Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A couple of simple question...I hope!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of simple question...I hope!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: A couple of simple question...I hope!! Reply with quote

Hi, there's few things that are puzzling me for a while, and I was wondering if they could have an adverse effect on a Medion PPC 150/ Mio 168.

1) Does the GPS (Aerial) on the Medion causes heat? I can't tell as I use TT 5 and I know that is one of the reason that the PPC gets hot.

2) Even though I get a full Gps display bar in TT5 with the Gps (Aerial) in its closed position, is it advisale to open it or does not make any difference?

Now for something completly different.
A few days back i contacted Sprite Software as I wanted to try Sprite Backup on my PPC. Not only those nice people at Sprite send me the link, they also send the registration code as I was one of the first 50 people to show interest in it.
Well, what do you think of that!!!
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Mio 168 which I use both in the car & when out walking. I have no problems in the car using it in landscape mode with tha antenna down.

When out walking I used to use it in a shirt breast pocket (antenna down) but found that GPS position on Memory could be out by outo 40 mtrs in some locations. I think this could due to the fact that it was picking up signals from satellites closer together in the sky (directional effect elimanating those behind me). Since using the external antenna (in the top of my rusksack) accuracy has improved greatly. I don't think this would be a problem with Tomtom as it 'locks' gps position to the nearest road unless you are 'off road' more than a certain distance.

I intend to make a custom built box to house my Mio (and battery extender) with the antenna up that will attach to the shoulder strap of my rucksack (the angle is just right for the unit to sit on the shoulder with the flip up antenna in the correct orentation) so I will not have to keep unplugging the Mio when I remove the rucksack.

As for getting hot, how HOT is hot? I do not feel much heat (if any) even when the Mio is on charge (I have a battery extender) & in use in my pocket with my coat fastened.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveLifeGoJump wrote:
Hi

As for getting hot, how HOT is hot? I do not feel much heat (if any) even when the Mio is on charge (I have a battery extender) & in use in my pocket with my coat fastened.

Hi, the PPC only gets hot while running TT5, otherwise there is none or very little heat. I think I read it in he forum somewhere that the heat problem is due to TT5.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used TTN 3 & 5 and not noticed it getting hot (other than that caused by the sun through the windscreen). Have even used it hand held in the back of a car with no heat noticed.

How hot do you mean? Warm, quite hot, hot or very hot.

When on charge in car it would get warm from charging current. Using Tomtom should be no difference than using any other GPS based program (such as Memory Map). I sometimes use GPSgate, Memory Map & TTN5 at the same time with no noticeable heat build up other than norman charging warmth/heat.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does get quite hot. I also use navigon 4.4 and the ppc don't get hot at all. Also when using the ppc, for hours on end, linked to my pc there is hardly any heat at all.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After running TT5 in Demo mode at 500 for an hour, with the PPC sitting on the desk with the gps flipped open, as to aid heat dissipation, I came to the conclusion Idea that is neither the PPC nor TT5, but the plastic plate mount (the one that the PPC slides in) which is coupled to the swan-neck that its retaining the heat. I will drill a couple of ventilation holes and see how it goes.
Leif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GPS position on Memory could be out by outo 40 mtrs in some locations"

On Mitac Mio 168, Yakumo Delta 300 GPS, etc. with SiRF firmware version 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.0 0000003729, delivered since about June 2004, it could be caused by the SiRF static navigation setting being on by default.

The intention of this setting is to avoid jumping positions when driving by car and stopping at intersections.

It can be turned off with the program SP GPS View.

BR
Leif
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question
Hi Leif, I think you have answered the wrong post Wink
Anyway I'll will copy it in the right place.
Leif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second post in this thread:

LiveLifeGoJump wrote:

When out walking I used to use it in a shirt breast pocket (antenna down) but found that GPS position on Memory could be out by outo 40 mtrs in some locations.

Sorry. I should have used the quote function before.

BR
Leif

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: