Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 3000 Sleeve does not work with TTN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 3000 Sleeve does not work with TTN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnathan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 3000 Sleeve does not work with TTN Reply with quote

I have recently upgraded my old navman 3000 software to TT Navigator 2. Unfortunatley it is not very usable as it takes 20 minutes to fix to start and everytime a fix is lost, so when I loose lock, say under a bridge for more than 10 seconds, the software does not start working again for 20minutes or so. With my old Navman 3000 software everthing worked fine. The GPS display show good Sat. coverage and good strength yet it just won't fix for 15-20 minutes. This has made the software a bit useless as inevitable on the way to somewhere I loose fix and am lost.

I have contacted TT, but I have found their support very poor, it seems to take 5-7 days to respond to any emails, and their response is "Upgrade to the latest version" which has not fixed the problem. The last email I got from them said that the fault lies with the receiver and not with the software, which is implying that Navigator 2 is not compatable with the Navman hardware as it works fine with the Navman software.

I simply don't believe this especially as TT have released a bug fix already relating to TTFF problems.

Can anyone help? TT aren't keen to.

Regards

Johnathan

René
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 3000 Sleeve does not work with TTN Reply with quote

Hello Johnathan

I dont know if this will help you but I have a Navman 3400 and I was told to get the updated driver at Navmans homepage. That I did and I haven't had any problems.

Good Luck

René

René
julia
Occasional Visitor

Johnathan

Time to first fix has been a problem for me too, my nickname for my NAVman 3000 TTN combination is GPS lost! With previous versions it can take tens on minuites, particularly if moving. Losing lock before the NAVman has "warmed up" by driving under tree etc can cause lock to be lost for a long time again. Once a good lock has be established for some time tempory loss of signal appears not to be as great a problem. I guess this is because the NAVman has been able to calibtate itself and hence can aquire/keep lock bette.

Upgaded to 2.22 this week plus the new TTN driver. On first power up took ages to get lock. But now 2 days latter I have just got a lock in ten seconds (unit not used in between). May be too early to say but it looks like something has been improved.

I also use memory map navagotor on my iPAQ 3700 and this has always got a lock faster.

I you are not using the latest S/W suggest you get these from TT website plus the latest driver from the NAVman website.

TTN 2.22(358)

TT GPS driver V2.05 273/358

George Pickles
Occasional Visitor

Jonathan,

Ditto... I've got latest TT2 software v2.22 and latest Navman drivers for my NavMan 3000 and my experience is pretty much in line with Julia's. First fix after upgrading was nearly 20 mins. But after that, the fixes are quite quick.

Unless the software developers really muck things up, the latest drivers tend to be the best bet...

George
Johnathan
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Thanks for your ideas and comments. I have upgraded to 2.2 last week, and TTFF is much quicker if you are stationary, however I am still finding the same loss of lock problem when driving under trees etc, and it can take 10-15 minutes to re-lock - by which time you are lost!

What I don't understand its the fact it takes ages to lock after loosing the lock for 10seconds (under a tree etc) even thought I can see excellent satelite coverage and power.

I am not impressed with TT support, they simply don't seem interested in helping and do not reply to my polite emails.

Any other bright ideas?

Johnathan
George Pickles
Occasional Visitor

Johnathan,

The one thing that I have found, that has really improved the performance of my NavMan, was a re-radiating antennae.

I bought it when I had the original NavMan software, it improved the number of sats I would get a fix on. TTFs would be quicker.

I find that without the re-rad installed in my car, the NavMan takes forever to get a fix... moving or not!

Going through tunnels or under trees I will always get a fix back fairly quickly

The guys here reviewed both the powered and battery re-rads. (mine is powered).

I personally could not recommend it enough!

George
quasimodo
Occasional Visitor

Johnathon,

I had the same trouble. I have a iPAQ 5450, Navman sleeve and SD card. I was originally running SmartST Pro on it and all was working well.

I bought the TTN2 because I fancied the 3D route.

Anyway I installed everything, I had the latest driver from Navman (serial driver 3 1 6) Installed the software and upgraded to 2.2.

All to no avail! No fix! after a couple of hours I would get a fix on the map but switching over to Nav view all I ever got was "GPS unreliable!" very frusterating as you can imagine. I phoned "Tom TOM" support and they recommended the following.

- Do a soft reset on your Pocket PC

- Remove TomTom Navigator from your Pocket PC

- Remove TomTom GPS from your Pocket PC

- Remove any map from your Pocket PC

- Install TomTom Navigator application, Voice files and GPS to the internal memory of your Pocket PC

- Install the map(s) on your Pocket PC

- Do a soft reset on your Pocket PC

- Install the TomTom Navigator upgrade

- Install the TomTom GPS upgrade

And for me it worked!!! Dead chuffed! It now takes +/- 5 seconds to get a fix and even after loosing it after a tunnel the time to recover is the same. Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: