Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rafe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: UK Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Which Speed Camera database do people use?

I'm currently using Pocket GPS own one. That's got one major disadvantage to the ones at POI Hander though - namely you can get them from POI Handler seperated into speed limits.

Coupled with POI-Warner that means not only can you be warned of a camera but reminded of the speed you should be doing in that area.

Any thoughts? What's the best? More importantly which is the best maintained?

Also, one for Pocket GPS... How about putting the total number of cameras in your database somewhere on the relevant page.

Totally aside but somewhat relevant so I'll get it off my chest <G>...

I think the back of speed cameras should display the speed limit on the back of them. There's a 40 limit camera near my house but people don't appreciate that because they drive with their eyes shut or are too busy on their mobile! The number of people that hit the brakes at the camera because they're doing between 30 & 40 is very dangerous (especially when I'm in 32-year old Land Rover).

Sorry for long post...

Rafe

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: UK Speed Cameras Reply with quote

To cover your points...

1. We will be doing speed sensative cameras in the near future, but not every application supports this.

2. The best maintained database is ours. We take care over the data that is added and try to verify as much of the data as possible. POI Handler are happy to accept any data whether it's erroneous or not.

3. Total number of cameras is really not a requirement. The reason I say this is, what would you prefer, an 8000 camera database where 200 of the cameras are known cameras, or a 3000 camera database where all 3000 cameras are accurate ? Personally I'd prefer the latter.

I agree about the speed being painted onto the back of speed cameras. I've also noticed some sneaky tendencies lately on these mobile cameras vans (the tall ones) operated by the police and not a third party. Where the camera van is located with a fleet of 6 police vehicles, half a mile further down the road they position a police motor cyclist. People slow down when they see him, when they notice he's not following them, they speed up, drive round the corner and click click the cameras got you.

Very sneaky! Dorset Police are adopting this tactic a lot now!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Seen this on the eastbound carriageway of the A31 Hog's Back a few weeks ago. The daft thing was there was the Camera Van all set-up, a couple of traffic cars and 6+ motorcycles waiting to nab someone but it was 8am and the Hog's Back is always choked with traffic in the morning rush hour so we all crawled past at 5MPH!!

Also North Wales police have started removing the markings from their Safety Camera Vans because everyone knows them now and revenue is falling.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Yes, but South Wales have the same vans, and we recognise them from a distance. Not for the markings - they are on the side and can only be seen as you are passing - but from the fact that they are a large van with one window at the back different from the other (because it is open) - so that is something they can't change

Darren
Frequent Visitor

My one and only speeding ticket was awarded last year by South Wales police On my way along the M4 near Newport to the rugby in moderate traffic I spotted a red high top van on an overhead bridge ahead with it's side door open. I thought little of it and then realised at the last minute what it was, by that time it was too late.

No excuses, I was speeding and I ought not to have been but I was in a flow of traffic all of which was going 80 MPH so I can only assume every car got one, that's a lot of tickets and a lot of revenue
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Errr...the unmarked camera vans accompanied by hosts of police cars/motorcyclists normally contain number plate recognition cameras and software, to check for stolen, untaxed cars etc...Often the traffic is deliberatlely slowed to improve the operation and capture of offenders.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Darren, I bet just to make your day Wales lost as well didnt they?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Of course they did but I'm old enough to remember them winning, long time ago mind!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

Quote: On my way along the M4 near Newport to the rugby in moderate traffic I spotted a red high top van on an overhead bridge ahead with it's side door open.

No excuses, I was speeding and I ought not to have been but I was in a flow of traffic all of which was going 80 MPH so I can only assume every car got one, that's a lot of tickets and a lot of revenue

Yeah, I almost got caught by that one. The tracklog from my GPS said I was doing 78 MPH at the time so I must have been just under the limit for getting nicked.

I would have been pi**ed if I got a ticket because my radar detector was sitting in the glove box at the time.

They did have big signs saying it was a speed camera area but I think that having cameras on the motorway (the safest type of road in the UK) is unjustifiable.

As for the camera vans and slow moving traffic, these are reading number plates and checking for untaxed/insured/false plate vehicles. You often see them on the south side of Tower Bridge in London with a checkpoint on the other side of the bridge. They generally position them in such a place that they can create a road block about 500 yards away and there are no side roads for you to turn off on. They often have a police car near the camera van to chase people who try and do a U-Turn.
flyingrigger
Occasional Visitor

I have noticed some speed and redlight cameras in my area, (Newport,Gwent)that are not on your database. how can I get

the relevent info to you? I am a newbie to this so forgive me if this is a stupid question!!!!!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

flyingrigger,

Without knowing which POI warning software you're using, it's hard to give detailed advice.

Assuming the recommended CheckPOInt 2.0.2, press the hardware button you've assigned to CheckPOInt when you set it up, and then tap the relevant buttons on screen (they're big enough that you can use your fingernail).

Periodically email the CheckPOInt.ov2 file to this address.

David
jc1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone done for speeding near Newport should check this link out.

http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/379.htm

If you appeal then the points will be removed and the monies refunded. If you don't they are not going to contact you. But it was entirely their mistake! 8O

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: