Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone using the TT 5 SDK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using the TT 5 SDK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Anyone using the TT 5 SDK Reply with quote

Is there anyone on this forum who is using the TT5 SDK ?

Has anyone actually managed to get answers from TT about SDK-related support issues ? It seems to be like talking to a black hole.

I have some issues using their Geocode function and am looking for anyone out there who might be able to offer advice.

Cheers,

Martin R
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try me...

I know that TomTom are not yet officially supporting the SDK for non-business user. This is a shame, really.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MartinR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: SDK Geocode issue. Reply with quote

Who said I wasn't a business user ? We're working for a big taxi fleet to integrate TT into our job dispatch system, with potential sales to TomTom of up to 3000 licenses. They still don't want to know...

Now for my problem:
It seems that whatever I pass into Geocode, it always comes back with the KGeocodeStreetAmbiguous flag set in the result status, even if the street is most definitly and totally unabiguous. Hence I have no way of knowing whether to trust the result or not. In the TT 3 SDK this worked correctly, and would only set KGeocodeStreetAmbiguous if it failed to find an exact match.

Also, the UK map data is totally inconsistent with the spelling of saint's names in streets - e.g. "Saint Anne's Road" vs. 'St Martins Lane' etc.

Any ideas ?

Martin
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom told me they are already in contact with you. Please confirm.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MartinR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are. Shortly after posting my ealier message I've managed to get some response from them.

However, that doesn't really excuse them. It's taken me nearly a week to get anyone from TT to actually take any interest in my problem.

For the benefit of anyone else looking at using the Geocode function, it would appear that the KGeocodeStreetAmbiguous flag is returned even for non-ambiguous matches, unless you pass in the whole street name including the postcode prefix (postal area) exactly as it appears in the TT map data. Not exactly very useful.

Also, the SDK NavigateToAddress function will return success (without any hint of any error code anywhere) even if you pass a really ambiguous street name with loads of possible matches. Again, not exactly very useful !
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MartinR,

I’m afraid that I can’t help you with TomTom SDK5. However I found out last week, when I had my gas boiler serviced, that British Gas have integrated TomTom Navigator 5 into their dispatch system. British Gas use a Panasonic PocketPC with built in phone.

As soon as the engineer has reported (via his laptop) that he has finished a job, the dispatch system finds the nearest "next job" and sends the details to the PDA, which then asks whether the engineer wants directions.

I was fortunate as the Post Code for my place, within TomTom, is very accurate. The engineer that I spoke to said that the system sometimes sends them to the wrong address or even the wrong area.

BTW, you’ll probably customise the menus for the taxi drivers. Please don’t do what British Gas do and give their drivers just one page of five functions.

Also have a think about incorporating the PocketGPSWorld camera database into your system as well. I’m sure that the drivers would appreciate it. Don’t forget to ask Mike or Darren about licensing the database. ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MartinR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The engineer that I spoke to said that the system sometimes sends them to the wrong address or even the wrong area.

This is exactly the kind of problem that I am trying to avoid!

NavigateToAddress will often do this, especially if the street is named after a saint, due to the various ways that saints' names appear in the map data.

If an SDK application can reliably know when a geocode result is not reliable, then at least it can (in principal) warn the driver not to trust it. However, the current SDK implementation does not work well enough for this to be possible without a LOT (and I mean A LOT) of care and clever programming on the part of the application developer.

TomTom really need to sort this area out, and fast, if they are to gain any credability in the commercial sector.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinR,

what you can do is provide the driver with a map of the first result (there are features in the SDK that allow you to do that) and have him/her confirm that that's indeed an address that makes sense. If not, provide the next result etc.

TomTom are at the mercy of TeleAtlas surveying the street name properly. Pretty easy where you are, nearly impossible in my area where the same street can have up to four names and twenty three variations on how to write it, and TeleAtlas nearly always picked the wrong one.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MartinR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesnt' work - the SDK Geocode function only returns the first (i.e. best) match, and provides no means of obtaining the list of other possible matches.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: