Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest/Quest2??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest/Quest2??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazebuster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Quest/Quest2?? Reply with quote

Question A local retailer has a Quest for sale at £199.97. No box or instructions.
How do i know whether it is a Quest or Quest2 ???
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go into the settings page, and choose "About Quest" it should tell you the software version.
The latest Quest version is 3.5
The latest Quest2 version is 2.4

This is most likely a Quest - and by the sounds of it an ex-display or pre-owned.

Ask to examine the software, if it is open check for the yellow piece of paper containing the unlock code.
Note down the Registation code (the shorter number) and go home.
Put the number into the "returning customer" section of http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/default.asp

This will tell you if the unit has previously been registered - if it has I wouldn't buy it. If there is no software I wouldn't buy it either.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine for £330 so that's a pretty good price. Pretty sure it's an original Quest that you have been offered.

The newer model has "Quest2" in red letters on the front. The original has "Quest" in black letters.

The thing to check is that the unit is not registered to someone else (or stolen). If it is registered to someone else then they can and should transfer the unlock code ownership to you. Ask the retailer where it came from and pay them using a credit (not debit or charge or switch or maestro) card. This way, if there turns out to be any problem with the ownership of the unit or unlock codes then you can dispute the transaction with your card issuer.

Make sure the shop are giving you a valid unlock code and the City Select v6 or v7 CDs or you won't be able to change the maps.
blazebuster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an ex-display model, in fact it is still on display. I plan to use it on my motorcycle ( BMW R1150 RS ), and would like to be able to download the speed camera database. Do i need the Quest 2 for this?? Question
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazebuster wrote:
Its an ex-display model, in fact it is still on display. I plan to use it on my motorcycle ( BMW R1150 RS ), and would like to be able to download the speed camera database. Do i need the Quest 2 for this?? Question

You can install the camera database using WiRED's camera overlay but it won't be able to alert you when you approach a camera which makes it of limited use in my opinion.

Feel free to write to Garmin and ask them when/if they are going to retrofit the POI Alerts feature to the Quest 1. Quest 2 will have it when it is released in Europe but it's a lot more expensive than the 1.

See this thread for a discussion of this and how to nag Garmin about it.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the camera overlay very usefull on the bike!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: