Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice needed please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Advice needed please Reply with quote

Hello people

Been doing a lot of reading on this forum, and starting to get a bit dizzy now with the knowledge you lot have Laughing

I am very tempted by a PDA based navigation system.

Reasons :

I am in independent I.T contractor, and have recently taken over managing the I.T for a school. Everything was a mess, and there's nobody to really understand computers, so I've got to now deal with various administrative departments, lots of phone numbers, addresses, passwords, information, and so on.

There is a need to carry around information, emails, documents, and don't want to have a laptop on the London Underground and go through the hassle of security checks and the subsequent wastage of time.

Which is why, I think I need to get a PDA which I can carry around conviniently in my pocket.

I have a few mates, who have these PDA based navigations systems, and am quite impressed so far.

One bought an iPAQ, got 2nd hand TomTom and GPS kit/mount from eBay, and he's sorted.

Another bought the Dell Axim, but it had some trouble (like Dell usually do !) and he had to get a replacement. But still, did the job.

Another one got a full HP rz1710 with TT setup. Very nice.

The possibility of being able to 'pick up and move' the whole setup from one car to another is ideal for me, as we have 2 cars in the family.

AND, now, the reason why I'm asking the question, is because the wife has booked a 3 day trip into Europe in 3 weeks time, via Eurostar, and then drive along into a choice of a few countries we fancy - probably France and Switzerland.

So, as you can see, I haven't got much time to go out, buy, then setup, and then test out the reliability of these PDA based systems - don't want to get lost in a foreign country !

I'm tempted by 2 choices :

1. HP iPAQ HX4700 PDA, Microsoft Windows PC 2003, Tom Tom 3, an SysOnChip CF II GPS Receiver, 256MB SD Card, all orginal software/manuals etc.

Comes with Arkon iPAQ hx4700 CM705 Powered PDA Mount.

This is a 2nd hand system, only a few months old - how much is it worth ?

2. Buy a brand new HP iPAQ HX2750 PDA. Then go out and buy TomTom Navigator 5, and a good GPS Receiver/mount.

I'm actually tempted by the HX2750 as it is smaller, lighter and with better functions than the HX4700.

Found this one on eBay : Link here

Could someone please tell me whether going for this PDA setup worth the money ? Don't want to end up with a useless bit of kit within a year or so Embarassed

Sorry for the long post, appreciate all help/advice. Thanks in advance....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the link supplied it looks as though is is not a true copy of TomTom but yet another copy - the price might seem attractive but you get no upgrade path to the later versions or support so I would steer clear of this purchase. If you want the 4700 then by all means purchase the unit via e-bay but get the software from TomTom as a true purchase as you will need to upgrade to version 5,1 for it to work reliablely on the ipaq - although with two days to go I think you will be hard pushed to get what you need in support of the upcomming trip - Mike
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised to read about that version of TomTom being just a copy. He seems to make tall claims then about it being a totally genuine product ?

I'm more inclined towards the 2750 rather than the 4700, because the 2750 is smaller and lighter (not much though). But it has fingerprint ID, which I think is a good security feature.

So, if I get one, and then get TT 5, will I get the GPS receiver and mount from TT, or can I buy that seperately from elsewhere ?

Found a company called EuroSimm selling the 2750 for a pretty good price. Anyone knows about them ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choise with the GPS and car holder is down to the buyer, the TT units will be OK but I am sure there are better units out there in terms of battery life and sensitivity, have a dig around on here for revues etc. but in reality most GPS units will do what you want, if you have a car with a-thermic glass get one with real good sensitivity, as for the mounts I personally like the amplified ones as it saves hammering the PDA's speaker, although mine is now coupled through the car audio system, so the nav sounds eminate from the stereo along with the music. As for the e-bay I just think the way it is worded gives it away, "TomTom pre-installed with a CD back-up for re-installations" does not claim to be OEM disk(s) or licence, also the PDA offered has little memory and will not prove to be upgradeable for very long, you can run TT5 on that modl but not without messing with the install - Mike
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed please Reply with quote

Greetings Sir B

Firstly, I would definately say that you a a prime candidate for the PDA route. I use my PDAs extensively for notes, addresses, appointments, etc. And recently added the GPS facility (via TT2, 2.3 5 & now 5.1)

Very happy with it!

Sir_B wrote:
Hello people
Another bought the Dell Axim, but it had some trouble (like Dell usually do !) and he had to get a replacement. But still, did the job.

Evil or Very Mad
OI - Whachya mean?.... "They usually do!" Humbug, balderdash and codswallop!

Huh!

I have a Dell laptop (now 6 years old and still going strong)
a Dell Axim 5 and an Axim 50 - both great machines...

How dare you utter such irreverances!.....

Still, if you don't have first hand experience of the superb Axim quality you might be forgiven.
Thumbs Up
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donald

Thanks for the reply.

Been 'trying to' do some reading up, as there are SO many different options, I just seem to be going round and round in circles about which GPS receiver/mount to go for.

About the Dell comments, well, I used to like them about 3 years ago, BEFORE they got all greedy and their customer services went out the window.

This school I'm referring to; they bought 25 brand new computers, 4 have had monitors replaced in 2 months, and out of 4, top of the range laptops, 1 had a dead motherboard. Out of the box !!!

Anyway, I'll stop ranting about Dell. Let's talk about better things. Laughing

I'm quite tempted by either the option 1 that I mentioned in my first post, or get an iPAQ 2750 with a 1 GB memory card, and then get the bits I want.

Only question now is : what GPS receiver and mount do I go for ?
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_B wrote:
Hi Donald

Anyway, I'll stop ranting about Dell. Let's talk about better things. Laughing

Only question now is : what GPS receiver and mount do I go for ?

Greets again Sir B

Have a look at the ARKON range of power mounts - I have two and they work well - lots of audio available - there is a range with built in GPS.

http://www.arkon.com/bluetoothgps.html

They are readily available on ebay or most of the UK GPS dealers..
cheers
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read a bit about the ARKON range, and they seem to be highly recommended, but I can't find much ARKON range available here in the UK Crying or Very sad

I've browsed on eGay, and found a few of the highly recommended GlobalSat SIRF III Bluetooth receivers.

BUT, most of them seem to be supplied from HongKong or other countries.

Here's an example

Has anyone got any experience of such units ? Will it be OK to use here in the UK ?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have a look at the Holux 236 SIRF III Bluetooth receiver, you get UK support on them and you can see the review on this website below

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=144806#144806
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven

Thanks for the link. That unit does look very good.

However, I browsed around and I can see the TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth package, which is the software and their Bluetooth receiver (which uses sIRF III), all together.

Since I'll be needing the software anyway, is that a good package to go for ?

How good is that receiver, when compared to the Holux one ?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS is good but it does not have a removable batter so after 12 months if your battery fails then you need to buy a new GPS. Thats the good thing with removable batteries.
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Steve Thumbs Up

So far, this is what I've decided to buy :

1. HP iPAQ HX2750.
2. Holux 236 sIRF III chipset Bluetooth receiver

Now, what mount do I go for ? The Arkon CM705 for iPAQ 2750 ? Or is there a better mount ?

AND, most places I've seen the TomTom Navigator 5 software, show that comes on a 256MB SD card.

Will I be able to move all the data from this onto a different card ?

Reason being that I will be buying a 1GB SD card, and want to keep all data on that, so I have 1 spare slot if required ????
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Can't seem to be able to edit my post, hence a 2nd reply by myself Exclamation

Forgot to mention, ideally, I want a vent mounting kit, as I am not too keen on a windscreen mounted kit. Although, I believe there are a few mounts with both options ?
Sir_B
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP*

Anyone ?
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir_B

If you buy a Proporta clear case for the 2750 you don't need to buy a mount.

This case comes with an optional belt clip which gets attached by a screw into the back of the case. For the car I use the screw with the case and just hang the iPaq on a vent mount.

I'll take some pics when i get the chance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: