Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My i3 review + help requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My i3 review + help requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: My i3 review + help requests Reply with quote

Hi

Just got my i3 yesterday.
I was initially worried about the small screen as I have a PDA GPS plus the Garmin GPS-V and the GPSMAP196 which all have larger screens.

I was suprised at how effective the screen really is for its size. Obviously with a larger screen you can pull up lots of other information, speed, time, ETA, DTA etc but I mostly look at the moving map so no real loss.

The two button interface is so simple to use (yep, I know it has 3 buttons, but one is on/off only)

I have been able to input nearly 100 custom waypoints within a very short space of time, the GPSMAP196 and GPS-V with all their buttons takes much longer.

I ran the i3 against the GPSMAP196 and a 200 mile route took a simillar time to calculate, they differed by 4 miles so I will check the difference on friday when I drive the route.

On short trips, both the i3 and GPSMAP196 were identical on calculation, route and values (speeds, warnings and distance).

Niggles:
I have found no way of displaying the current speed when navigating, it does show in the map view when not navigating.

Voice prompt only says "1st" or "2nd" whether it is the first or second turning on the left or right or junction off a roundabout.

Viewing favourite finds (waypoints) lists them by proximity, I cannot find a way to sort them alphabetically (this is a big let down with potentially 500 waypoints)

Waypoint names can only be input in correct case, i.e. first letter capital, I cannot find a way of forcing all uppercase or lowercase names.

The scroll wheel can be a little 'touchy' at times and you can sometimes hit the wrong selection and have to go back to correct it. I am sure this is just a case of getting used to it. It seems to have a small delay when you first use it, eg. Entering a waypoint name, the first movement of the wheel invokes a slight delay, almost like a dead spot on the wheel, after that it works instantly. (unless mine is faulty)

More to follow.....
upthegardenpath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My i3 review + help requests Reply with quote

danoli wrote:
.....Voice prompt only says "1st" or "2nd" whether it is the first or second turning on the left or right or junction off a roundabout......

Danoli...

...it should say "turn left", "turn right", "enter roundabout and take 3rd exit "(etc)

Have you downloaded software release 2.4 yet?

Reading other posts in this forum, people with "voice problems" have been advised to change the language to another and then back again

see this from swampmonster (sep 11 '05)...
"I posted a question at Garmin support re the problem I was having with voice commands and the hanging problem. Customer Support at Garmin Support seems a really good guy and responds quickly. The master reset on it's own didn't solve the problem and I wrote again and he suggested doing the master reset again but when it asks you for a language choose
a non english option. Then once that has been installed you will need to
then change the voice back to English. It might be worth noting that I waited whilst the language files loaded and didn't press the wheel as instructed, after about five minutes it went the next option on it's own. This worked brilliantly and I now have a unit that seems to work. "

Or you could ring Garmin Customer Support (0870-8501242 ) who have been helpful, by the sounds of things others have said.
upthegardenpath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to say...

if you do the master reset , you will lose all your user defined data but IMHO its better to do it now and get it working properly, then reload all your data
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I think the problem was when I first switched it on. Chose the English language then waited for about 2 minutes. After about 2 minutes I thought it had locked up so I powered it off then on. So I probably interupted the voice file download...
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted it. Switched the languages to another and back again. Patience...... Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to say that mine has said previously "take the 6th exit from roundabout" but upthegardenpath beat me to say about resetting the voice files...

regarding speed when you're driving - the speedo on the car is much more accurate... i wouldn'y rely on the one from the i3 alone!

my only niggle is as follows:

no way to get lat/long details from favourites and therefore no way to back them up Sad without going to a mapping website, finding the area and doing it that way round.
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
regarding speed when you're driving - the speedo on the car is much more accurate... i wouldn'y rely on the one from the i3 alone!

I am suprised you find that. GPS with good sat coverage will geve very precise speed, far better than the average car sppedo which can be 10% out. My car is doing 61mph when indicating 70mph...

I have compared the GPSMAP196 with the i3 when not navigating the the speed comparison is identical. Both gave excellect sat coverage. I have confirmed the GPSMAP196 against numerous other devices including police speed cameras (friends in the police Smile )and the accuracy is second to none.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the speedo in the car is constantly updated, the satnav will check satellite locations periodically giving possible misleading speeds every so often...

just my opnion though

MaFt
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but the speedo in the car is constantly updated, the satnav will check satellite locations periodically giving possible misleading speeds every so often...

just my opnion though

MaFt

The GPS (assuming good coverage) updates every second giving pretty good accuracy, unless you have a really fast car that can accelerate more than 10-15 mph per second, then it would be inaccurate (during acceleration). During a normal cruising without much speed fluctuation, the GPS can give accuracy far greater that a standard fit car speedo.

I always keep my eye on the car speedo though, just in case of gross errors on the GPS.
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

GPS speed is much more accurate than a car speedo.

I've just sold an ex police Vectra which had a calibrated speedo with 2 mph increments, ie; the one which is fitted to all the Traffic cars. Unfortunately I didn't have the i3 when I had the Vectra but, we have some of those Your Speed signs around our area which I checked my Vectra against and the speeds were exactly the same.

I have also checked the speedo in my Mam's car, my motorbike, bro-in-law's car and a friends car and they all have a few MPH's error to the signs, leading to the fact that all car speedo's have an amount of inaccuracy to them.

I haven't checked the i3 against the speed signs yet but when I do I will post the results.
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Popped my i3 into my wife's Seicento last night to check speedo accuracy. At all speeds above an indicated 30mph it was reading 5mph over the GPS indicated speed. My understanding is that speedos in the UK may read up to 10% fast, so hers is clearly outside this tolerance. My feeling in that the i3 is MUCH more accurate than the car. At 30, it just feels like 25 and would explain why she seems to have a long queue behind her on speed-limited roads!
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said earlier i have also the micro road pilot which detects safety cameras as well as the i3 and working side by side the i3 is spot on with the pilot. On there web site they say it is much more accurate than any car speedo, so yes the i3 speed is spot on.
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramases wrote:
Hi
Popped my i3 into my wife's Seicento last night to check speedo accuracy. At all speeds above an indicated 30mph it was reading 5mph over the GPS indicated speed. My understanding is that speedos in the UK may read up to 10% fast, so hers is clearly outside this tolerance. My feeling in that the i3 is MUCH more accurate than the car. At 30, it just feels like 25 and would explain why she seems to have a long queue behind her on speed-limited roads!

Well, today I tried it in my new Tigra. Speedo just 1mph above i3 indicated speed from 30 to 60 .............
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Speed accuracy Reply with quote

The Garmin will be more accurate than your speedo.

The 10% rule went out many many years ago (many officers don't even know that!!) - believe it or not there is an EU formula for speedo error.

The formula is as complicated as you would expect from the EU - what was wrong with the 10% I ask.

No speedo is allowed to under-read BUT at 70mph the formula allows for about 17% over-reading. Yes that is 17%.

God bless Europe. Evil or Very Mad

i3 - great piece of kit.
ninjagaiden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be stupid but ...

There obviously is a way to get i3 to display vehicle speed, but I can't work out how to do this. Have fiddled with unit and also checked manual.

I'd be grateful if you could explain how this is done.

Thanx

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: