Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom 203e - Groundhog Day
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom 203e - Groundhog Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Haicom 203e - Groundhog Day Reply with quote

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Haicom 203e from ebay, obtained an Ipaq cable with the in built charger etc and hooked it all up. With a clear view of about 60% of the sky and 4 hours to sit and think, it came up completely blank, no satellites to be found at all.

Curiously, the time being returned by the GPS was some time in 2003, I decided to unplug the GPS, build a 9pin serial cable and hook it to my laptop to see if I could figure anything out.

Upon removing and re-applying power to it, the GOS reset back to the exact time/date (to the second) that it had started counting from in the car.

I ran a factory reset from the Haicom utility, I even tried a reset using the EverMore utility to reset the time on the device. Now whenever it's powered on, it believe's it's 2pm yesterday.

Obviously it showing the right time isn't a great convern to me, but my lat/long would be handy ;)

The only thing to note is that the device has suffered the stress-cracks a lot of people talk about, around the screw holes.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

Thanks

Matthew
dieselnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention (not sure if it's relevant) that the red light sits and blinks at around 1hz, this happens whether the device is outside with a clear sky view, or whether it's in the office (metal roof)

Matthew
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having to leave my 203 on for a good while, I don't think it was as much as 4 hours but maybe 45 - 60 minutes the first time. It kept reporting a location in the far east until it had locked on to my location.

Having said that, the first 203 I got from the reseller never locked on at all and had to be sent back so maybe you got a 'funny' one? Might be worth dropping the seller a line to check if it was tested and working (I'm guessing not if the date and time was from 2003)

Matt
dieselnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt... the seller says it was used in a vehicle as part of a satnav/tracking system, last working in 2003 (the same date as the GPS was initially reporting) before it was pulled. I might try leaving it out in the car tonight to see if it's found anything by the morning ... Should I have a solid red light once it's got a lock ?

Matthew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: