Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interfacing with AutoRoute
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interfacing with AutoRoute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Interfacing with AutoRoute Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the above? from what I understand I need a serial interface cable for the Streetpilot i3? problem is... I can't find one anywhere, I was thinking maybe making a cable up but I need a plug to fit the strange looking socket on unit, I have sourced a supply of replacement PC/USB cables which I guess I could attach a "y" joint with a serial plug... any ideas folks?

Cheers
Paul
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you want to do this paul?
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
why do you want to do this paul?

Good question zogman!

I noticed whilst using AutoRoute that it was possible to connect a suitable GPS so not wanting to be missing out on something Smile I thought lets give it a go.

See below for snippet copied from AutoRoute help:

"You can configure the map to remain centred on your current location, to rotate to follow your travel direction, and to display a trail showing where you have traveled. In the GPS task pane to the left of the map, you can view the latitude and longitude coordinates of your current location and your altitude, the most recent time your GPS receiver recalculated your position, the speed at which you are traveling, your compass heading, and the strength of the satellite signal.".

I think reference to altitude will be for GPS units that measure altitude and then most of those I have seen use barometric measurement rather than satellite.

I also have other weather satellite software which allows input from a gps, so generally it would be nice to be able to interface through my serial port.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the i3 is just a basic plug n play gps without trackback for instance...if you want to do the stuff you mention have a look on the garmin site at the various gps specs,i'm sure something will suit..
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having checks the specs on the i3 I would say it is compatable with AutoRoute if so then the way I interpret the info is that AutoRoute software does the track back etc not the i3. the i3 does conform to the NMEA specs required so I see no reason why it won't work?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would'nt a basic etrex do that..
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidish wrote:
I think reference to altitude will be for GPS units that measure altitude and then most of those I have seen use barometric measurement rather than satellite.

The GPS doesn't need a barometer to measure the altitude, it can do it from the satelite fix. It's just not as accurate as the lat/long (about 1.5 times the position error).

In my experience it's pretty good though, checking the reported altitude at sea level or surveyed points (ie on mountains), the height is within 10-20 feet of reality.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Word from Garmin Reply with quote

Thanks for your input zogman & skippy.

I have received a reply from Garmin sales support and it would appear I was wrong in assuming the i3 conforms to NMEA protocol, I was sure I read somewhere that it did.. oh well save me wasting time making a serial adapter cable, all is not lost Smile I have the GPS bug good and proper now Laughing Out Loud I just ordered a Etrex vista from ebay will be good for when I am up them there lakeland fells Smile
I am still more than satisfied with my i3 I have created and added poi's for my favourite fishing waters...where will it stop Laughing Out Loud next thing wil be a fish detector.

See Garmin's reply:

"Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting Garmin

Please note that the i3 only connects to a PC via a USB Cable. AutoRoute
will need serial connection because it requires a different protocol called
NMEA to talk between the software on the Garmin GPS. Which I'm afraid that
the i3 does not support.

With Best Regards,

Ollie Stone
Sales Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd"

Cheers Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: