Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Folders for Favourites?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Folders for Favourites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james23_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Folders for Favourites? Reply with quote

I dont suppose it's possible to operate a folder system on my tomtom for my favourites. eg all my friend houses in on efolder and all my work POIs in another?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You suppose correctly!

Favourites - along with other personal settings - are held in a file called xxx.cfg in the map folder, where xxx is the name of the map in question - e.g. Great-Britain-Map

If you delete or rename the .cfg file, the system will create a new one. So I suppose that you could rename the file after creating all your personal favourites - and then load your work favourites into the new version. The problem is that you'd have to connect to a PC each time you wanted to use the other set.

A better solution would be to forget about Favourites per se - and just use POIs. You can then one POI file which holds locations pertaining to your personal life, and another one which holds your work locations. These can happily co-exist - subject only to the overall limit on DIY POI categories which is 27 for v5.2 or 40 for earlier versions of the software.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
james23_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, creating POIs sounds a little too advanced for me just now. Thanks for the info! Smile
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james23_uk wrote:
Hmmm, creating POIs sounds a little too advanced for me just now. Thanks for the info! Smile

It's quite simple!

Change Preferences / Manage POI / Add POI Category

You can use this to create categories called (say) Friends and Work

Then Change Preferences / Manage POI / Add POI

Select the appropriate category - and create each POI in much the same way as adding a favourite.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And anything that you have already saved as a favourite, can easily be copied into your new POI categories in the same way Smile

Change Preferences / Manage POI / Add POI/

Select your POI category / Favourite

Once you've tried it it really is easy - and is my prefered way to add anything (like new speed cameras) when I'm on the road because its less presses to save a favourite, then move it and rename it as a POI later.
james23_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, I thought you had to make POIs on your PC and transfer them across - didnt know it was as easy as that.

james23_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I read somewhere that there was a way to increase the number of POIs to above 27 on 5.2 software? Now that I've upgraded my cameras to multi-speeds I need more room.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of, other than going back to 5.1 or waiting for 5.3 where they've 'promised' to put it back to 40. Think it's due October or November
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james23_uk wrote:
Oh right, I thought you had to make POIs on your PC and transfer them across - didnt know it was as easy as that.

No - if you're doing lots, like all the railway stations in uk or something, it's much easier to do on a PC - but small quantities can quite easily be created on TTG itself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: