Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Plotting recorded routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Plotting recorded routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Plotting recorded routes Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advice me on a PC application that plots a recorded route (from an NMEA-log) nicely onto a map? I was hoping that MS Autoroute would have this ability, but I haven't seen an option for importing NMEA-files...

/Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing like a NMEA file. What you have is comma separated files (csv) . THose can be read into Autoroute or Mappoint.

TomTom provides anther twist to that story - they messed up and specify Longitude, Latitude, description instead of the worldwide standard Latitude. longitude, description. So you will need some Excel macro to convert from TomTom to standard.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
There is no such thing like a NMEA file. What you have is comma separated files (csv) . THose can be read into Autoroute or Mappoint.

TomTom provides anther twist to that story - they messed up and specify Longitude, Latitude, description instead of the worldwide standard Latitude. longitude, description. So you will need some Excel macro to convert from TomTom to standard.

Ok, but since I only have programs that output logs on NMEA format I would need an app that converts these logs into csv format. There must be a way to do this, right? Or do I have to open the log file in Excel an try to extract the long/lat values? I'll experiment a bit with this and let you know how I proceed. But I would be very grateful if someone could let me know how I do this automatically.

By the way, I'm not using TomTom to create the logs, but GpsGate for PocketPC. My navigation program (Navman SmartST) has a feature for recording log files, but unfortunately these logs are only intended for Navman's internal use.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie has a program which converts the TT log to a POI file.

Extarct from his readme file:

"Program name: LogConverter v1.04
Purpose: LogConverter can be used to show the track stored in a TomTom Navigator Log file by converting it to a format suitable for display in a mapping program on a PC, or by converting it to a TomTom POI overlay for display in Navigator on a PocketPC."
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Oldie has some smart application in one of his drawers that takes an NMEA log as input...? This is the general data format for all GPS receivers so it would be of much use for all of us (i.e not only those who are using TomTom).
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Plotting recorded routes Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Can anyone advice me on a PC application that plots a recorded route (from an NMEA-log) nicely onto a map? I was hoping that MS Autoroute would have this ability, but I haven't seen an option for importing NMEA-files...

OziExplorer for PC will do this through free add-on utilities to the main (paid-for) program.
Another option, as you're running GPSGate on the Pocket PC, would be to use another app simultaneously to create the log in a smaller format. For example, I can create small tracklogs as I go in OziExplorerCE. Or I can use GPS Speed Sentry to create a small CSV log file with only the fields I specify put into it - you might be able to create something with that which will import to MS AutoRoute.
Hope this helps
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Maybe Oldie has some smart application in one of his drawers that takes an NMEA log as input...? This is the general data format for all GPS receivers so it would be of much use for all of us (i.e not only those who are using TomTom).

Oldie's LogConverter will convert from Navman logfile format to .csv which can then be displayed on Autoroute.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your advice!

I made an interesting discovery tonight when I opened one of the log files recorded in Navman SmartST (with extension gps) in a text editor. They are in fact NMEA logs!! As Tim mentioned I can use Oldie's log converter tool to convert these gps files into asc format, that can in turn be imported and plotted in MS Autoroute - just what I wanted.

The thing is however that the log recorder in SmartST is far from reliable. It skips part of the route even when I have perfect fix all the way. So what I did was to use NMEA logs recorded with GPSGate instead and change the file extension from nmea to gps. Then I could use Oldie's log converter to create asc files. And suddenly I hade a perfect plot of my route in MS Autoroute. Wonderful!!!!

One goal of my logging sessions is to find out how well EGNOS is working at this point in time. If I can record one log of a given route with EGNOS disabled and another log of the same route with EGNOS enabled (after acquiring DGPS fix) and then compare these plots I should be able to see a difference. If I'm lucky I should see that the log file with EGNOS enabled follows the road on the map better.

I'll let you know of my results.

Regards,

Ulf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: