Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The only limitation that I might baulk at is the 2hr battery. You wouldn't be able to use away from vehicle for very long. Presumably it doesn't have a mains charger either.

Thats the only downside I can think too... I would rather not even use a cable in the car at all... and a good 6hour battery would have been better! - Why couldnt they have used a battery that lasted this long as you can get small batteries with good life!

mmmm Still unsure whether its worth the wait though - Is everything else on the menu system just like the TTGO then?

Cheers
Darren
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous orator - the battery is the weakest point of the unit and the position of the DC socket is terrible - you have to rest the jack on the dashboard so that the unit doesn't vibrate too much and it will leave a mark on some dashboards (does on my A4), apart from the danger of damaging the DC socket.
Also I left the unit switched off for a week (fully charged), switched it back on again and there is very little charge left.
sidtheparrot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

Would I be correct in thinking that if I bought a Tomtom One from Germany and used my unused, unactivated 256mb tomtom go MRE SD card I'd be able to use the ONE in this country?
Just checking to see if the ONE uses the same software as the GO300.
If the software is different but the maps are the same, then I should be able to transer the German ONE's application to the MRE card and then activate the map????

Now I am confused

Thanks in advance

Chris Smile
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could work. You definately need the ONE's application
sidtheparrot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
could work. You definately need the ONE's application

I hope it does as I've just bought one!
What I can gather the tomtom one, uses an update of the 5.201 named 5.4xx.
On the tomtom website the maps that are available to buy are listed as multiplatform ie GO, 300, 500, One and Navigator 5
I'll keep you informed how I go on

Chris
m100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post after researching for a while - and a sighting of price (with due apologies if this has already been mentioned)?

http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_5_2&intElement=25365

A recent chat with PCW also mentioned the possibility of new stock later this month (they'd had a visit from their TT rep).

Still contemplating whether to go down the 300, 500 or One route...
sidtheparrot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m100 wrote:
First post after researching for a while - and a sighting of price (with due apologies if this has already been mentioned)?

http://www.clove.co.uk/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=400_5_2&intElement=25365

A recent chat with PCW also mentioned the possibility of new stock later this month (they'd had a visit from their TT rep).

Still contemplating whether to go down the 300, 500 or One route...

Hello m100,

You could try here also Link

I have a TT Go 300 and soon to have a ONE also (from Germany), so I'll post my findings on here in the next few days.
Being quite flat in design it has potential to be used on my motorbike too. In the waterproof pocket of my tank map holder, sound being provided via FM transmitter (audio out) over a personal radio????
Battery extender would be an option too.
The Rider isn't an option for me as I cant justify double the money for that unit, I'd never really use it on the bike either as my bike for pleasure only. I never only want to go the shortest / fastest route.
So putting it on the bike would just be a bit of an exercise Embarassed

Chris
sidtheparrot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Got my new TT One Reply with quote

Hello All,

I got my hands on my new TT One today; it arrived today taking 5 days from posting in Germany.
I'm quite lucky in the respect that I have an unused UK plus map, so all I needed to do was transfer the One's application over to it. I now have the latest German map and product code too (no use to me though)
The One didn't need activating with the UK maps; I can only assume that this is because I used an unused map.
So if you’re planning to buy one from Germany and using your activated map then prepare to be disappointed.
The One feels well made and has a more solid feel than the Go; it also has a better form factor than the Go (IMO). Easier on the eye and because of the flat design more portable too, you could slip the One in a coat pocket quite comfortably.
My initial impressions of the One's reception is quite favourable too, the One is pulling in 7 satellites sat on the coffee table in my front room.
Some people have expressed concerns about the sound quality of the One. From my first impressions I can honestly say the One is more than loud enough, not as rich perhaps as the Go range but at the end of the day we aren't listening to music here just "turn left" etc.
The mount looks okay too, but I prefer the docking of the Go mount.
I'll write some more detailed info and perhaps some pictures, when I've got to know the One a little better

Cheers

Chris :D
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will be until we see the One available in the US. Is it a matter of not having enough in production or do they not want to have something that will probably seriously hurt the 300's sales out here until after Christmas?
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
...do they not want to have something that will probably seriously hurt the 300's sales out here until after Christmas?
If that was the case, they wouldn't have released it anywhere before Christmas.

Regards,
Mark.
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the 300 and the 700 available in the US at the same time it was available in other countries or is this release schedule a normal thing for TomTom hardware? About the only thing I've seen as far as a possible release date was on engadget.com and it was a guess that it would ship in the US sometime later in 2006.

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
Were the 300 and the 700 available in the US at the same time it was available in other countries or is this release schedule a normal thing for TomTom hardware? About the only thing I've seen as far as a possible release date was on engadget.com and it was a guess that it would ship in the US sometime later in 2006.

Just as US companies release in their home markets first, TomTom choose to release in their European markets initially.
Martrin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Hands free calling? Can you use One as a hands free kit?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Bluetooth facility is there to access PLUS Services only, it does not have handsfree functionality. For that you'd need the GO 500 or 700.
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks at mytomtomgo.com have a full review of the One available here- http://www.mytomtomgo.com/review_tomtom-one.php. Overall it looks like a winner. They say they got 3.5 hours of battery life and that included using the traffic updates and live weather reports. Not surprisingly they also were impressed by how good the GPS reception was with the new SiRF Star Chipset. Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer for the One to be released in the US.

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: