Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Turn right? I *can't* turn right goddamn it!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn right? I *can't* turn right goddamn it!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mothra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Turn right? I *can't* turn right goddamn it!! Reply with quote

Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem when using TomTom mobile 5 in city centres? I work in Leeds and, although the map for Leeds has the one-way streets just about right, this is of no use when the traffic light junctions are way out of date.

Just this morning, I was sent round three sides of a square when going straight on and turning right would have been possible, asked to turn right where this would be illegal and perform an unnecessary U-Turn where this would also have been illegal.

The worst came when I was asked to turn right where this would have taken me the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Because I know the roads, I turned left, but the route was re-planned to take me back round to the same spot where it was going to ask me to turn right again!

In every instance, these are features of the traffic system in Leeds that have been in place as long as I have lived here (8 years). Fortunately, as I know the roads, I don't have to rely on the instructions (I use it with the traffic system, just in case), but I pity anyone visiting this city if they think they can rely oin TomTom.

Is anyone else having this problem in Leeds or any other UK city?

How old are the TomTom maps for the UK exactly? How often is the data collected and updated. There don't seem to be any updates available for TomTom mobile 5 - does this mean that we have what they consider to be the latest maps? I hope not.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup same around Newcastle. Numerous places where I'm told to turn right where turning right is banned. Most of them having been the same for my lifetime, so it's not an update issue.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly in Swansea - TT5 tells me to make an illegal right turn. TT3 was correct at the same point
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
dave_bass5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same in london.
i would add though that if you dont know the area it can be useful to get you to the destination. if you do know the area ignor TT.

Dave.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Leeds aswell and have had one similar instance - near to Leeds Met / Millenium Sq
The problem is that people such as Tele Atalas focus mainly on unmapped areas rather than areas that they have already covered so that when a junction / right-of-way changes the mapping firms will be on some newly built road somewhere. Also, considereing how often City Centre traffic ystems change, there will inevitably be a 'waiting list' for adjustments to be made.
zanda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had this problem as yet in London.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: