Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beta Testers for CP6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta Testers for CP6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a more enthusiastic user category than Skippy's group 1, who find CP "OK".

While disappointed in the new bugs found in CP5, I can't get through life without CoPilot. Especially on motorcycle rides it is an essential instrument. There are features not to be found in the other GPS products, and I need all of them. And the thrill of using this fantastic technology still has not worn off, as long as I don't try to use the broken features.

And don't tell ALK, but I am a captive customer. I have to have a fixed version, free or not. I don't care if it comes in a fixed V5 or new V6 as long as it comes soon.

When it is fixed I will buy a second copy for my wife. She is not computer-adept, but she could quickly master the interface for navigating to Contacts and Favorites when these are working properly. We both make many trips to destinations we have never seen.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting comments on this thread,especially about CP5 users switching to a different product........
Having bought a HX4700 with a Navman bluetooth GPS reciever,this came with the Navman ST V2 software,which whilst I didn't require,I loaded onto my old 3970,with GPS Jacket to just see what it was like.......
CP5 was loaded onto the HX4700.........BIG MISTAKE...... CP5 locked up on every detour forcing a soft-reset every time,and frankly,the POI notifications were starting to be a pain in the butt......

As I didn't want to become dependant on "flakey" software,I started using the Navman Software,a pleasant suprise,good routing,good map detail,POI's only designated by a chime,and an astounding detour function that re-calculates routes straight away without lockups or drama's.

As I was driving down to the South of France this summer,I bought the latest version of Navman software (V3) and used that throughought the holiday,it performed faultlessley,religating the HX4700 with CP5 to a backup unit..
Ok so V3 uses TeleAtlas mapping,TBH it does on the odd occasion "loose" a road or two,but overall the package is better than the current CP5.

And what of CP6?,no doubt I'll buy it when it finally comes out,but with reservations........ALK's silence on the proposed release is not "golden",they should be informing us of at least "Features" they are going to fix.........

I used to be one of their "die-hard" users,ever since CP3 but no more....
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Skippy got it about right in that there isn’t a great deal else that can be said about Copilot itself until we see it revised or replaced. His point about biting the hand that feeds the forum team and the possibility that its members are likely to be Beta testers is interesting, though.

ALK desperately needs to eliminate the myriad of faults and absurdities in Copilot. To accomplish this, it needs Beta testers who are not afraid to acknowledge the existence of these problems. Of course, going public with information on a Beta would be out of order – for any Beta tester, whether beholden to ALK or not. However, if any Copilot Beta testers on the forum team feel that they cannot say what needs to be said, then that is not going to do ALK, their customer or the forum any good. The same applies if ALK are looking only for praise from their Beta testers.

As some users do not appear to have found, or understood, the problems in Copilot, it seems likely that some Beta testers will have similar experiences. I would therefore suggest that if ALK want to have an effective Beta trial, then they would do well to put Beta testers in touch with one another. Testers could then put forward problems to each other to try out.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
the possibility that its members are likely to be Beta testers

At this very moment none of the team members is beta testing CP6. But this is mainly due to workload - too many other products in the pipeline. If and when we enter beta test we will let you know - the NDA certainly doesn't prohibit to admit participation.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin writes:

Quote:
none of the team members is beta testing CP6... If and when we enter beta test we will let you know - the NDA certainly doesn't prohibit to admit participation.

That's fair enough, Lutz. Nevertheless, it doesn't stop ALK themselves giving users some indication of what is happening, or otherwise offering some reassurance.
peterweg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: CP6 on Gizmondo? Reply with quote

http://www.gizmondo.com/webshop/uk/product_info.php?products_id=149

"Full UK post code support incuding reverse lookup"
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterweg gives a Gizmondo link and says:

Quote:
"Full UK post code support incuding reverse lookup"

Is Peterweg suggesting that we can take the existence of Gizmondo's own navigator, which is apparently a version of Copilot, as implying that all is now well with Copilot? Alternatively, might he be suggesting that ALK are steaming ahead and disregarding the problems; or is he suggesting something else completely?

Whichever is the case, it leaves CP 5 users completely in the dark "as far as I can see"!!
peterweg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sugguesting that if the Gizmondo version (which has been released, apparently) has full postcode support then maybe CP6 will have it and will be released soon.

Its only a guess though.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probbably the same version of cp that runs on the roadangel

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does seem apparent from all these dedicated versions of Copilot popping up is that ALK have seen fit to devote time to dragging in new customers without looking after their existing ones.

I wonder if they have fixed any of the faults and absurdities before selling the product to these new customers. If so, why have CP 5 users not had the benefit of them as implied by Dave Burrows in June?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sentiments aside (although I actually agree on that point), having numerous different versions around, can only bode badly for the future when applying upgrades.

As a software tester by profession, I know all to well that ALL tests should be run against ALL versions - but what happens in practice, is that there is a fixed testing budget, which gets spread thinner and thinner!

While I can see a short term business advantage of having numerous customised versions - I am also all too aware of the potentially serious (possibly even fatal) long term consequences.

However, if (as we all hope) these are in effect just updates to the existing base, which will be applied to it in the future, the problems should be reduced or even eliminated.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
While I can see a short term business advantage of having numerous customised versions

I seems to me that ALK have cut deals with the likes of Gizmondo makers and they are concentrating on this market. The downside of this is that they are neglecting their PDA and Smartphone users. Crying or Very sad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Quote:
seems to me that ALK have cut deals with the likes of Gizmondo makers and they are concentrating on this market

It does seem that could be the situation. I can envisage a firm having to do this having left the work necessary to revise its product too late – until after it became generally understood that its “Super Product” status, as accorded to it by the original review on this forum, was unjustified. In such a situation, the firm may have decided that it won’t risk the expense of getting the product right, but that it will instead resign itself to selling a basically unchanged product cheaply for bundling with hardware.

If this is NOT ALK's situation, then it needs, at last, to put in that long-delayed hard work in order to regain the support of existing customers, who will then be able to help it gain market share.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what ALK think of these amateur analysts, continually re-opening festering sores and offering their, surely unwanted, business advice.

Just picture the board meeting.........

"O my god, some (a few, a Homer Simpson handful) people on the forums think they know our business strategy and they don't like it, what shaaall we do!!"

Another pointless post from the keyboard of...........

GB
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:
I wonder what ALK think of these amateur analysts, continually re-opening festering sores and offering their, surely unwanted, business advice.

Laughing Joker Twisted Evil

An interesting thought, but I'm pretty sure that they really don't give a stuff what we think. They are running their company the way they want to and that is their prerogative.

I am certainly not offering ALK any business advice, my advice is directed at potential customers. ie: CoPilot is junk - don't waste your money like I did. :x

As I have said in the past, if ALK offer me a full refund then I will uninstall and return CoPilot and stop complaining about it, but until then I (and others) will keep pestering them to fix the problems in the software they sold us. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: