Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic v4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic v4?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoddyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have sent several e-mails to Michelin regarding the mph/kph problem with v3, discussed at length at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19818.
I'm fed up with recieving the standard brush off from Michelin, and have taken the matter up with 'Euroconsumer' via the Citizen Advice Bureau. I suggest more of us do the same. Software should do as advertised, or be patched; you should not have to pay for a new version 6 months after the previous version came out!
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now finally have got hold of my copy of VM4. Set up was simple but you have to first uninstall VM3 from your PC. Not a problem 'cos if there is any reason to turn back, I still have the discs. If you are a Mapsonic 2.5 or earlier user, I imagine that you would have to load from your discs then carry out all the upgrades if you wanted to revert.

Adding my own POIs was just as simple as before.

I have found out that I can add POIs directly from the PDA mapping to any of the POI files, both the system ones and my own ones.

Obviously, until I take it on the road, I cannot comment much on other aspects of the software. There is a 'Bypass' feature that I am curious to see how it works. It does not work in demonstration mode.

For those who are hacked off with the mapping issues (such as Bridlington being shown as in the middle of Beverley) well, as I could have predicted, that problem persists as the mapping underlying the software is still incorrect in areas. If these are important to you, you really need to report it to the mapping company (Tele-Atlas) as they supply many other navigation systems in addition to VM. If you want to travel to Bridlington and don't know the way then that fault would be pretty important!

The estimated times seem to be closer to the truth than they used to be. Once I had set up my average road speeds for outside London and entered a trip to my in-laws in Plymouth, it returned me a journey time of 3hrs and 24 mins which is not too far away from my timing for the real journey.

The mapping looks clearer on the PDA. I'll write more when I have tested it out in the next few days.
dumpling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Version 4.0 Experiences Reply with quote

martike wrote:
Maybe I missed some other posting on this board, but I think this is the first report on real experiences with version 4.

Dumpling, would it be a good idea to start a new thread with a title like "Report on Version 4" or something like that ?

No reply received from VM yet to my installation error but I've managed to load a map via Mapstore.

Not many new features to justify a new whole Version I don't think. The Speed Warner alerts don't look much use. You have to enter speed settings for Motorways, Major roads, Other main roads, Local roads, Streets and Small streets. You then get the blow of a whistle sound if you exceed the speeds you have entered and a partial flashing screen. The trouble is you don't know which roads are allocated which categories, so you end up being whistled at (for example) exceeding 30 mph in a 40 mph limit. With so much whistleing I've set all roads to 70 mph to cut down the noise.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Version 4.0 Experiences Reply with quote

dumpling wrote:
The Speed Warner alerts don't look much use. You have to enter speed settings for Motorways, Major roads, Other main roads, Local roads, Streets and Small streets. You then get the blow of a whistle sound if you exceed the speeds you have entered and a partial flashing screen. The trouble is you don't know which roads are allocated which categories, so you end up being whistled at (for example) exceeding 30 mph in a 40 mph limit. With so much whistleing I've set all roads to 70 mph to cut down the noise.

I have anticipated that problem. The UK is not as predictable as (for instance) Germany. In Germany, once you are in a built-up area, the speed limit is generally 50kph. Not so here.

I have set my motorway speed limit at a speed that I would not be comfortable exceeding and put all the other road types at 100mph so that in reality, the only warning I will receive is on the motorway.

Anyway, testing starts today ...
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: VM V4.0 Reply with quote

Decided to bite the bullet on an upgrade as I wanted up to date maps. Agree that it's an outrageous cost for the upgrade.

Completely unable to install the bl**dy thing. Had to take off V3 before trying, so in order to use software again, I've had to go through a complete reinstall of V3.

No response from VM to my request for support.

I am a *very* unhappy camper.

Bob
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try questions about support on forums like this. Other users are likely to have had the same problems and know the workarounds.

If VM4 detected some left over VM3 code, it would want you to uninstall. I can only imagine that your original uninstall had not been complete. Pain in the posterior, I'm sure.

Did you use the uninstall option from the VM programme itself? Or did you use the Windows Control Panel method of uninstalling? If a programme has its own option to uninstall, it is always preferable to use it as it will be a more complete uninstall.
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just found this forum!

I uninstalled V3 using the VM route. However, there are no instructions for doing the uninstall on the PDA, so I suspect that might be where it went wrong as the PC end of the installation appears to proceed OK, but the VM4 install fails after the second sync of my Palm.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an HP iPAQ 1710. I did not have to unistall from the PDA, the PC seemed to handle doing that without me having to do anything.

Perhaps some of our Palm users can help out if it seems to be a Palm issue ...
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help but, on my T5, VM3 installes a heap of files into a hidded volume in memory. I suspect it's why you can't recover an installation from a normal BB/BBVFS backup.

You can see this hidden volume with the current version of FileZ (there's an option to view hidden volumes in the FileZ preferences). The volume is called BUILTIN and, on my T5, has three folders: BLAZER (with, not surprisingly, Blazer cache), PALM_DM (with a host of files that can be seen to relate to those in the main RAM) and MapSonic (with files that clearly relate to VM).

If VM4 is refusing to install on a Palm because it still sees traces of a previous VM3, you could try manually deleting these with something like FileZ.
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delayed reply - travelling!

Thanks for the pointer. I suspected there was some stuff I couldn't see. I'll have a dig around with Filez.

Bob
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I don't seem to have the BuiltIN folder, unless I'm missing something.

Bob
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braikes wrote:
Interesting - I don't seem to have the BuiltIN folder, unless I'm missing something.

Bob

You need to set FileZ preferences to show hidden volumes - they're hidden by default.
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have set this preference, but to no avail...

Bob[/quote]
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, all the VM3 files still installed will be in the main file list. They should all have been removed but it's possible there's one still hanging around - unfortunately, there's no way to be sure what it could be. First place would be to look for any with creator IDs HCVM or MSVM.

Also browse through the saved and unsaved preferences files (FileZ includes that facility) and remove any associated with VM.

Failing that, try a reset (depending on your Palm model, a warm reset followed by a reboot may help).

I'm afraid I'm stuck beyond that regarding the Palm. And a cold reset and rebuild should have fixed that already.
braikes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll have another dig around and attempt the installation again in the next day or so.

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: