Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 killer faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 killer faults
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: TT5 killer faults Reply with quote

I have suffered most of the problems mentioned elsewhere on the forums and overall the program feels very flaky with my setup. Even so there are a couple of killer faults which make the others almost irrelevant.

Pulling a caravan it is essential to be able to adjust the speeds for different roads - and also to try and prevent routing down minor single track roads - and to give me realistic journey times.

Also on similar theme it is essential in route planning for a caravan tour to be able to block of certain roads which are unsuitable for towing. This was easy in TT3 using the avoid function. This has gone in TT5. So at the moment have gone back to my trusty TT3 and don't really know what to do next as I suppose TT3 maps will gradually become outdated. TT5 is just not useable as it is. Anyone figured out any workarounds?

Minor point but the single press memorise position was also useful You can do it in TT5 but not with a single press. Overall TT5 feels like a backward step with loss of functionality and features. All this assumes that TT will eventually fix all the bugs.

Ipaq 4700 Holux Wired GR- 211.

Andy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should assume that they won't fix those bugs. TomTom do not seem to see caravan towers as part of their main audience.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe TomTom don't see caravan owners or RV / Motorhome owners as their main audience , but they sure as hell won't advise you not to buy their flawed navigation products for such applications. A personal navigation system should be applicable to any personal vehicle.
Are TomTom products still advertised in caravan and motorhome magazines ? If so , why ?
No , I don't tow a " wobble box " as moderator Alix776 so elegantly refers to them , but I do understand the frustrations of not being able influence the road choices by setting the speed limits on local roads. This used to be a well known proceedure with tt3 , I seem to remember that Alix and other heavy goods drivers posted lists of speed settings in these forums
Of course you can choose alternave routes ,browse the suggested routes , get your old paper maps out , ask your mates , or just ignore the routing , ....you pay you money and now you can choose .
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have found a poor workaround - in advanced routing you can specify a road to go via - thus hopefully forcing it to avoid the road you don't want to go along. But you still need paper maps routes etc to achieve all this!
Anyone know of a more caravan friendly navigation program - like TT3 used to be!!!

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy- I have read on here elsewhere that when planning the route select the "Limited Speed" option and then select a lower speed for route planning, not too sure how this works but others have reported beter sucess when using it. Apparantly it will still go for the main roads/ motorways etc but will avoid the back lanes? Mike
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike - am looking into that but trouble is you still can't be sure it wont take you down a road you don't want to go down - thats why the avoid feature was so good once set up you knew it would not route that road.

Andy
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another annoying feature missing from TTN5 that was present in TTN3 is the ability to backtrack along the same route just taken.

Having worked out the best way to get to any given destination - it is then useful to be able to do the reverse trip back again.

Unfortunately in TTN 5 - that feature seems to be missing and my experience is that it does not select the rbest everse way home.

My system wanted to send me by two different motorways on a twenty mile longer journey on Wednesday

(or at least it tried to - I even tried several of the alternative options, but it would not pick up the course I wanted.)

In the end - I just left the routing off and followed the motorway signs back. There was no logical reason why it should not have selected the route I wanted - there were no restrictions and I was actually alongside the sliproad of the M40, which is the route I wanted to take.

It kept persisting with different variations of A46 and M69 though.......

Not really why I upgraded.
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Andy- I have read on here elsewhere that when planning the route select the "Limited Speed" option and then select a lower speed for route planning, not too sure how this works but others have reported beter sucess when using it. Apparantly it will still go for the main roads/ motorways etc but will avoid the back lanes? Mike

That is puzzling mike, surely selecting a "limited speed" option ought to actually keep you off the motorways?

If I wanted to take a slow moving vehicle from one destination to another - I would certainly not want to use the motorways for example.

Perhaps TT just mis-named the feature ?

Maybe it was actually intended to be a main road only feature, not a limited speed option - now THAT would be useful.

Even in the car - some of the lanes that TTN3 took me down were a little touch and go at times Wink

I don't HGV these days - but I used to - why is it that no-one has come up with a routing system that avoids low bridges as an option? (or is there one that I don't know about?)

The info on where they are is already available - there are truckers maps that show 'em (on A and B roads at least).

That would be a BIG seller in the RT industry, that was always the biggest pain when I used to route around the country in a 14' high truck.
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am off for a few days with the caravan and have revertted to TT3. Lets face it TT5 is a seriously retrograde step. TT needs a serious rethink and quickly.

Andy
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, TT V5 is a backward step, what we should have received is TT V3 + New Maps + Postcode that would have been ideal.

I'm a caravaner and miss the road speed settings, and whilst driving in France was directed along roads that do not exist, not very good when you have a van.

Based on past history, and TT's strange approach to customer support I think we can be certain these feature will not be added, they've gone for good. Lets hope that another supplier produces a TT killer product, they have become complacent, and this site seems to be support every thing they do, never a bad report, free trips to Amserdam and a sponsored car. The TT V5 review should be updated to reflect the problems and missing functionallity, so that new users are fully aware of the problems.

The sad thing is that customers expectations are growing, but theres not alternative product at the moment...
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tt will not do that as tt5 was a move to the common navigation platform the tomtom now uses

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

The sad thing is that customers expectations are growing, but theres not alternative product at the moment...

I wholeheartedly disagree. There are plenty of alternative products around, some with a featureset exceeding that of TomTom (eg Navigon) and some with completely new features (Mapopolis, Alturion).

It may not be nice for you to see TomTom go in a different direction than you personally would expect, but there are plenty of alternatives, and we keep presenting them on this site.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have a TT go with the common platform - its OK but not the same as the versatility offered by TT3 I agree TT3 + postcodes + Road exclusions would be great.

I am now actively looking for a nav program that offers me the functionality that I have lost with move from TT3 to 5.

Any suggestions????

Andy
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions - but if you find one then please let the rest of us know.

TTN5 is poor.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy theres lots of products aa navigator has some of the best routing ive seen but lack features have look at the software reveiws on the site and other gps sites altruion seams to be one peice of softwarebut from thats over looked it has some good features though ive not yet had chance to play yet but i have seen it in the flesh at the wales meet and i was impressed there navman for pocket pc too tomtom isnt the be all and end all

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: