Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman PiN 300 resetting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman PiN 300 resetting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Navman PiN 300 resetting Reply with quote

Please excuse my ignorance if their is a simple and obvious answer to this but on 2 occasions recently my Navman Pin has "reset itself" when I have tried to switch it on. The symptoms are that on first pressing the on switch, it does not switch on, and after a couple of further presses of the on switch it then does switch on. On starting a number comes up on the screen (like when you soft reset? with the little hole on the side), but on 2 occasions it seems to have done a "factory reset" (?) and I lose all data except the originally installed stuff (windows etc). Hence the SmartST V2 disappears with contacts, favourites etc and has to be re-installed (along with the firmware upgrade I put on.)
several questions
1. Is this a problem with the battery (though I do try to keep it charged up)
2. Am I doing something daft (that I don't realise?!!)
3. Is there a way I can install the programme (and other data like contacts, favourites etc) onto an SD card so that I can reload it (or run it from there) so I don't have to do it via my desktop? (rather inconvenient when on holiday in France!!)
Many thanks for any help, hints, tips etc. And sorry if I am being stupid in not realising an obvious solution!!
Phil
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilRW,

I assume when you say 'Navman Pin has "reset itself" when I have tried to switch it on' you are referring to the top most button on the left side of the PiN (looking at screen). If this is the case then I suspect you have a problem and should direct the problem back to Navman.

From what you are writing, sounds precisely what occurs when using the switch (On - Off) on the rear of the PiN. When using this switch it actually set the system back to Factory default and all programs, data, files etc are all wiped out. Then as you describe all programs (SmartST) have to be reloaded. (This is akin to doing a format of the hard drive of your PC and then reloading Windows from scratch).

The switch (button) on top left side of PiN doesn't really "turn" the PiN off, it basically put the system into "suspend" modem, meaning all programs that were running will be in their same start next time this button is pressed.

The Reset button (in hole on left side) is the same as powering off your PC and then restarting. All programs and memory are cleared, but nothing is lost.

Generally under normal circumstances the switch on the back of PiN is never switched off after the initial "switch on" and the unit is controlled by the left top button (suspend mode). Occassionally quirky things happen and then the "Reset Button" (in hole) is used to "restart" the PiN giving a fresh system.

Hope my rantings have helped.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Denis. Yes, it happened when I pressed the top side button, not the on/off switch at the back. I think that it may be because the battery went completely flat for some reason (maybe I switched it on by accident and left it on while it was in my briefcase, or it was "joggled" back to life several times while there)
I'm still wondering whether it is possible to run SmartST2 from a memory card, or reinstall it from there rather than from my PC - anyone know?
Phil
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilRW,

As far as I am aware, the SmartST v2 softwares need to be loaded onto the PiN. I did play around a little when I first got my PiN in 2004 and the only way forward seemed to be with the SmartST on the PiN. I was actually wanting to have SmartST v2 (European Maps) and SmartST v3 (Australian Maps) usable from the unit. I ended up purchasing v3 European Software and maps and use same SmartST v3.

I know with my SmartST v3 that came with PiN on SD card is self loading onto the system. I am not sure if your original SD card has the same. There is a "how to" on the Navman site on how to create a self loading SD card, so that if PiN resets and loses the software it will reload the SmartST software minus any patches (Service Packs).

The following is precise of the steps :

Download the follwing zip file.
http://www.support.navman-europe.com/PiN300MemoryCard/2577.zip

Create a folder on the memory card called "2577" (don't enter the double quotes).

Extract the contents of the downloaded 2577.zip-file into the just created 2577 folder.

Install the software onto the PiN using the normal installation and activation process.

Open Microsoft ActiveSync and click on the Explore button. Select My Pocket PC and now select Windows. Look for the files "sigreg.dat" and "cdkeys.dat" and select both. Now right-click and select Copy.

Paste these two files into the root-level of the memory card. Not in the 2577 folder!

After a hard reset or full data loss on your PiN, reinserting this memory card will reinstall the application.

Use the mapdownloader to download the maps of your choice onto the memory card.

Hope the above is of some interest.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Denis, I shall try what you suggest and let you know how I get on

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: