Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 vs TTN3 - my experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 vs TTN3 - my experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Forgot to say -PDA is same as yours HP4700

Robbie
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh - unfortunately my GPS is CF - so that slot is already taken Sad
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I have a Rikaline 6021 X6 CF gps receiver which worked perfectly well with TTN3, since upgrading to TTN5 I have experienced almost all of the same problems as you. Reading these message boards on a regular basis has convinced me that it’s down to the CF GPS receiver and the only way to get it to work is to swap to the BT338 receiver.

Art Me Me Me
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artisan - but why when it worked perfectly before - should we have to change hardware to get a working system? I invested in a system which worked and now for an upgrade much of it - whilst it is still fine with other software - does not work with TomTom's latest offering
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Artisa
Yes, I’m sure that the troubles can be overcome by changing the GPS receiver. As I stated earlier, I have the BT338 and TT5 runs perfectly, smoothly, no lagging and has never jumped about. However, that’s no help for other people who already have a decent receiver that previously worked ok with TT3. It’s a poor do if one has to buy a new GPS receiver just to run an upgraded program.
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
Artisan - but why when it worked perfectly before - should we have to change hardware to get a working system? I invested in a system which worked and now for an upgrade much of it - whilst it is still fine with other software - does not work with TomTom's latest offering

David, I agree entirely, TomTom have screwed up big time with this upgrade. I bought my set up just over a year ago and at the time the SiRf Star II chipset in the X6 was regarded as more than adequate for tom tom. I’ve complained to Tom Tom, but as the X6 is being phased out the chances of them doing a patch are zero. So there’s no real choice I either suffer the glitches or change the receiver when funds allow.

Art Me Me Me
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest from TomTom - after telling me that there are no reported errors with my setup and that running it on the hx4705 is a stable platform

Quote:
If you wish we are willing to pickup your Pocket PC and GPS receiver at no cost to you and test them both for a couple of days and see if we can duplicate some type of fault. You would of course need to give us permission to completely hard reset the device and format the memory card and let us install from the beginning and see if we can get this to work.

Unfortunately I disagree with them - and wonder as to their last line of "see if we can get this to work" - I want to buy release-ready software - not beta software
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I'm surprised TomTom have offered to collect the PDA and test it, are you going to let them?
It would be interesting to see if they can cure the problems, particularly if they use your CF receiver.

Good luck

Art
Me Me Me
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artisan - I am tempted - but I want to know what their response will be if they cannot get it to work in a consistent fashion - and they won't answer me that
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I guess they wouldn’t commit themselves until they’ve had a look, but you’ve done extremely well to get this far Clap and I’d be very tempted to let them have a look. But then again, if they’re as sloppy with your PDA as they’ve been with the software chances are you won’t see it again! Rolling Eyes
If they do find the problem PM me.

Art
Me Me Me
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Holux CF 270 and was wondering if I have to use the drivers that came with the 270 to get it to work or does the TT5 use it's own?
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artisan - how right you are - this is a without condition offer - no guarantees at the end of it Sad
DareDevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: TomTom 3 vs. TomTom 5 Reply with quote

I have used TomTom 3 for a long time on an iPAQ and then switched to TomTom 5 on a Dell Axim X3. The GPS is the same (Fortuna, USB).

TomTom3 was extremely stable. TomTom5 has more features and some old features removed, but it is simply not reliable.

I do not know who is responsible for Quality Assurance at Tom Tom, but whoever he is, should seriously consider a career change.

DareDevil
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

I belive the drivers are on TTN5 but it's best to download the patch to 5.1 have a look on the Holux Forum Arrow http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=34

Art
Me Me Me
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot for the life of me believe that TTN5 has been correctly tested. I’m also disappointed with Pocket GPS for not testing it properly or having the balls to say how bad it performs with other receivers. I’ve had a look at the original review by Dave Burrows and it was given a rating of 97.5%! If they’d have highlighted the bugs in their review a) I would not have bothered upgrading straight away, and b) TomTom would have had to sort the bugs or lost sales.

Art
Me Me Me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: