Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 --> Navigon 5 switch worth it [long]?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 --> Navigon 5 switch worth it [long]?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DareDevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 --> Navigon 5 switch worth it [long]? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have been using TomTom 3 and now TomTom 5 (PDA) for quite a long time. I like TomTom 5 much less than the previous version for a number of reasons (being bug ridden is one of them), so am considering to switch to a completely different product.

Could you please help to know something more about Navigon? I have written a list of questions about "problems I would like to solve with the new software or features that I wouldn't want to loose" ... :-)

1) Minus side: TomTom 5 looses from time to time and on a random base all the preferences (favorite locations, POI settings, ...). which is *extremely* annoying. Does Navigon has similar problems?

2) Minus side: TomTom 5 does not always restart properly. You start the car and the software either:
- does no start
- start ok, but cannot synch with the GPS
- synch ok, but it does not display the map correctly
What about Navigon?

3) Plus side: TomTom 5 POIs can be modified by adding new ones, such as speed cameras. Can the same be done with Navigon (it seems to me it can be done)?

4) Minus side: TomTom 5 maps are country based so it is impossible to navigate in Europe without switching manually maps at the border: no end-to-end navigation. A partial solution is to use the so-called "MRE" maps that cover Europe at the level of major roads, but the coverage is really poor. What about Navigon? Can you load maps and navigate across several countries?

5) Plus side: simple interface. When it works, TomTom 5 is good. Just make one/two choices and you are done. This is extremely important when driving a car, you don't have to time to fiddle around too much. What about Navigon (I have read reviews and IMHO it seems more complex, but I understand it can be customised as well) ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

DareDevil
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Navigon 5 & now use TT5 as I did not get on with N5 (I found it did not run in real time on my Mio).

None of the problems you list with TT5 happen on my TT5 setup using a Mio 168 PDA so I would try to solve the problems you have before switching software. I did like the look of N5 more so than TT5 but that is all I liked about it & I find the buttons you need to press on TT5 much easyer to use & faster, which like you say is good while driving.

I know many here love N5 so I am sure it's a fine prog to use but it was just very poor in my book.

Mac
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a Medion 95000 (rebranded Mio168) GPS with Medion Navigator 4.2 (a version made by Navigon), I liked the Medion so much that I bought a new Mio168 and also bought TomTom3, now Navigon then did the version 5 so I bought that to update the the Medion from v4.2 to v5, but this was a big mistake as far as I am concerned, Navigon 5 even with the update to v5.1 is just so slow on my Medion as to render it useless as the map is always 3-5 seconds behind your current position, so I have now gone made and laid out more cash for TomTom5 and I am very pleased with it.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use Navigon Navigator 5 with update to 5.1, and the upgraded map, I also use Tom Tom 5.1. I am using a Medion PPC250 pda, the Navigon software suffers none of the problems you are having with TT5, it has many POI's already shown on it such as Shell, Esso, garages etc, plus Car dealerships shown Ford, BMW etc, plus hotels, shopping centres and car parks. I drive for a living and on the POI's that are supplied especially the hotels and car parks it is vastly superior to TT5. So you may ask why do I use TT5? well the navigon software in conjunction with "Poi Warner" just does not (for me anyway) work properly with the speed cameras, sometimes it does not give a warning. The Navigon software interface is slightly slower to use than TT5, the other big advantage that TT5 has is when you hit traffic, it allows you so much more options, you can go via somewhere, avoid part of the route, there are 4 or 5 different options. Unfortunately the Navigon software gives you one "Block rd" you then estimate how long the road is blocked for and it re routes you. This leads to another problem in that you cannot see where it is going to send you first (You can in TT5 Browse route). So although I think Navigon is superior in many ways, I resort to using both. When I need to find a Hotel or Car park in a town, and my general everyday driving its Navigon. Incidentely when I first got Navigon it did run very slow and locked up my PDA but after the updates it is fine now with no lag. However when I get stuck in traffic I change to TT5, the ideal software would be a combination of both!!

Hope this helps

Steve.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: