Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Ni-MH AA batteries ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Ni-MH AA batteries ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Best Ni-MH AA batteries ? Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone recommend the best AA Ni-MH batteries to go in a 4 x AA battery box for my Mio 168.
I am looking for the longest life possible. I currently have Uniross 2300, is there anything better now?
Also what is the best charger? I read somehwere here that some chargers stop before fully recharging a battery set.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on the Maplins web site, they are good batteries and cheap
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Uniross "Sprint" ultra fast charger for my 2300 mah batteries that will charge them in 2 hours and work on voltages from 100 to 240 as well as 12volts via the supplied car jack. Maplins now stock 2500 mah version batteries
Dave
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use these
http://www.gpbatteries.co.uk/home.htm
they have been very reliable, i use the gp battery charger which again i cannot fault.
i did notice that http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777_5_503
had some 2500 four for £3.99 with a free case, at this price they might be worth a buy.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bought rechargable batteries I searched the web and foun a number of sites that had carried out tests on various makes of batteries and in the majority the Ansmann range came out best, especially for the 1 hr recharge type. I was going to get the uniross batteries (seen locally prior to web search) but these did not score as good as the Ansmann. The Ansmann Digispeed4 fast charger comes with 4 2500mah batteries & will charge then in 1 hr. Not chear but worth it.

Checkout this link

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/ftopic3652.html

for info on a battery extender. Mine took 3 days from Japan, How they did that I don't know as it was ordinary post.

and this one
http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Ansmann_DigiSpeed_4_ULTRA.html
for battiers & charger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick word of warning if you use high capacity batteries get a suitable storage case to keep them in, I have on one occasion put a set of 4 AA fully charged 2300mA in my pocket with my keys, the result was a burnt leg an melted pocket liner - treat them with respect as they can be dangerous if not treated carefully - mike
big-al-13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

just wandering does it have to just 4 aa batterys or could it be 8, would this last longer or would it be better just to have 4 and change them when getting low
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight for conveniance, you don't need to change them - but I would go with four plus four, then when the first set run low you can swapp them out and be more economic with the second set to get you home. Also with the rechargable batts they tend to loose their power very quickly once they get past there optimum, some times with very little warning. Mike
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Mio168 I used mine for 2 hrs (Tomtom with display light ON ALL THE TIME), fitted the battery extender (4 x AA 2500mah Ansmann) which piowered Tomtom (with light on) for 20 mins then Memory Map for 5 hrs & back to Tomtom (with light on) for a further 15 mins before needing to start on my second set of 4 x AA Ansmann 2500.

In my case it appears that Tomtom consumes batteries twice as fast than Memory Map so If I had not used Tomtom then I would have expected 10 hrs continuous use with Memory Map on Mio battery + 1 set AAs (backup set would have provided another 6 hrs. use).

Using the ScreenOff utility (does not work with Tomtom) extends battery life by 25%.

Hope this info helps.

ps if you are really desprate you can use ordinary AA (Duracell or similar) batteries out of friends cameras Laughing .
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICheck out 7dayshop.com

2500mah, quick (Intelligent) charger (Including being able to charge in-car) and change out f £15.
iangus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one thing thats prevented me from getting into walking with a gps is the lack of power (not of me, the batteries!) - eg id guess i would get about 6hrs from my ppc and 8hrs fom my bt gps...... if im walking for 12hrs im a little up the creek. is it possible to get some sort of rechargeable battery pack to plug the usb of the ppc and gps into should they run out of power?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a small pocketable box to power the PDA's / GPS you will need a car charger lead in addition to the bits listed below, I typicaly get an extra eight hours using this before the on-board battery starts to get used. The bits are all from Maplin (and no I don't work for them) - you could use other batteries if you want - the higher the capacity in mAh is beter.
L48AL Batts + Charger
RN34M Box
WD68Y 12v Socket
RK44X Batt holder (8way)
HF28F PP3 Clip
You will need a drill to get the socket into the box, and a soldering iron for the wires - if you want to fit a fuse then add it to the list. - Cheers Mike
iangus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info - but from past experience me tinkering with soldering irons etc has not been the best way forward (indeed much regressive!) - is there anything available commercially/already put together to simply plug into the ppc?
iangus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem sorted-yahoo! http://www.addonsworld.co.uk/product.php/20584/891/#description
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's helpful

thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: