Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Clip and cradle for Honda Civic 5-door 2001?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip and cradle for Honda Civic 5-door 2001?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afterburner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Clip and cradle for Honda Civic 5-door 2001? Reply with quote

I know this isn't a software problem but I'm not sure where I should have posted it, so forgive me if I've got it wrong.

My father wants to put a PDA cradle in his Honda Civic and believe it or not the dashboard is so oddly designed that even Brodit don't do a clip for it. He spoke to Brodit in Sweden who said that they had given up trying to make one. He's trying to avoid having to use a windscreen sucker (fugly) thing.

Has anyone successfully attached a PDA cradle to one of these cars?

If not, and you had to use a windscreen sucker assembly, does the one you use vibrate? From what I have read, this is a problem with goose-necked mounts.

The PDA is an iPAQ 3760 and he has a Brodit cradle already.

Any advice from a Honda Civic driver would be gratefully received. It's only this model of Civic, with the high-sloping rounded centre console that has the problem.

Thanks

David
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It it's the pre facelifted current Civic rather than the previous model, then it's the same as my wife's.

I ended up with a windscreen mount, which I also use in my Honda Jazz. The goose neck supplies was not really satisfactory, and I ended up with a generic iPaq car kit from PCWorld. An expensive way of doing it, I suspect as I only wanted the mount, not the cables which are also included, and I don't actually have an iPaq.

I use it for my Mio 168, and it's rock solid, provided you attach it to reasonably clean glass. In either car it's mounted close to the right hand windscreen pillar, about 1/3 of the way up.

I understand the problem - I sat in the car for some while, thinking to myself 'now where can I stick this'.
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I own a 2002 Civic which is probably the same as you are talking about. The mount I use is just a universal windshield mount from gomaid (www.gomadic.com). I cant say Ive ever noticed any excessive vibration on the mount.

They do have other type of mounts such as cigarette lighter powered ones which you just stick in the lighter socket - I guess these would have less vibration. I guess this may be the way to go in the Civic although it wouldnt be at eye level so you would need to look down to see the device.

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: