Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inaccurate post codes for Garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inaccurate post codes for Garmin i3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Inaccurate post codes for Garmin i3 Reply with quote

I've just received my Garmin Streetpilot i3 and the first 3 post codes I put in were inaccurate for one reason or another. My home address came up about 3 miles away from where I live and on a different road, my parents house wasn't listed although it is ten years old and a friend's house was also incorrectly placed.

I'm using V7 of the mapsource maps, does anyone else have this sort of problem?

Doug
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Inaccurate post codes for Garmin i3 Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
I've just received my Garmin Streetpilot i3 and the first 3 post codes I put in were inaccurate for one reason or another. My home address came up about 3 miles away from where I live and on a different road, my parents house wasn't listed although it is ten years old and a friend's house was also incorrectly placed.

I'm using V7 of the mapsource maps, does anyone else have this sort of problem?

Doug

I have had one or two unknown postcode but these are ones known to be inaccurate. Have you tested them on anything else, i.e Autoroute or google maps?
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tested them in multimap and the addresses in Tom Tom 3. Both show the correct position.

Part of the problem with the Garmin is that there is no means (that I'm aware of) of being able to refine a selection. Either the town/village is in the database (my village isn't) or you have to rely on a full post code search.

In Tom Tom 3 (on a pda) I can get to the approximate area and then use the touchscreen to select the right spot, I can't do that with the Garmin.

Fixing my home address is not too much of a problem but if post codes are inaccurate then the whole thing is worthless.

If it works I like its form factor much more than a pda but - does it work?

Doug
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the postcode and i'll have a look too.

MaFt
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post code is IP29 4AF - this shows in the Garmin as in a village called Chedburgh on the A143 whereas in fact it is a smaller village called Brockley on the B1066 about 3 miles east of Chedburgh.

Thanks

Doug
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bizarre... the royalmail site also shows brockley... may be worth getting in touch with garmin to see if they can get it corrected with their map suppliers? not had any trouble with postcodes. are you able to put 'hedgerows, brockley and house number' in a standard address search without postcode? if so, what postcode does it give once it's been searched?

e.g. i search my address 'hill top road, thornton, bradford', and it shows the full address with postcode bd13 3qx. maybe they changed your postcode without telling you... Confused

MaFt
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I type in the village name it finds the correct Brockley (actually it only displays one although there are 3 in Suffolk and ours is called Brockley but is Brockley Green on maps!! - that's Suffolk for you) but the road that I live in is not displayed. It is part of a new(-ish) development that is about 4 years old so I would have thought that the maps should be up-to-date (particularly as Tom Tom 3 DOES show the road!). The post code shows only the first 4 characters when it shows the address so it is difficult to see if it is correct or not.

I guess the point you make is that post code searching IS pretty accurate and I've just been (very) unlucky.

I really like the compactness of the device particularly after having a b** great pda on a stalk stuck on my windscreen. But, at the end of the day, I need to be confident that it is going to navigate me to the correct place, otherwise I might just as well use the wife.

To anyone else that has read this far - what is the general opinion of its accuracy and usefulness?

Doug
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran..dont forget mate you can allso use the find an address mode instead of postcode search.......my opinion on my 'gobby gabby'....great!!
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
But, at the end of the day, I need to be confident that it is going to navigate me to the correct place, otherwise I might just as well use the wife.Doug

At least the i3 has a volume control and the ultimate, the OFF button Smile
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran

I have also had a post code problem, we live in a private courtyard which has only had its postcode allocated last year, however when i put it in the i3 it tells me i live .3 miles away ?

This is the only time i have encountered a postcode problem & i simply got round it by setting my home location from where the unit was at the time rather than from a postcode.

I checked the postcode on the royal mail site in case it had been duplicated but this wasn't the case. In fact they advised me that this was the first time this postcode had ever been used in the uk Question
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINH wrote:
I have also had a post code problem, we live in a private courtyard which has only had its postcode allocated last year, however when i put it in the i3 it tells me i live .3 miles away ?

Hmm, is it possible that your postcode covers an area which is .3 miles wide or is it just a few addresses in your courtyard?

Have you tried the postcode in Multimap? Does it show the correct location?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think skippy might have a point..my postcode covers nearly my whole street thats why shops also ask for a house number and a postcode....maybe in more rural places a postcode might cover a larger area ...just a thought...
Lewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a small problem with the i3, it will not find Cardiff!! until i get there, from Swansea!!!!

So I have to travel to Cardiff then input where I want to get to Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewy wrote:
I have had a small problem with the i3, it will not find Cardiff!! until i get there, from Swansea!!!!

So I have to travel to Cardiff then input where I want to get to Confused

mine finds it... 'where to' 'cities' 'cardiff' then find cardfiff, s.glam

MaFt
Lewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, but cant find it from address, it says post code or city, but will not find either till i near there!!! odd, other than that its ace.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: