Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyc111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any idea when the new maps will be out, the reason I'm asking is that if it is going to be very soon then I would hold off buying a unit, if not then I would buy one now.....basically I'm not the sort of person that can wait for thing :D
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told over the phone that it will be late this year ,early next year...not very accurate i'm afraid...
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. So to clarify you cant add new map data to existing map data (using a PC CD-ROM/DVD and USB cable) through to an i3 containing the SD card (like you can with Program updates, POIs etc?

2. Do you think it is likely Garmin will send users a V8 map on an SD card? How much does it cost Garmin to produce these cards (are they dirt cheap or expensive)?

3. Do i3 owners only get 1 free map update (V8) of the map kind they purchased with the unit (i.e Map of U.K and basic european roads) or do we get free maps for the lifetime of the product e.g. V9, V10 etc.

If we dont get any free updates of the map we have purchase with the unit at all i feel very cheated and feel it is an outrage as Garmin can profit from sales of new maps differing from the one bought with the unit.

I mean when u buy a virus checker you dont expect to have to pay for every update do you...??

* if its not called an SD card then i apologise but im sure you know what im going on about :D

Thanks for your help being a newbie i just needed these things cleared up for me Rolling Eyes
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London_i3_Newbie wrote:
1. So to clarify you cant add new map data to existing map data (using a PC CD-ROM/DVD and USB cable) through to an i3 containing the SD card (like you can with Program updates, POIs etc?

Not that I'm aware of.

2. Do you think it is likely Garmin will send users a V8 map on an SD card? How much does it cost Garmin to produce these cards (are they dirt cheap or expensive)?

Pretty unlikely, unless you've bought right before they changed over, and then you'd probably have paid less for the i3 with the old maps than the one with the v8 maps will be priced at. If the i3 with v8 maps stays at the same price, Garmin open themselves to a lot of hassle, so I suspect that the i3 with v8 maps will be retailing at a higher price than the current £200. Personal opinion here, not any hard facts... this way Garmin get themselves out of plenty of hassle of having to give out extra cards for free, take back units with v7 maps, etc.
Taking into account the fees Garmin have to pay for the data that goes on the card, and the card itself, I don't believe that Garmin are making much money on the v8 upgrade. Garmin have to give a lot of money to the map makers for each card, and that's a major part of the card price.

3. Do i3 owners only get 1 free map update (V8) of the map kind they purchased with the unit (i.e Map of U.K and basic european roads) or do we get free maps for the lifetime of the product e.g. V9, V10 etc.

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely most people who bought the i3 with v7 maps won't get a free upgrade, and the ones that buy it with v8 maps won't be paying £200. Even if you did get v8 maps free, there's no way Garmin would keep supplying the v9, v10, etc. maps for free, as it costs them money each time - they'd go bust pretty quickly!

If we dont get any free updates of the map we have purchase with the unit at all i feel very cheated and feel it is an outrage as Garmin can profit from sales of new maps differing from the one bought with the unit.

They don't make much money from this, as I understand... the map manufacturers make a fair bit, but not Garmin, they're just passing on the costs. I don't feel cheated, the maps are plenty up to date. If you live in an area that's had extensive new road layouts over the last few years then it may cause some problems, but there aren't many areas like that. Also, it's likely that Garmin have kept the i3 price low due to having the v7 maps. Wacth the price and see what happens when the v8 maps come out. A £200 i3 with v7 maps might look pretty nice compared to a £275 i3 with v8 maps with slightly more up to date info.

I mean when u buy a virus checker you dont expect to have to pay for every update do you...??

Kind of - you have to subscribe every year to get those updates, or they cut you off. Happens to me after every "free 1 year trial" of antivirus software I have, which I then never sign up to actually pay for. Think of the map updates as the yearly subscription, only you don't have to buy them for the i3 to work, they just add a bit more info. if you feel you need it. I'll be sticking with the v7 maps for a very long time, at least until I start to encounter problems with them being out of date (by which time I doubt the i3 will still be in use as it's likely to be several years away)

* if its not called an SD card then i apologise but im sure you know what im going on about :D

I've no idea either - it's too small to be an SD card I think - never seen any other cards that small, though I'm sure it's some sort of standard...

Thanks for your help being a newbie i just needed these things cleared up for me Rolling Eyes

Hope that helps!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the states free upgrades are being given on the city selects brought after june 1st ...just wonder if garmin will be kind to us here in the uk....
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for all the early adopters of the i3 and C310 systems.

I have been talking to Garmin over the last week or two regarding updated maps. They have decided to offer a free upgrade for all customers with an i3 or C310.

Garmin wrote:
All Garmin i3 & C310 customers will receive a free update to V8 mapping. Customers can send their SD or MicroSD cards back to a freepost address at Garmin, along with a self addressed envelope. Garmin will update their card within 3 days, then return the card(s) to the address provided on the envelope.

Please note that this is early information and an official announcement will be made soon. Please do not contact Garmin untill they have officially announced the upgrade details.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did think they would insist on sending the card back to them... hmm a freepost address... but is it safe to send to them in the post. what if it gets lost then ur screwed arnt u :P Crying or Very sad (unless sending it insured or recorded?)

Im going to moan (again) and u-turn and say is it worth the risk it might get lost for a small amount of updated map information Laughing Out Loud :P Laughing

Sounds excellent though if (hopefully) everyone getting the V8 update for free. result :D
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Good news for all the early adopters of the i3 and C310 systems.

I have been talking to Garmin over the last week or two regarding updated maps. They have decided to offer a free upgrade for all customers with an i3 or C310.

Garmin wrote:
All Garmin i3 & C310 customers will receive a free update to V8 mapping. Customers can send their SD or MicroSD cards back to a freepost address at Garmin, along with a self addressed envelope. Garmin will update their card within 3 days, then return the card(s) to the address provided on the envelope.

Please note that this is early information and an official announcement will be made soon. Please do not contact Garmin untill they have officially announced the upgrade details.

Top stuff Garmin! [assuming this is confirmed]
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm pretty impressed as well. Earlier replies in this thread or one of the others implied that they would have to pay a licence fee for any upgrades. If they do have to do that I reckon deserve a big pat on the back.

Thanks Garmin
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! I'm really impressed that they've done this - they could have probably worked a way around doing it but they seem to have decided that customers come first - bonus!
slabologist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, well done Garmin.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

That is very nice of them.

Can you press your contacts about getting POI alerts retrofitted to the Quest too. :D Wink
soulpeb2704
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps from ANY GPS providor are usually updated but at a cost, the i3 is an excellent if basic GPS route finder, but then so is the Tomtom, at £199 it is good value and if the map updates are chargable SO WHAT accept it is an upgrade and note NOTHING is free that is worth anything.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulpeb2704 wrote:
The maps from ANY GPS providor are usually updated but at a cost, the i3 is an excellent if basic GPS route finder, but then so is the Tomtom, at £199 it is good value and if the map updates are chargable SO WHAT accept it is an upgrade and note NOTHING is free that is worth anything.

WOOOOT. Firstly welcome to these forums. I don't think that TomTom is comparable to Garmin which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better particularly when it comes to customer service. Also it was unfair to charge people who'd bought the device a few weeks ago for an update as this would mean that their newly purchased machines are actually dated which is wrong. You are right that there is nothing for free but the price is to get more customers which should be the goal of every decent company. :D
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too harsh on Garmin, I think they've done a really good thing here. They certainly weren't under a legal obligation to provide updated maps and I don't think they were under a moral one either. At the end of the day any set of maps will only be accurate at the time they are produced (and even that is debatable). It will have been at least a couple of months from when they first brought out the i3 to when new maps are available and I don't think there was any reason to hold back introduction of the unit until new maps became available nor any obligation to warn that new maps would be coming out at some point.

Like I say, I think they've done a GOOD THING here and should be applauded for it, especially if they have to pay a licence fee to the new maps.

Well done Garmin, I say

Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: