Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this true or not !! ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this true or not !! ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudpool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Is this true or not !! ? Reply with quote

Ok this may be an urban myth but I am hoping that the hugely knowledgeable people on here will be able to answer this straight away. I could lose £50 over this.

Someone has told me that if you turn on a tomtom on an aircraft, it will work and you will be able to see how fast you are moving !!

I have bet £50 that this is not correct, surely it cant be ?? you would not be able to latch on to a satellite through the aircraft roof would you ?

If I win this bet through someone giving me conclusive evidence I am prepared to split the winnings 50/50 !!!!

Help !!
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been posts on some forums where people have done this and its worked.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have done a search before you bet..... Sad
Have a look HERE

or HERE

Can I have your mate's address so I can share his winnings Laughing
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does work

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/apos626btreceiver.php

I had 527mph on my Go300 theres not much interferance at 35000ft :D

You have to get quite close to the window with the GO but it will fix easy enougth.
mudpool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw

Im £50 down. Crying or Very sad
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did it recently and got 520mph off the coast of Denmark.
It was actually very difficuilt to get a signal even holding it at the window (I guess they use the same glass as renault!)
adamkodish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Using a TTG 700 in a Boeing 777-200 Reply with quote

I can verfiy that the TomTom works inside a plane, once you get a GPS lock. I got the best lock about a foot away from the window rather than holding it up to the window. I recorded a speed of 682 mph on a bearing of 46% over Kentucky, whilst flying from Houston to London.
Its best to use the 2D map view when doing this and even then it kept keep zooming in too far. Does anyone know how to keep the map view on TTG zoomed out as far as possible all the time?
The speed readout was consistent with the in-flight airshow video they had on the plane. The in-flight magazine (on Continental) said its ok to use a GPS device (at the same times that they allow you to use a laptop)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a TTG 700 in a Boeing 777-200 Reply with quote

adamkodish wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep the map view on TTG zoomed out as far as possible all the time?

Yup, just go to More > Browse Map and it will show your GPS position at whatever zoom you like. You might have to keep choosing Options > Centre on Map to keep your position in the middle of the screen

I quite often use this feature when I'm a passenger in a car.. and bored :P
tweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once upon a time.....not too long ago. the onboard systems on a jet failet and a customer/passenger GPS was used to land the plane. I was told it was a Garmin GPSIII.

I've used mine on nearly every plane for years except some airlines still don't allow there use. However ask the staff to ask the captain and the answer is usually yes.....even during takeoff and landing with some pilots ! After all the GARMIN units were designed for use in aircraft. The route plotting on the GARMIN III allows a direct straight line to be drawn from were you are now to somewhere else....if flying to south america for example you can see how far out the way they go from the optimum flight path following standard routes that you can research before you go. Its like going to Seoul via southern mongolia rather than through russia and near to the north pole, which is the more direct route. Around 500miles longer in fact via the southern path. Politics and Safety i would guess.
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried last week on tt700, i was in the window seat over wing & could not get signal lock. after 30 min or so i gave up. flying from spain to uk
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps if the unit has a fix before you enter the plane. It's very difficult to load the base data through the tinted glass.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
tweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the problem....at high speeds it take ages. the new chips are better though but not great. Best be is to get a fix in the airport and then again quickly before taking off. Without the staff catching you as sometime this causes a bit of a argument. (which i always win via el-capitain)

lbendlin wrote:
It helps if the unit has a fix before you enter the plane. It's very difficult to load the base data through the tinted glass.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIR It dident take to long to get a fix on my flight with the Go300 probably just that cheap Easyjet Glass Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: