Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 6 Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 6 Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I have my own Copilot 6 now

After all the problems with CP5? You are a glutton for punishment mate. Laughing Wink Wink

Stop it!

I do agree with you that CoPilot would be a great product if they have sorted out the bugs and finally gotten traffic working. I'd be very interested in how you get on once you have had a few weeks to give it a decent test.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efjay wrote:
BMWBiker, i would be interested in your opinion of copilot for the US especially the map data. I am currently using Destinator PN and it doesnt look like they will be updating it to run properly on WM5. Thanks

efjay, I am ordering today but I won't have WM5.

I am upgrading my iPaq 3970 to PC2003. I would gladly upgrade to WM5 if this were possible.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy writes :

Quote:
After all the problems with CP5? You are a glutton for punishment mate.

Agreed!

However, it just might be worth the trouble to check this version out. TomTom 5 presently has some very serious faults and there is no sign of a remedial patch (where have we heard that before?), so if CP 5's fatal issues really have been addressed, I'm in.

I'll be posting as soon as I have tested it comprehensively, but I'll have to resist the temptation to do it piecemeal.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main issue with version 5 was with the graphics. The main screen was not very clear at times and it was often hard to see POI's.

Can someone who has V6 tell me if this has improved and how?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you may not get a direct response to your question, rest assured, starting very soon, I would expect this forum to be packed with such information.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I have my own Copilot 6 now.

Oh Crikey.............................. after all you said, your surnames not Blair is it. (Only Joking!)

You robbed a bank or what, First it was CP5, then TT5, now CP6, must be made of money.

Anyway, CP5 works for me, the only reason to upgrade would be more up to date maps. How up to date are the CP6 maps ponders?

GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Grimbeard

... and before CP 5, I used Autoroute on my laptop PC on my car seat. I've also tried various audio outputs, satnav receivers and PDAs.

I may or may not personally have shelled out for the various bits of software, and I'll simply leave you to guess how they were paid for. However, I have to say that this is not the sort of edge-of-seat stuff that gets me going!!

The fact is that in the work that I do, time wasted is money not earned, so my quest is for an application that will work without unnecessarily consuming my time. Autoroute was brilliant from that point of view, but it was unsafe when I was driving and I was fortunate not to get the computer stolen. The time and money that I do spend trying these products will be quickly saved when and if I do finally get that elusive product that is well thought-through, reliable and efficient to use.

If CP 5 fits your particular bill, then I wouldn't want to argue for a second. If it does, then why indeed would you want to upgrade? After all, you might get a new product that does not work for you.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:

If CP 5 fits your particular bill, then I wouldn't want to argue for a second. If it does, then why indeed would you want to upgrade? After all, you might get a new product that does not work for you.

People will upgrade for updated maps and other improvements like full post code search
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it seems that I have failed to make my point clear, Hellfire, which is that it is entirely a matter for Grimbeard and others what they wish to do.

I also thought I implied that at least Grimbeard will avoid any new faults that might have crept in. Of course, at the same time, I accept that there may be many reasons why users might indeed want to upgrade.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overlooked Grimbeard's question, put directly to me:

Quote:
How up to date are the CP6 maps

I just don't know as I haven't yet done enough with CP 6 to see.
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I overlooked Grimbeard's question, put directly to me:

Quote:
How up to date are the CP6 maps

I just don't know as I haven't yet done enough with CP 6 to see.

CP6 doesn't have the bypass for Fordham in Cambridgeshire, which opened ~ 6 months ago.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that these map providers only drive around once a year (or thereabouts), so I can see the roads being anything up to 18 months out-of-date, given the need for ALK to validate, modify, and convert the database. The map providers have to drive the routes, to record the GPS tracks.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I seem to remember that these map providers only drive around once a year (or thereabouts), so I can see the roads being anything up to 18 months out-of-date, given the need for ALK to validate, modify, and convert the database. The map providers have to drive the routes, to record the GPS tracks.

This is one of the answers on the ALK support WWW site:

Quote:
Question
Why are the maps not up to date in my area, why is my Street missing ?

Answer
CoPilot products offer the very latest Street Level Maps provided by NAVTEQ. NAVTEQ survey and drive every street in the UK and Europe but obviously new roads do appear from time to time and this maybe why you are not seeing some streets on the maps you are using.

NAVTEQ Map Update Process

NAVTEQ are usually notified by local governments, councils and road agencies about updated streets or change in priorities, new roundabouts added etc.
NAVTEQ will then schedule a new survey of this affected area
NAVTEQ will then drive the area using very advanced GPS Plotters to track the changes in roads, add new Points of Interest, and update Road Priorities
Once driven, NAVTEQ will then add this to their in-house database, verify and confirm that the data is correct and in-tact
Once NAVTEQ are happy with the quality of data, they will then make this available into their release data and make it available to GPS companies like ALK who can then utilise the new map data, updated streets, and provide these down to you the end user.
This whole process from start to finish, depending on how quickly NAVTEQ are informed about new or change in data, and depending on how close these are to the annual release cycle of our CoPilot product range, this can take anything from 6 months to 18 months before new roads may appear.

How can I make sure my road or area is updated ?
It's very simple actually. You can send any data on updated roads, street names, roundabouts, direction change etc direct to NAVTEQ using their Driver Update Form. This will allow NAVTEQ to investigate the information you provide (please provide as much as possible including maps from other packages or websites that may show the new data, or provide drawings to help NAVTEQ check this data before visiting the area). Once you have submitted this, this will get added into the NAVTEQ database to investigate. NAVTEQ will then be able to come back to you if you include your email address to either confirm that they have already corrected the data in their internal release, or whether they need to re-survey the area.

Either way, please bear in mind that this can still take up to 18 months before you may see this change in CoPilot or any other navigation product that uses NAVTEQ data..

This is the link to the Driver Update Form.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered my upgrade for V6.0, software only.

I am not optimistic about improvements over V5. The comments from sales people I emailed about the upgrade show that they do not think there is any change to the shortest route algorithm, or in the ability to navigate to Outlook Contacts (so far I am the only one complaining about the contact problem, in which CP often fails to match a given address if it uses any abbreviations like "Rd.", etc. Seen only in PPC version 5.0.1.61 as far as I know).

In the published list of new features I don't even see any reference to updated maps in USA.

In USA we of course have almost no interest in Safety Camera issues or 7-digit postcodes, though we sympathize. I did use CP4.5 in Germany. Routing was fine but I could not ever get any safety camera warnings, probably didn't have any imported database at the time.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker writes that:

Quote:
... sales people... do not think there is any change to the shortest route algorithm...

I have to qualify this answer by first saying that I have not got very far into the new version yet and therefore am not implyng anything one way or the other about anything I don't mention below.

The first signs are that, in fact, they have improved shortest routing considerably (at least as far as UK routing is concerned). CP 6 routes my Scraptoft-Rearsby journey (see link below) perfectly, and the same goes for a number of test routes that I have input in Planning mode. I am therefore hoping that Shortest routing is at last going to be overall good enough – at least when Road Type Preferences are all at neutral.

This improvement is offset by another routing disappointment, which is that the route algorithm-tweaking facility is limited, to say the least. Again, I have yet to get far into this, but I can confirm that there is no Avoid Motorways facility; only what amounts to a "Might Avoid Motorways" facility. To be fair, the ALK website caveat mentions this in a caveat, but I do wonder why they included a feature that apparently didn't get successfully developed. Still, if other things are OK, then I suppose there's no need to use it.

I can't get into other aspects of the new version here, not least because of how little time I have spent using it.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21629&start=160

Above link modified by Mod (Privateer)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: