Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - French Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

French Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: French Maps Reply with quote

Hi

I'm looking for some decent scale walking type maps of France; ie like Memory Map OS Explorer, to use on Pocket PC, but France.

Does anyone have any experience of say, Cartoexploreur, or IGN Rando, to help me make a choice.

Geoff
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try to post this question over at our friends www.gpspassion.com They are specializing in all stuff french.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz,
I did just that, and as a guide for non french speakers, I have aquired Cartoexploreur 3.1 and a few maps. IGN Rando does not yet seem to work on Pocket pc, but the Bayo product does. Its a little bit fiddly to run, not especially intuitive, and of course its all in French, so intuitive would be good!.
However I have got it to run on PC and Pocket PC using my Haicom Bluetooth setup, so if anyone needs help - please ask.

Geoff
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Also looking for French Maps Reply with quote

Geoff

I have Memory map V4 and am also looking for maps of the Jura region for France. I think i have found the maps i need via IGN, they are the Cartoexploreur 3 for district 39 (Jura Sud) (www.ign.fr/affiche_rubrique.asp?rbr_id=1312&lng_id=FR&GRA_ID=BAY25)

Anyway do you know if these maps will work with memory map 4, any details you can give me on importation/installation and callibration would be well received.

cheers

Paul
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Cartoexploreur Reply with quote

Paul,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am fairly sure that the cartoexplorer maps wont be compatible with memory map, but the cartoexploreur viewer/gps software comes on the cd with the map. It sits happily on a pocket pc alongside your other software. Just load it thru active sync in the usual way.
Geoff
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsor wrote:
Thanks Lutz,
I have aquired Cartoexploreur 3.1 and a few maps. snip However I have got it to run on PC and Pocket PC using my Haicom Bluetooth setup, so if anyone needs help - please ask.

Geoff

Funnily enough, I just asked a question about Bayo software but didn’t get an answer. Mind you, I did post it in the wrong forum (Palm & Pocket PC Street Navigation Software)... Embarassed

Did you buy the software in the UK or France? Any great problems getting it to work? (I have an HP2210 and TomTom BT GPS Rx.)

Many thanks.
Schwep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayo software is OK when it works, good maps. They are available in two scales: 1:100.000 for whole regions (for instance the whole of Auvergne), or at 1:25.000 (equivalent to the Series Bleu paper hiking maps) at two CDs per province (i.e. for just the Puy de Dôme, province 63, you need 63 Nord and 63 Sud). The problem is that they have written various versions of the Bayo CartoExploreur software and these will not always work seamlessly together - I suppose they will certainly not work with other software. The data CDs are accompanied by a software CD, that needs to find a specific 'protection system' (an executable file) on the map CD once it has been installed and starts to read or transfer maps from the map CD. My guess is that any other software will not be able to read this protection system to extract the maps. CartoExploreur comes ready with a PocketPC version, though, so you may install it separately on a PDA.
I just found that different versions of the PC software version are not always capable of reading the 'protection system' executable of a more recent or, possibly, ancient version of a map CD of the same brand. It may mean that you have, say, CartoExploreur version 3.02 installed, you buy another CD with maps of a neighbouring area, which has version 3.04 of the software on it, and your installed version will not read the maps. Worse, it will not cleanly uninstall and if you try to install the newest version, the two versions will create a quagmire of faulty Windows registry entries and leftover files, with the result that none of your old maps already on the PC will work (I had to go through the registry by hand to remove dozens of faulty entries before I could restore my old version). I just had a situation with Bayo, when I returned a new CD with version 3.04 for this reason, assuming the CD must be faulty, but they tested it as being OK, told me that it was the abovementioned software issue - and returned my CD set without the software disk, so now I have a data CD that cannot be read by any of the versions I already have (I already had four, but all with older versions of the software), and no copy of the newer software.
One thing to note, thus, is to start off with the most recent (3.04 or later) version of the software, in the hope that this may read older versions as well. Whether this is an issue with the PocketPC version as well I don't know, but the more recent data CDs use a protection file with a different name (BayoTools.exe) than the older ones (where it was called GeoTools.exe). If an older version stubbornly looks for one and not the other, it may not be able to transfer or read the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: