Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PCPSW Speed Camera Database is LESS reliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PCPSW Speed Camera Database is LESS reliable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many solutions to the problem but all will mean, I am sure, more work for me. So far this month I have processed over 700 changes to the database and these have come via 402 emails all of which I have replied to.

My gut feeling is that most people sending in updates like to see them acted upon and I certainly do not want the extra effort of having to email people to say that I am awaiting for one or maybe two more reports to confirm a deletion. Obviously I have to do a lot of filtering of the data otherwise you would have 10 warnings or more for every site in the country and don't say that it can be done automatically using POIManager because I wrote it Exclamation

Anyway, enough of this as I have some more update to process. I only hope that they are not all deletions Wink

Richard
digital
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, new cameras + cameras removed = 700 in a month? Someone's certainly busy out there!

As for removals from the database. Would it help if you were to put potential deletions onto a list somewhere and ask for the camera's physical removal from the roadside to be confirmed? No confirmation, no removal...
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital wrote:
So, new cameras + cameras removed = 700 in a month? Someone's certainly busy out there!

As for removals from the database. Would it help if you were to put potential deletions onto a list somewhere and ask for the camera's physical removal from the roadside to be confirmed? No confirmation, no removal...

Many of the 700 can be people reporting the same new camera or the location of an existing one. Either way the information still has to be looked at and processed.

Any scheme requiring confirmation will involve me in extra work and honestly I do not need any more Rolling Eyes
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Embarassed

It appears I've opened a can of worms with my post.
It has been useful and good reading though.

Moderator(s) - keep up the superb (and obviously very hard) work.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras removed? Sounds pretty unlikely. Laughing

If you get reports of removed cameras then you could change their names to something that indicates that they are pending removal and a few more people can confirm/deny the existance of the camera.

More work for oldie though Confused
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I did on first using the database was report the removal of a camera that disapeared years ago.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that the speed camera database is superb. These people that are complaining about the database not being 100% correct, I would like to see a system that is. Anyway, nobody is forcing you to use this database and at the end of the day, it is FREE (donations always welcome of course). I believe that the guys at Pocket GPS do a superb job and I would not even begrudge having to pay a small fee for the service!!!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realised that 400+ e-mails were received every month. I take my hat off to Oldie for doing a magnificent job for no reward.

I like Skippy's idea; an icon denoting a camera marked for addition or removal pending confirmation from others but I wouldn't expect Oldie or anything else to do any more work at no charge.

I think it's time this datbase was funded by subscripton, then someone could be employed to work on it and Oldie could have his life back.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, how many downloads does the database get on a regular basis???
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
Just out of interest, how many downloads does the database get on a regular basis???

The team is currently working on ways to improve the reporting, accuracy and frequency of the updates to the database. If things go well ve should be making an announcement at the PocketGPSWorld.com GPS Event in Basingstoke.

WATCH THIS SPACE 8)

Last edited by MikeB on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
I believe that the guys at Pocket GPS do a superb job and I would not even begrudge having to pay a small fee for the service!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidense. We all appreciate how much work Oldie puts in to maintaining and releasing the database for us.

Charging a nominal amount for the database was something that a lot of people asked about at the Wales GPS Meet. This is something that we have frequent discussions about and we havent found common ground yet.

My main argument for charging is that we could then afford to pay a team to survey all the fixed cameras on the database, and possibly some of the mobiles as well. This should increase the quality of the database. On the other hand we have hundreds of people a month cotributing sightings to the system and we are unlikely to improve on that other than for our own consistancy.

One option that we could offer is a flat file with all the fixed cams in without speeds etc and charge a nominal fee for the "enhanced" speed and type related fles.

Any payment system we put in place would involve us in a lot of admin overhead and also enforcement of "unauthorised" sales of the data. We have enough problem with people selling our Speed Cameras on eBay as it is when they are freely available on this site. This is one of the reasons we introduced the Donate button.

At the end of the day we dont want to alienate any of our current users, but we are open to suggestions. If you have a point of view you would like to put to us please post them in this topic.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading this thread with interest as well ,i didn't realize either that so much work went into this ..i take my hat off to you all ,while i know i haven't donated in the past Embarassed this will be corrected shortly
and please keep up the good work
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donated Smile
it's only a small fee but it has saved my butt a few times in the past
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who travels about 25000 miles a year I must reiterate that I have always used the speed camera database. I dont expect it to be 100% accurate and would rather be warned falsely than not warned at all.
Unfortunately some people expect too much from what is a voluntary project (and a damn good one at that)
Just keep up the good work and Thanks for saving all the points on my licence

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE.

Thank you for all your hard work!

The project is superb and despite all these people moaning about the database, they couldn't do without it.

I too travel (almost) 25,000 miles a year - it's 110 mile round trip to work alone and I think the database is invaluable - the Pocket GPS World Points Saver!

Thanks again.

:D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: