Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Quest V7 and the UK post code
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Quest V7 and the UK post code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixfootbratt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Garmin Quest V7 and the UK post code Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Very tired of being lost and new to the whole scene, and need some advice.

1) Is the Garmin Quest V 7 able to accept post codes from the UK as found on the link below as I heard the old ones don't have this function?
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-quest-v7/1586/specification/
It says "NOW WITH OS GRID REFERENCE SEARCH " is this it or something else? Please explain to a GPS dummy?

2) Is it really waterproof to use on my bike and do the vibrations affect it in any way as I have a bone shaker Harley?

Thanks in advance
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around that website recently, and it's inaccurate to say the least!

I don't think this isn't a new verison of the Quest, the V7 simply refers to City Select Europe V7.
The only way to search for OS Grid Ref is to switch the Location Format to OS, and moving the pointer around on the map until you get to the Grid Ref you want.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Quest V7 and the UK post code Reply with quote

Sixfootbratt wrote:
Very tired of being lost and new to the whole scene, and need some advice.

Welcome You have come to the right place, there is plenty of advice here. Some of it good. ;)

1) No. The Quest won't accept full postcodes, only partial ones. They are only really useful to determine if you have looked up "High Street, BR1" or "High Street, SE1" but you can't enter a post code like SW1A 1AA and have it take you to the associated address.

2) It should be fine on the tractor, oops, I mean bike. ;) The Quest is water proof and fairly robust. The buttons can be a bit fiddly with winter gloves on but summer ones are fine.

I can recommend RAM mounts http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ which are more secure and cheaper than the Garmin Quest bike mount although they don't have power and earphone connectors.

I don't bother powering the Quest from the bike. The battery lasts about 12-18 hours so unless you are doing some seriously long rides you don't really need to worry that much. I don't use the voice directions on the bike either (sound requires the external speaker which comes with the cigarette lighter plug you use in the car). The screen lights up when you are approaching a turn and that gets my attention.

Good luck! Thumbs Up
Sixfootbratt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank's for the advice. Are there any other portable GPS systems that are waterproof, will acept the full post code and that don't cost the earth?

Jonathan
intertoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

Try TomTom Rider, bit more expensive than the Garmin Quest but is one hell of a unit. Full UK Postcode search, fully waterproof, bluetooth headset, the works!!!

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/p3351

Jonathan Bowes
Product Manager
www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

YooNoo Ltd
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of options:

Garmin Quest or StreetPilot 2610 (both are waterproof and OK for the bike)
Tom Tom Rider (as mentioned by intertoto). It has bluetooth but I don't think it is on sale just yet?
A PDA in an "Otterbox" or something similar to keep it waterproof

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: