Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Finally TMC is supported!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally TMC is supported!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Finally TMC is supported!!!! Reply with quote

But not yet in the UK ;-(

I was very excited when I was on the Dutch site PocketPc-Cluband read raving reviews about Alturions version 5 for the PocketPC. It now supports TMC for traffic updates regarding jams and roadworks and thus dynamically adjust your route.

It can be used in two way:

1. Via their own webserver (tmc.alturion.com) which has got an TMC radio receiver on it. This is similar to the Livewire service from Co-Pilot as you need an Internet connection from your PDA.

2. More interestingly they also support the combined GPS/TMC receiver mouse which is of-course without any daily running costs as it picks up the radio signals and does not require GPRS or anything.

So I contacted Alturion to see whether their new TeleAtlas maps supported TMC in the UK as well. There very quick answer was:

Unfortunately not now, but will do in the near future.

This is great news for those of us who want the features of a built-in system (although it is only VDO in the UK who can offer this) with the practicality of an PDA.

In addition Alturion has got some excellent features for pan-european navigation directly across the borders. AND traffic information is already working for the Benelux and German countries....

Regards,

Jean-Paul de Jong
nissemus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Finally TMC is supported!!!! Reply with quote

I'm interested in Alturion as well. Is there any reason why Pocket GPS hasn't reviewed it?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Good question, we've requested a copy on numerous occasions but none has ever been sent. We'll try them again and wait and see if anything turns up this time. I'm not sure whether they do have UK maps that they will actually sell, because there doesn't appear to be anyone selling their software in the UK that I can see.
nissemus
Occasional Visitor

I've just had an email from Alturion saying that their product "is not yet released or available on the UK market".

No explanation why.

Oh well, if they don't want our money...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The last I heard was about 6 months ago and it was being beta tested by a few people in the UK, and was ready for release within about a month. But that never happened.
nissemus
Occasional Visitor

Navigon have a TMC product as well, but:

- the spoken directions are only in German;

- the maps only cover Germany, Austria, Switzerland, North Italy, Côte D´Azur, Monaco and Alsace.

Looks like we'll have to keep waiting!

cfcjohn
Occasional Visitor

I have been beta-testing Alturion in the UK for over a year now.

Will need to check what I'm allowed to reveal, but I can confirm there are UK maps, it all works on the PPC and desktop. The developers and support people are normally very helpful and responsive (unlike TomTom)!

Will have a chat with them and get back to you. I was going to write a review for you some time ago, maybe now is a good time!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: