Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is the difference between postcode searches?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the difference between postcode searches?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CobraDMX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: What is the difference between postcode searches? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've made a few searches across these forums, and read the Newbie sticky at the top of this forum but I didn't find the answer to my question. I'm sure it is a very simple one, though!

I have seen in many places that the NavMan iCN520 supports only a five-digit postcode search whereas the TomTomGO 300 supports a "full" seven-digit postcode search. What is the difference in actual terms? Is the NavMan less accurate, or can it not accept some postcodes?

I have been considering either a TomTomGO 300 or a NavMan iCN520. I think I would prefer the NavMan because it is slimmer and therefore more portable for walking, or just throwing in my rucksack.

I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me on the subject of postcodes, or point me towards a thread detailing the differences.

Regards,

CobraDMX
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5 character postcode covers quite a large area so you would normally also have to enter a street name. A 7 character postcode can pinpoint a location to within a few houses, close enough for driving to your final destination without further input, and only needing a house number to identify a specific building. I have seen it reported elsewhere that only the UK and Holland have 7 character postcodes.
CobraDMX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer,

Thank you for your reply.

In a nutshell, there is no difference in functionality but you have to spend longer programming in your destination?

CobraDMX
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CobraDMX wrote:
In a nutshell, there is no difference in functionality but you have to spend longer programming in your destination?
If you have the full street address in addition to the postcode, then the answer is yes.
CobraDMX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice, kartracer. I think I'll go for the NavMan iCN520, and maybe buy a 256MB SD card to go in it, too. Smile
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
I have seen it reported elsewhere that only the UK and Holland have 7 character postcodes.

Kartracer, doesn’t the length of code required to be specific to a few houses depend on the density of population and building ? Your definition of the use of 5 or 7 digits may be correct for the UK and for high-population-density countries like the Netherlands, but imagine a small country where there are only a very few people and very few houses. In that case even a 4 digit number would be enough to be very specific. But I suppose this question was in the context of UK postcodes, not postcodes in general.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
Your definition of the use of 5 or 7 digits may be correct for the UK and for high-population-density countries like the Netherlands, but imagine a small country where there are only a very few people and very few houses. In that case even a 4 digit number would be enough to be very specific. But I suppose this question was in the context of UK postcodes, not postcodes in general.

That's not the point. In a village I often visit in France, the same 5 digit postcode covers the whole village. The area of the village is quite large, although the housing density is low. So entering the postcode could leave you some distance from your required destination

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who lives in France, and he tells me that their 5 digit postcodes frequently cover an area much larger than a single village!
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vague recollection that ALL of Paris is a single postcode. 8O

Could be wrong so dont quote me on it.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and I live in Luxembourg (remember I said "small countries", so France isn't a good example to quote) where a four-digit code is good enough to define a very small area. If our P&T went to 7 digits, there'd be enough codes for everyone to have their own !
CobraDMX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to input a GPS coordinate (eg. "N 50° 43.943 W 003° 05.367") into the unit and have it guide you there/point you in the right direction?

Just fancied giving geocaching a shot for a laugh.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CobraDMX wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to input a GPS coordinate (eg. "N 50° 43.943 W 003° 05.367") into the unit and have it guide you there/point you in the right direction?
Yes, if you use OS GPS Convertor
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/osgps.htm
with TomTom. Don't know about the ICN.

CobraDMX wrote:
Just fancied giving geocaching a shot for a laugh.

The trouble is that the packages you have previously mentioned are intended for on road navigation, utilise a snap-to-road feature, and will only navigate you to a position on roads they know about, making them pretty useless for geocaching.
CobraDMX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame - I did fancy giving it a shot. I was thinking that it would have a fit about being away from the roads, but I hoped that it would be at least smart enough to highlight the desired area, point the way and keep quiet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: