Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I load free camera detector software on NavmanPIN 570
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I load free camera detector software on NavmanPIN 570

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMyall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: How do I load free camera detector software on NavmanPIN 570 Reply with quote

I've just purchased a Navman PIN 570. I am a complete novice to this technology and whilst I think that I can just about function this device, I also want to make use of the free camera detector software available from this site. Does anyone out there know what I should actually download, and how I should go about installing it.

Thanks in advance of any answers

Nick
antispam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick

Just like you ive just got the PIN 570, and just like you i asked the same question regarding POI's.

Click the link below and your problems will be solved

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=138147#138147

Take your time, and read the manual which came with your PIN 570, Read thru the ACTIVE POI Section.

If you need to ask anything else ill try and help you out, just PM me, but im not online every single day, especially friday and saturday beer nights :-)

All the best

Paul
NMyall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tips and link which you provided me with - very useful, I'll try to do the necessary over the weekend (kids allowing!). How do you find both the 570 sat nav and camera detector software? :D

Regards Nick
antispam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick

You know the SmartST 2005 CD that you would have got with your 570..... run the CD on your PC and install the desktop version......

You do not need any other 3rd party software to run POI's (Speed Cam Databases) they are built in to the SmartST software.

Paul
NMyall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this information Paul, now that I've finally managed to get the time to fully read the SmartST documentation I see what you mean. It looks as though I can directly load any POIs down, including (hurrah!) speed camera stuff - very useful seeing that I'm currently on 9 points.

How are you finding your 570?

Cheers Nick
antispam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting question......Ummm how am i finding my 570.......

Well i used TomTom 3 then used TomTom 5, Then my Ipaq died so i needed a new Device for the next morning and the only one i could buy at 7:45pm was the PIN 570.

At first i hated The NAV Software (SmartST 2005) I thought it was a total pile of , I just hated everything about it I hated that the map view seemed to be like from way to far away and i found myself squinting while driving, but then i found that if i turned the auto zoom off it actually stayed set to the zoom that i wanted it to rather than reverting to a crap tiny view if you know what i mean.

After using it for a while i find it is LOADS better than TomTom 3 but in my opinion comparing it with TomTom 5 is a bit different.

I like TomTom 5 for the many options over SmartST 2005.

I prefer the address input on TT5, I prefer the colour settings on TT5

I like how you can change POI sounds on TT5 but on Smart ST you cant (unless you change the ONLY soundfile to another keeping the original filename)

Sometimes My 570 seems to take bloody ages to get a satellite fix.

I also thing the 570 is a bit bulky although this is better for me as it is loads more robust than my old Ipaq.

To sum up SmartST 2005 I would say I like it after time, its like anything new i guess it just takes time to get used to.

Oh and by the way, I took apart my Ipaq and got it working again and now a geezer at work has offered me £220 for it... what a great price, which means i only paid £60 to upgrade from a crappy Ipaq 1710 which was and still is CRAP to a better 570 so all in all im a happy bunny :-)

Paul
NMyall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul (happy bunny),

I'm still having trouble with loading on the speed camera detector software. I've downloaded the database and have followed all the instructions on how to get this on to the Navman and working. I can get into the POI editor on my PC, see the file, download to device, choose options, give a name, then transfer the POI on to the PDA. This goes through without reporting any problems. I can then see (after hunting) that the original file is actually on the Navman, and is split into about 4 different files. When I go into SmartST software I can't see the POI anywhere, not in POIs, myPOIs, nor maps. I wonder where the actual files should be located on the PDA, is there a correct destination which I need to put the files into? HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Nick
antispam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Nick...........

Ummm the files transfer to a default destination to your 570, i think they actually go into the ROM storage.
ok im sat looking at my 570 now so i get this right....

click the POI tab in the setup menu, make sure the box zt the top is checked " Show Icons on map "

then unckeck all unwated POI's in the list below that, but right at the bottom of the list make sure the " MY POI " Box is checked.

then scroll across the options at the bottom till you get to the " ACTIVE POI'S"

at the top there should be a pull down listing your POI's make sure you have the ACTIVE Box checked. then under that set up your POI Warning for sound and visual and distance etc.

you need to set this up for each individual POI from the pull down list.

If you still have trouble either you cocked up transferring the files from the smartST on your desktop PC OR......... did you make sure you edited the START of the POI in note pad ?

If your not sure what i mean about editing the POI files then click the link below which will remind you.

ATB

Paul

PS. Let me know how you get on

PPS :-) sorry im not the fastest to reply to your posts but like i say i hardly ever get the time to come online nowadays even though ive just had a FREE upgrade to 2.2mb DSL :-0
NMyall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

Thanks for all you time and help. I've finally managed to transfer the camera detector software.

Your last notes were extremely useful. Basically when I was in set-up, POI, I could see existing POI's but not one labelled My POIs. Because this option wasn't there and ticked I couldn't see the relevant POI in the Active POI tab.---OK that was the reason now the cause (as I see it).

When I originally chose the camera database from the zip download (file name: pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv), the file did'nt resemble the one in the example instructions. I amended this in both Excel and then Notepad (I had to put the latitude and longitude columns at the front, rather than where they appeared (at the back). I also inserted " (double quotes) around the camera names, finally I saved this file. Then I followed all the necessary instructions from previous links, and successfully created and transferred the POI from my PC to the Navman. What I didn't notice was that there was a spurious checksum number at the start of the file, which today I removed, saved, transferred the POI once again - and hey presto, I can now see the My POI tab in the setup, POI list and also in the Active POI tab. Believe it or not I also see the relevant icons on the map view as well!!

It's taken me a good few days to get to this point---I hope I remember this for future use.

Once again thanks for your help. Happy safe direct point-free driving!

Cheers Nick
antispam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help nick, although you totally lost me with the checksum business :-)

Best thing to do for future reference is just copy the text and paste it into word or something like that.

Then if every anything goes pete tong and you cant remember at least you have a reference point.

Anyways glad you got it all sorted.

All the best

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: