Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The big Holux question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The big Holux question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: The big Holux question... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'd like to purchase a Holux CR100 as it will amplify my xda2 speaker, tidy cables, recharge my device and work well with my navigation software etc.

However I've been reading I should go with a SiRFStarIII type Bluetooth Receiver not II, such as the Holux GR-236 or GlobalSat BT338 bluetooth receivers.

What should I get? i.e. the CR100 with SiRF IIe/LP chipset support WAAS/EGNOS (no XTrac software is loaded to the chip), maybe even a GlobalSat GH101 Amplified GPS Mount/ThinkNavi GPS mount?

...or go for a Holux GR-236/GlobalSat BT338 and purchase a separate mount with speaker? I'm not sure what my best option is bearing in mind I also want to keep costs low.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of the Holux car kit, but I use a Seidio car kit. see http://www.seidio-europe.com/

You can use either a Bt receiver or a wired one as the car kit accepts an RJ11 GPS input.

I personally use the speakerless version, as I prefer the sound from my Treo, use a wired Sirf111 receiver & use BT to connect to my car kit. Holux supplied direct my GR213 with a connector cable to convert the PS/2 to RJ11. It all works a treat.
joey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Think I'd prefer the amplified mount version though, as my hi-fi ain't bluetooth and my xda2's speaker is crap. Only thing is; it's a costly solution, but I think it is the better one.

Best to go with SiRFStarIII reciever and just get an amplified mount, rather than amplified mount and gps bundle which is SiRF IIe/LP instead and a lot cheaper... I think?
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Sirf111 receivers are much better in my experience. My wired receiver is mounted behid my glove box & never has a problem getting a decent fix.

TTN works well on the Treo 650 & its speaker is very good & plenty loud enough.

With the Seidio cradle you can hard wire it to the car, either direct or to the ignition. I've wired mine to the ignition so that the Holux GR213 isn't powered up all the time & draining the car battery. (probably insignificant)
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joey,
Welcome to the forum!
Firstly SiRFII over SiRF III - this argument could go on forever!
Performance wise SiRF III will win hands down, irrelavant whether its a wired GR213 over the GR211, bluetooth GR236 over the GR231 or even onboard the Nav60.
If what you want is something that will do the job then SiRF II will do that - as it has done for the last 18 months before the wonders of SiRF III! I can put a CR100 with a 2210 next to an XDA2 paired to a GR236, both running TomTom and they will both function in the same way! I have to admit that I'm lucky to be based in the countryside and don't have the joys of driving through the urban jungle every day, which is where you may see a difference in performance if the SiRF II receiver looses lock. Saying that driving through Mancester yesterday, not having a clue where I was going, the CR100 performed flawlessly, clearly stating my every move, even over the singing of the 2 kids in the back!
I think it will come down to the environment you want to use your receiver in, and also the vehicle, as the CR100 does not have an external antenna connection so struggles behind tinted or athermic windscreens.
If you would like to discuss the CR100 with one of our tech support guys please feel free to give us a call.
Regards,
Julie
joey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such an informative reply Julie. Most appreciated.
I decided to go with the Holux GPSlim 236 afterall. I do live in an urban area but my job involves travelling everywhere so I want the best possible coverage and reception I can get... thus I went for the SiRF III.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: