Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Active Topics malfunctioning?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Active Topics malfunctioning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Active Topics malfunctioning? Reply with quote

Hi Dave and all,

I'm used to using the "Active Topics" button to show which threads have had activity since my last visit.

A few days ago, even though I had "since last visit" selected (and the last visit time was being displayed correctly), I started seeing threads shown as active that clearly weren't. This problem is still ongoing

Any advice? Anyone else affected?

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Active Topics malfunctioning? Reply with quote

Every now and then for some reason the Active Topics glitch. I believe it's a bug in the forum software that causes this, because it rectifies itself on it's own accord. Whenever it goes this way I'm usually on my way out for a few days or a week, so it seems like it has a mind of it's own. I'll take a look and see if I can narrow it down further, but won't have much time to spare on it until after the summit.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Isn't that always the way - that a bug arises when you haven't the chance to debug it! If it helps any, it seems to be the same threads incorrectly appearing in the "Active Topics" (since last visit) display.

I hope you have a great time at the summit. There's no way I can join you - and not much point even if I could get myself to the Lake District. Being pretty much wheelchair bound and unable to drink any alcohol would, I think, rather cramp my participation! Still, I hope you all have lots of fun!

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think the bug is a silly one, and it's coming across a message with a special character embedded into the message and this sometimes throws the AT off. I'm not sure why, or how, but the code doesn't change and hasn't changed for about a month, and the database doesn't store AT's so it's really down to calculating them up on the fly, and that's where it's hitting a snag when reading a message. Needle in a haystack springs to mind. We hope to have a great time at the Lake District, and totally understand, it's not really the most forgiving place for wheel chairs.

If the summit goes off well, we might look at doing some road shows to local hotels around the country and get manufacturers and retailers in to demo gear which might be easier on a lot of people not having to travel too far or stay overnight.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The problem has swung the other way now - it's not showing any active topics since my last visit about 12 hours ago! This has been ongoing for around 48 hours. I'm having to choose active since yesterday to get any output - then pick the threads out of that.

Maybe you have time to take a look now - though I understand that you may have some post-Summit recovering to do (and no - I wasn't meaning a hangover, but doing all the other things you had to put to one side).

I hope you all had a great time in the Lake District - and my thanks for understanding it would have been essentially impossible for me to join you all in any meaningful way.

Life as a wheelchair user can be tough when people don't bother to try to empathise. However, when people take the time to think about the difficulties as far as their experiences and understanding equips them to, it's really appreciated. I'm not expecting everyone to be an expert - just to use what understanding they have. It's such a help when people understand how frustrating and upsetting it can be not being able to do things.

Cheers Dave - I'm grateful, not only for showing understanding of my situation but for all your efforts (and those of the rest of the staff) with the forums and Pocket GPS.

Maybe I'll get to meet up with some of the staff some day. I gather that Duncan is in Bedfordshire - which is where I live too.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: