Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good buy - Medion PNA100 ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good buy - Medion PNA100 ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doglio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Good buy - Medion PNA100 ??? Reply with quote

Looking to buy a Pocket PC + Sat Nav for Christmas and wonder if anybody has any good recommendations?

Halfords are doing the Medion PNA100 which seems excellent value at £199 but I do not know whether it is a good deal compared to other products.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how does the PNA100 differ from the Medion MD95025? They both seem to have the same spec!
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I bought the PDNA 100 in June, Have used it in the UK & France and found it spot on. Search back in this forum and you will find a lengthy review from me about this device.

Based on my experience, a close relative has recently bought the dedicated in car device from Aldi MD96800. I haven't found it easy to set up POI Warner, and generally find it a poor second place to my own unit. Can't just remember what I paid but it was a lot more than you quote!

Stu K
Doglio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stu.

You don't happen to know what the difference is between the PNA100 and the MD95025?

Halfords is selling the PNA100 and the latter is on offer on Medion's website. They both seem to have the same spec!

Additionally, somebody has recommended the Mio 168 with TomTom 5 software.

As I'm new to all of this - not certain about the above!

Seems plenty of choice.

David
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, Sorry, I am not a techy, Medion / Mitac ID numbers seem to be in a class of their own anyway!

When I was looking around I did my research on this forum and others as you are doing. In the end, I decided that I wanted a device that could be used as a PDA as I already have a Palm gadget with a load of phone numbers that i use at work.

Even now, ( and I don't know much more now than then!) I am pleased with the device I have and the reason for that is that it gets me from A to B with zero hassle. My first long trip was from the north east to Helson (Cornwall) stopping off at an address in Plymouth. I went door to door to door with no hassle, was warned of many speed cams en route. It just works as it says on the can. Holidaying on south brittany was made so much more enjoyable because the drive was stress free. Good timely warnings, never even looked at a map in a 600 mile jounery. Took me straight to the ferry port. Great!

I have no doubt that there might be other devices that are slightly better at this or that, I just don't have the time to research every detail, and in any event, I expect that in 4 or 5 years (or much less) there will be something else that blows this system into a cocked hat.

However, today, I think that its the best thing that I have bought in ages and I wouldn't be without it. Being as the Nav option installed in the car was going to be in the region of £1k, this portable thing that can be used in any car at a quarter of the price seemed (IMHO) to be a top solution.

If a system was a real dog you would hear of it here. I know that my system has its foibles, but mixing what it says with what you see on the road signs, on the screen, and a bit of common sense, its a hard to go far wrong.

What ever you buy, I think that you will be pleased that you got one

Stu K

PS, now have the medion 96800 sorted so even it is redeeming itself
Doglio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice & guidance. I appreciate the time you have taken out to word a reply. Very helpful, indeed.

Think a trip to Halfords is in order.

Cheers
Dave
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa there !

have you seen the new Medion from Aldi.

I had the 95900 from Aldi 6 months ago, and I really recon the newer 96800 if FAR better.
POI WARNER is dead easy to install, and has limitless points of interest as well as the Standard built in points of intrest
Graham
Doglio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the PDA water!

Thanks for the tip-off Graham - Is the 96800 also from Aldi or generally available?

Cheers
Dave
Robsie71
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the PNA 100 from Halfords and yes the price has come down somewhat in the last couple of months. Have to say I cant fault it its been excellent the few months I have owned it and very usefull as you get everything you need with it and is also a PDA to boot.

As far as the differences go there are none as they are the same unit. I bought from Halfords and the model number is MD95025 on the back of it.

Nick
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a final thought on this topic, my Halfords PNA 100 came with detailed street maps of the whole of europe. Sometimes these are extras. Depends if you have a need for them
Stu K
twinfanman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stukno wrote:
Just a final thought on this topic, my Halfords PNA 100 came with detailed street maps of the whole of europe. Sometimes these are extras. Depends if you have a need for them
Stu K

Thats true of most of the lower-cost navigation units, be they Medion or otherwise. However, whilst the maps can be bought from Medion at great cost 8O to the user, there are other ways to 'acquire' them..... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: