Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Crap Reply with quote

Same problems as you all, works fine for a while, today the phone froze completely 4 times in a row, had to pull over remove that battery and reset, this is useless to anybody.

Can anybody recomend a phone that works flawlessyly with tom tom, i like using poi`s and dont see the point of having it if i cant use it properly.

Anybody want to but a brand new n70 Laughing Out Loud

CRAP!
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 TomTom its faults and a fix, well almost Reply with quote

Hi

I have used the N70 with TomTom now for 2 weeks driving around the UK and it is not perfect but it can be used. I never have to reboot the phone and it only loses the GPS device now and again and then its only for a few seconds.

I have version 5 software on my N70 and as far as i know it is the best fix so far.

It has only been out a few weeks now and you need to go to a Nokia centre NOT downtown phone shops as they will send it away to Nokia and that will take around 3 weeks.

The one near me is in Huntingdon and they are very good and fast.

Best of luck

John
Roden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ill try an update, i know where a service centre is pretty close, its worth a go, then its gone if no go.
docrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roden wrote:
Well ill try an update, i know where a service centre is pretty close, its worth a go, then its gone if no go.

just to let you know not all N70 will update to v5.** firmware. it depends on which network you're with (and possibly other factors). eg. i don't think orange N70s will even update to v3.** firmware. according to my service centre they can only tell what firmware your N70 will accept when they attach it to their machine. seems a bit strange they can't give you some idea beforehand but there we are. i imagine sim free/unbranded phones may accept higher firmware. also not sure if having 3G sim card will help??

by the way the 7610 is an ok phone which works perfectly with TTM. it's a bit sluggish when navigating around the menus (compared to N70) but not too bad. they're about £90-£100 on ebay.
Roden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers will take a look mate. Im on vodaphone by the way.
Roden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URG THAT PHONE IS NASTY, is that the best choice?
docrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roden wrote:
URG THAT PHONE IS NASTY, is that the best choice?

i think most of the s60 nokias are fine with TTM. just N70 seems to have problems. i used to have the 7610 and it worked flawlessly with TTM. i can't vouch for any other unfortunately. sorry :-)
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: N70 version 3 and 5 software and TomTom Reply with quote

Your service centre is wrong.

I am an engineer who has tested phones many phones for release to the public over the past 3 years and Nokia phones are Nokia phones. The only difference is that when companies like Orange, O2 etc etc buy them they get security added to them to lock them to their network and this is normally only just pay as you go phones.

Flashing a phone can and should only be done by a service centre because if it goes wrong the phone can end up dead as a door nail. When my phone was flashed it was dead and only by pressing certain buttons in sequence did it come back to life again.

I find most of these companies down town are not interested in fixing your phone because there is very little if any profit in it.

If you go to a Nokia service centre yourself you normally find you are dealing with the engineer who will actually do the job and have an interest in getting it working.
banger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to several Nokia repair centres around the North West and I keep getting told that Version 3.0456 is the latest N70 firmware. Possibly Version 5 is a beta release and not on general release as yet. I have reverted back to my 6680 and I get no probs at all with that handset and TT5.
alsavs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but i think the latest Ver3.0546.2.3 (N70) has resolved some of the problems.
banger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsavs wrote:
I might be wrong but i think the latest Ver3.0546.2.3 (N70) has resolved some of the problems.

Sorry to disappoint you Alsavs but that is the version I'm running on my O2 N70 and it is still unusable due to the constant "No GPS device" error
nim1206
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On contract with orange on my N70.
Had the phone 'flashed' (twice) @ 2 different Nokia centres, but still shows
version 2.0537.1.7
Was told by both the engineers that this is the latest version for these
N70 phones - somthing to do with product codes.
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: V 5 on Orange Reply with quote

I have now found somewhere that has V5 (or at least claims to have v5), I wil report if true, but again claims that Orange will not support this....

3G I take what you say as gospel, as it can only be so, but it is still worryimg the the guy who might (will) be flashing my phone makes such statements. What network are you with, have their been any down sides to v5, and lastly did you get your network to re-send GPRS access points etc, or did you have to set them back up yourself ?

As an aside to complete my own post from last week, Orange customer service are happy about their phones (i.e. "nothing wrong with BT) as long as your phone can make calls, sent text messages, and access their premium products, The guy on the CS desk tried to sell me a subscription to the orange traffic camera service as an alternative to TT !! what cheek !!!!
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently visited a Nokia service centre whilst on my travels and got my Orange N70, flashed to the latest Nokia generic firmware level which is
v3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

It has made the TomTom BT more stable, but I still get random unexplained problems where it says "no GPS device" and this usually requires a phone re-boot to resolve. Sad

The flash upgrade has cured other problems, but the TomTom issue is still there, although now it is more usuable.

Can anyone conform that using the actual TomTom BT GPS receiver is any better than uing a generic such as the BT-77
immylfc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eaxctly the same problem as everyone!
I went to a Nokia Service Centre in Wolverhampton and carried out a software upgrade/firmware whatever you call it.

The version now is v3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
rm-84

I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver which keeps losing signal also, defeats the object when travelling! after the upgrade it does seem to re-calculate after a short while, but then at times does not do it at all.

Do we have any feedback on when Tom tom will officially have the N70 as a valid handset?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: