP5 or take the 10 to the 57. So IMO its better.
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I m glad to hear it.
I just had a look at other mentioning of CPL functionality and it seems to be a pre existing problem when it comes to So Cal.
So I am not alone on this.
Can someone tell me if ALK is actually seated in US ?
I am beginning to see a trend of European mainstream, there is hardly anybody here from US or is this product simply not popular in US ?
I used CoPilot in 98 and it was groundbreaking, down in San Clemente, where two Satelites are blacked out due to Military at that time.
Itis the EXACT same look for the desktop software still.
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW,

Now get this, i guess they both use the same map service ?
Iguidance
New Navteq digital map data covering N. America w/ expanded Canadian coverage (excl. Alaska)
Now someone explain this to me ???
IGuidance has my ddevelopment, if they both use Navteq data, than hellelujah.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a US user ... Maryland. I have used CP5 since in came out and have been relatively happy with it. It has some quarks, as they all do, and does some things better than others and some things worse. I have tried almost all of them and settled on CP since I felt it best fit my needs and my preferences. Clearly the maps have some shortfalls. I have found several cases where the maps looks complete but for some reason the system wouldn't route me onto that road which seemed the obvious path. Upon very close inspection I found that when the ramps were drawn on they failed to make a complete connection to the main highway (a small gap) so CP correctly didn't think it could get to that road from that map data. I have been looking forward to CP6 primarily for getting some updated maps (and hopefully some corrections to the many mentioned problems). I am now getting concerned that the maps may not be as upgraded as I had hoped. I've been holding back on ordering to see some reviews but I must say that I am not as encouraged by the posts as I had hoped to be. Still pondering ............ Rolling Eyes
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont let my posts mislead you, this is why i asked the question here, sowe can get some more feedback onthis, from the looks of it, some maps are updated, so now you jkust need someone from your area to let you know.
My problem is So Cal related
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirhardi wrote:
I didnt know that there is a professional Beta tester position out there, if i understand you correctly or are you a paid reviewer?

Just to state my position, I have never worked for ALK in any capacity. My relationship with them is simply as a customer.

I have been involved with reviewing products, but only in the course of my employment as a systems tester. The circulation being quite restricted and usually confidential.

I am not a reviewer, and if the truth be told, judging by some of the stick the reviewers seem to get - I am not sure that I would want to be!

As for this forum, I am just a member like you.
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: NAVTEQ Reply with quote

So, NAVTEQ maps are what ALK use in Europe, but not in the US, unless this latest version is NAVTEQ which I highly doubt.

The NAVTEQ maps are going to be better than anything else pretty much, since so many mapping companies and auto manufacturers use them they have a real incentive and $$ to make the product better and often.

I can only hope that ALK updates their maps for 6.0. If not, I am not upgrading.
amc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my upgrade to version 6. :D
I tested it using my contact list (all have valid postcodes streetmap and multimap get them right), however CoPilot 6 only finds 50% and most of these are find the wrong location.
I have noticed that postcodes in major towns seem more accurate. CoPilot still can't tell you which side of the road the address is (Iam told TomTom can)!!!
Very disappointed with it.
Crying or Very sad
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very disappointing so the postcode search is useless

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: