Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Proximity Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Proximity Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huk..i noticed this as well but if you look at the screen it tells you which way to go then once you approach the first turning it then starts talking...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUK wrote:
zogman wrote:
would it be to sad to start a thread to see what everyone calls their i3...

Yes. Mines called babs.....

On a side note, I have found that once I have navigated to by destination and then go to leave, it doesn't tell you where to go until you have been moving a short while. I found yesterday it said 'turn left' when it was basically too late for me to do so. It recalculated of course but by the time it had I had missed the next two turns it kept trying to recalculate to(albeit not quick enough!). However, it still got me home so shouldn't complain too much. It just needs to be quicker at times...

i found my friends did this (it was one of those on a palm-pilot or something similar. anyway, i think it has to do with not only working out your position but also what direction you're travelling in - which obviously requires you to be moving. it's annoying, but it's not the end of the world! i've stopped before now while it recalculates to make sure it doesn't have to do it 6 times!! Laughing Out Loud!

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUK wrote:
it doesn't tell you where to go until you have been moving a short while.

The more expensive in car satnav systems have a magnetic compass built-in so it can tell which way you are facing but most removable GPS systems rely on you moving to figure it out.

I tend to move forward slowly for about 6 feet so it can orient the map correctly and then have another look at which way it's telling me to go. Confused
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to subject of proximity alerts, is this just my units (2.4)?

Most days going to work have the unit turned on, but not in navigation mode, just map view. When approaching the only speed cam en route I get the usual beeps and flashes (+ icon if speeding).

Yesterday I tried using the navigation to go to work and thesame POI alert (Mobile 30) didn't happen. When I had stopped at the lights I 'stopped navigation' and as sooned as I started moving it warned me. Tried it again today there and back and get the same.

Anyone else not getting warned when in navigation mode, but warned in map view?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuppa..i'm getting warnings in both navigation and map mode..maybe in navigation mode unless you are going over the 'set' warning speed the i3 will not show the warning..
Cuppa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
cuppa..i'm getting warnings in both navigation and map mode..maybe in navigation mode unless you are going over the 'set' warning speed the i3 will not show the warning..

Approaching at 50mph (in a 60), speedcam is just inside the 30mph zone on a roundabout.

Might be coincidence, but roughly about the same part of the road that I get the alert in map view as when I get the vocal direction prompt in navigation mode. I wonder if there's a conflict?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly..at least we get a warning of a camera be it at 19 mph or 50mph...i'm happy to slow down and be more alert at these points and i'll put up with the 'bonging' noise untill i pass the camera...at the end of the day we only payed £199 for a unit that does so much...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: