Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce Launch of TomTom ONE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulman_lost wrote:
forgot to ask,

So My sd card stores all the map details right?

Yup yup.

Quote:

Does it store all this camera stuff too? also if I want to get voice warnings I gether it stores that too and say I want nice pictures .bmp files etc it stores that

It does indeed.

Quote:

so what size sd card would be reccomended if I'm to store all this data and turn into a tinkerer Smile

Basic GB maps take just less than 128Mb. So I would recommend at least 256Mb, however 512Mb is so cheap there is no reason not to just to go straight for that.

Quote:

I wont b e getting any other maps just the uk one is all I need, and I guess the this poi capture stuff and camera one ... and that sort of thing (obviously not quite sure what I'm talking about here Smile )

You say that now but how to do you know you won't suddenly find yourself in France? :P
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're picking this all up so quickly (before you've even got a One in front of you!), one thing that we could maybe make clearer is that although the One will come with a CD, it doesn't have any backup on it. DANGEROUS!

Also, although you can use software on the CD to MAKE a backup, most people here suggest you don't do it that way (as the old version of the CD DIDN'T do a full backup).

When you connect the One to your PC with the USB cable, the computer just "sees" it as another Hard-disk drive (or more accurately a "mass-storage device"), so when you want to make a FULL backup, add camera files etc, or do any other tweaks or housekeeping, all you need to do is copy and paste stuff between the One and a folder on your PC.

Hope this adds to your ever-growing "knowledgebase"
cweck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TT One for my wifes car, have a Go 700 myself, I don't know if it has been mentioned here before but there is a huge difference in screen brightness in the advantage of TT One compared to Go 700. I also did not note a big difference in the sound output compared to Go 700.
taz88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great forum. Thanks to all the info on this site and from you knowledgable lot I've taken the plunge and bought myself a TT One and very happy with it :D .

A question regarding buying an SD card for a backup copy. I've heard that with pocket PC devices a large card results in slower performance because of the time needed to read the whole card. Does anyone know if this is also the case for the TT One?

Thanks!
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom One - Garmin i3 Comparison.

Having just bought one of these bargain TomTom Ones (£224 at Argos) and used it frequently over a couple of days - I thought I'd stir up a hornet's nest and post a comparison to the Garmin i3 I have been running for a while.

Please note - these are just my views - not necessarily facts!

Screen/display - the i3 maps are smoother and nicer to look at (the One's are a bit jagged) BUT the One's are larger and the touch screen is very useful compared to the i3's fiddly (but functional) scroll wheel. I like the ability to 'invert' the screen on the One. One wins.

POIs - the i3 only warns when over the limit and displays what the limit is, the One always warns you and doesn't show the speed limit. Also the Garmin POI loader is easier to use - virtually automatic. i3 wins.

Mount - the One mount is HIDEOUS. It is very large- you need the 'invert' screen facility because the mount sometimes has to be upside down, and it is very fiddly with silly knobs to adjust and it is very stiff to put on and off. The i3 mount is very fast, smooth and exceptionaly easy to adjust. This is an issue for me because I keep switching between cars. i3 wins.

Maps/routing - a mixed bag here. The One's routing is the best by far - it uses the routes you'd choose if you knew all the best routes whereas the i3 can choose some very odd (and slow) ones.

Despite reviews to the contrary - they both are as likely as each other to tell you to turn around. Don't believe the reviews that tell you the One doesn't.

Looking at speed to re-calculate routes the One outstrips the i3 easilly - the One is near instant but the i3 can go into a state of madness - constantly 'recalculating' as it can be so slow you have passed where it wanted you to turn before its finished calculating.

The One's 'detour' function is also superb and has the ability to pick the distance to avoid. My i3's detour function was tested on a motorway and sent me off the motorway then back to the point I left it at after several miles of a detour!

Turning to what I suspect is a 'map source issue' - the One's maps often show one route whilst giving different verbal commands - such as a routed right fork with a verbal instruction to keep left, and they 'miscount' the exits from roundabouts by counting one road twice if the road has a seperating island or central res - it therefore frequently says (for example) "take the Fifth exit" whilst displaying (and meaning) the second.

This is very odd, and no test that I have seen has ever mentioned this - but it is my experience. I presume this is a 'mapping' error. My i3 has never given contradictory verbal and display commands. I'd say One wins routing, i3 wins maps.

Signal Lock - That SirfIII set in the One is great. My i3 goes mad in town with a treated screen - the One holds a stready lock. One wins.

Overall- I'd say the two are pretty even bearing in mind the price gap. The One is a more refined and better specified device, slightly hindered by some mapping defects (though it uses its maps better) and that horrible mount. Whereas the i3 is superb for the money - and that £60 saving is important to many who only want basic navigating.

On balance I'd go for the One and pay the difference now Argos do it (temporarily?) for £224 - and that is the choice I have made. But don't feel bad if you have the i3 - its great too - want to buy mine?
tweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent review and i think from my use of the one i would agree, including the one about roundabouts and exits. On my local roundabout it asks me to turn right then left..thus taking me round the roundabout the wrong way. Laughing Out Loud
In actual fact it thinks its a junction and not a roundabout at all. I suspect that both have some quirks.

I have played with the garmin and yes the screen is good but never had tham side by side but both look clear in my opinion but if you have seen them side by side i will agree with you as i have nothing to go on. The wheel is not as good as the touch screen on the ONE and this is what won me over. A few presses is alot better than a wheel and a lot safer. Not that i use it whilst moving of course !

Again and excellent review with some real info. Great.
TA
zarjaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterfleet wrote:

I want to use a satnav in a Peugeot 307SW which has a "metalised" windscreen. A friend's TT Go300 would not latch on to sufficient satelites to get a fix in this car. Does anyone know if the TT ONE with its more sensitive integrated GPS receiver will work well without an external aerial in this car?

Bought the TomTom ONE yesterday, and it worked perfectly in my Renaulot Scenic (with athermic windscreen). Picked up 10 sats within 90 secs.
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the ONE will almost certainly get a fix with a car with a treated screen - tried it in one at work which sent my i3 crazy - no probs with the ONE.

That SirfIII is the business in pulling in weak(ened) signals.

Good luck.
gd2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweety wrote:
Thanks, i just got my price matched at staples as i got ONE on saturday so was rather upset seeing this but since they gave me 110% of the difference i got it for 218.39,,,now beat that !

Bought mine from Staples last week when they had the 20% offer and they have agreed to price match the new Argos price. Result Tomtom One for £174!!
soulman_lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a mission today to get a TT one firt stop argos in poole (dorset) not in stock no stock till new year when offer ends Sad thought I shall not be defeated in finging my gorgeous sexy little sat sav.

So crazily drove o bournemouth town centre went to the argos there no luck (smart man would've called first, but I well ain't to cleva init) so they turned out to be out of stock so while standing in the pouring rain sniffin stinky starbucks in the air I thought I'd have a go in dixons and try and get them to price match it for me.

Went in there and told them its £224 quid in argos can you price match it for me please, chap says are you sure it was the tt one, was sure was better my sweety money on it. So he does not believe me from his expression thinks heres another ficko who doesn know his TT one from his TT700 (ok fair point never from a few days ago, but main thing is he never knew that) so his says they can definitely price match it if argos have it in store. So I said great knowing in my head that argos didn't have it in store and off he went to call them to verify the price came back and told me that they can't price match summink thats out of stock. I growled at him ok well my gut grownled at him leave off was hungry been running everywhere trying to get one cheap. So left a little disheartened having run out of time to find one.

Well saturday is a new day Laughing have another shot at finding one, if all else fails will get one online if I can find it for anything less than the rrp cos' I feel silly paying that after all the rushing round I did Embarassed

Like the review was quite good Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos website shows the One in stock in several stores near Poole (although slightly worrying it says that Poole itself has them in stock).
Go HERE and you can reserve one for 24 hours
Snig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
(although slightly worrying it says that Poole itself has them in stock).

I find that late at night is a good time to check stock for things like this. I suspect somebody had reserved one and has not collected it so it's been put back into stock.

Regards,
Mark.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Good thinking! Smile
soulman_lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh

Would you adam and eve it ... I checked earlier there was nothing now its showing up as in stock, well reserved one from poole and will get it tommorow hopefully. Maybe they got a delivery in this evening for the saturday rush.

I've got my puma runners on ready to beat the bargain hunters to em' Smile

...sets alarm clock to dangerously early hour.
tweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck....you could get one on the off chance you can get a price match next week when they have some more in stock.....

Staples match up to 14 days after the event but its risky.....

regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: