Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Navigator 4 - No Virtual Keyboard!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Navigator 4 - No Virtual Keyboard!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unknown01000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 4 - No Virtual Keyboard!!! Reply with quote

Hi all

I have been running tomtom navigator v4 (as i still havent got v5 working as yet) on my MDA Compact (T-mobile) for sometime now and its all been working fine until recently.

Now when i click on 'Navigate to..' i just get a list of recent addresses i have entered but no virtual keyboard. I have soft reset, hard reset, uninstalled, re-installed tomtom.

I have contacted tomtom - but so far no reply.

Has anyone heard of such a problem or does anyone know of a fix to this problem?

Please help as i am totally lost without this working!

Many thanks in advance!
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Do you have an external hard keyboard? Reply with quote

I ditched TT 4 because there was no on screen keyboard. The reason? TomTom said that since my iPaq 4355 has a hard keyboard the software keyboard was disabled. Okay for letters but it required a shift stroke to enter numbers.

This is fixed in TT5 or it would be lost in a drawer too.
unknown01000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me.

Well ... i have an upgrade for TTN5 but that doesnt work on the MDA Compact even if i upgrade to 5.10!!! I do get the keyboard to show up but no GPS Signal (using bluetooth GPS from qstarz.com).

The Bluetooth GPS receiver works perfectly well with TTN4.

Where can i find a solution to gettin TTN5 to work on MDA Compact (Windows Mobile 2002/3)? or alternatively getting TTN4 working properly again?

Thanks.
unknown01000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention i do NOT have an external keyboard.

Thanks again.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Sounds like Reply with quote

another app has seized the port like tomTom used to do before they started playing nice. Maybe the old TT BT driver is loading. My TomTom GPS folder is empty.

Why don't you download a trial copy of GPS and see if it will work on the port. TT used to replace the default BT driver messing up the rest of the world. If so, you may have to locate and replace the original.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknown01000 wrote:
i have an upgrade for TTN5 but that doesnt work on the MDA Compact even if i upgrade to 5.10!!! I do get the keyboard to show up but no GPS Signal (using bluetooth GPS from qstarz.com).

What settings are you selecting in TT5 for the GPS, try other wired NMEA device, select the BAUD speed and then the coresponding port - I know its a bluetooth unit but it will work this way - Mike
unknown01000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Tomtom 5 Reply with quote

Hi guys thaks for your help.

Well i am using the NMEA settings as i have read that this is the best way to configure a bluetooth gps receiver.

I have checked the registry of the phone and under a tomtom folder it states the gps engine is in the followin folder:

\windows\ttgpseng.exe

However checking the windows folder there is no such program. i have checked via the included file explorer and via my windows pc too. (just incase the file is hidden).

So it seems as though the gps engine is not installed in the correctly - i have searched the entire pda and this file cant be found anywhere.

My MDA compact is running windows mobile and the incomming port is com4 - i have tried to configure TTN5 to catch the signal using NMEA Cable with baud rate of 4800 and on com4. However as stated above i think its mainly due to a missing file.

I have just hard reset, soft reset my phone and reinstalled tomtom but it just doesnt seem to install this file.

Any further ideas or help would be much appreciated Smile
unknown01000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

This is what i did to get my Tomtom Navigator 5 working on my T-mobile MDA Compact:

1. uninstall tomtom using add/remove programs.
2. using file explorer deleted the following folders:
\tomtom
\program files\navigator
\program files\contacts navigation
3. Using a registry editor - browse the software sub-folders of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and delete any tomtom, tomtom navigator, and/or tomtom gps/ tomtom bluetooth supprt folders.
(in order to avoid steps 1,2,3 you can also perform a hard reset after you have backed up all your data & files)
4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> DRIVERS -> BUILTIN -> BTINSerial

5. Now change the index key from 4 to 6.
6. Exit the registry editor.
7. Soft reset your MDA.
8. Now install TTN5
9. After following the initial setup prompts of TTN5 exit it.
10. Now install tomtom nav. 5.1 (update available from the tomtom website)
11. Go back into tomtom and select "change preferences"
12. Go into GPS CONFIGURATION
13. Select Other Bluetooth
14. Select COM5
15. Click Done
16. Give tomtom about 10 seconds and your GPS navigation should now work OK!!!!

Hope this helps everyone who is trying to get this to work. I have spent a lot of time trying to find a solution that works and this i feel is it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: