Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm) Reply with quote

Not sure what it will be about, but not good for TT
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame them (TT or PC World) for incompetence (should have found this site for some advice first) Laughing Laughing bad press I think not PC illiterate maybe - Mike
PAUL-R-S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i missed it.

what was said ?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beat me to it
saw it on tv , i personally think it was down to incorrect use & blaming it on the device ..........,so ok i have been down 1 or 2 dead ends but she seemed it go into 1 dead end after another ,even into some high voltage area
or am i wrong
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Don't blame them (TT or PC World) for incompetence (should have found this site for some advice first) Laughing Laughing bad press I think not PC illiterate maybe - Mike

99% of people buying a SatNav system will never visit a GPS newsgroup or web forum. These people will expect the product to work as advertised without problems or expect support from the manufacturer or retailer.

I suspect that the reported problems were more to do with the installation and/or competence of the user rather than the product(s) - 4 different units from two manufacturers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_m wrote:
mikealder wrote:

or competence of the user rather than the product(s) - 4 different units from two manufacturers.

My point exactly, you can lead a horse to water etc. Mike
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2 min slot which was proberbly more to do with TeleAtlas and bad maps than TomTom or PC World
NorthBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was going to say.

The two products they slated, NavMan and TT Go both run outdated TeleAtlas maps which are probably to blame.

Still means the products are poor though, as they run the maps!!

Chris
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the maps are outdated
but it also comes down to a driving aid ,not something you blindly follow ,otherwise i wont be writing here tonight as the amount of 1 way roads i was suppose to follow the wrong way i would be dead by now
and yes these maps should be sorted long ago we all know that ,but like hoppy said it's bad maps not tomtom in reallity
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the item was incoherent. It showed TT Go but was really about how a single user had used three products by a diferent maker without satisfaction, then bought a TT Go and found the maps not to be perfect. The details were sparse. Whilst I acknowlege that TT isn't perfect, I though the item sais more about the user than the system.
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By engaging your GPS it doesn't mean you should also disengage your brain, it can't think for you Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to this - I have driven around that area (I even recognise it from the footage shown - its near the truck stop at dartford) on a number of ocasions in both cars and 44 ton wag and drag units (pax only) never have I gone into a dead end, let alone a HV substation as depicted. I have used TT3 5 and 5,1 in that area and never had a problem so its got to be down to the user - stay at home if simple instructions are too difficult (oops not posible to say that anymore as it illegal - what a joke) Twisted Evil - Mike
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think you are being a bit hard on the woman driver . I'm not sure that the TomTom should have been made to look worse than the Navman , but if you have never been directed into a no entry , no through road , bollarded street , disused country lane or non existant road , then you are extremely lucky . I believe tt5 is worse in this respect than tt3 , in spite of having more up to date maps , and the "quickest" routing will send you down some very doubtful roads sooner or later . Sat nav isn't idiot proof , foolproof or even
feeling-a-bit-tired proof but I don't expect PCworld emphasize that fact.
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the program tonight so not sure where the area was but I was looking for a McDonald's restaurant in Leicester recently and TT wanted to throw me left off a flyover onto the road below. As I went past the flyover it routed me down a single track road for over two miles into a farmyard before it told me to make a U turn and retrace my steps for 2 miles, this time wanting me to 'fly' right to my death onto the same dual carriageway below... 8O

This was using TT3 which seems to have the popular opinion of being more accurate than TT5

Talk about frustrated...I remember having to brake sharply to avoid Postman Pat auditioning for the next RAC Rally down this farm track as the Bluetooth receiver attempted to launch itself through my windscreen... Twisted Evil

Would TomTom consider this a warranty repair? Laughing

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to say "quickest" , should have said "shortest " in my post . Have seen other stories like Glyns in these forums , my own misdirections have been avoided by making a u-turn , but I wonder if anyone has actually bent some bodywork .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: