Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Great service for car kits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Great service for car kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Great service for car kits Reply with quote

I have recently had a Parrot 3300 car kit fitted for my Ipaq 6340. This kit combines a full voice activated car kit with a sat nav receiver (both bluetooth). I now have phone and sat nav (both on the Ipaq) working through the audio system with full mute and volume adjusted through my steering wheel controls. The phone takes priority when it rings, but the sat nav continues in the background. A great piece of kit even though it is french! Smile

It was supplied and fitted by a small company called justcarkits.com who did a geat job - friendly professional and neat. They fit lots of Parrot kits and know what they are doing - they even upgraded to the latest firmware for me (essential to avoid some early teething problems with the Parrot).

I had some problems with the installation but justcarkits came out without hesitation or complaint and sorted them out. They even made one or two changes to the layout at my request at the same time and refused payment for them! Any company can look good when everything goes right but the sign of a good one is how they deal with matters when they don't go right. My experiences suggest that justcarkits won't let you down.

So it a big thumbs up to them and Parrot. Thumbs Up
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3100, the only problems I have had are, when switching off the ignition it completely cuts power to stereo and parrot meaning I have to retune radio stations or alter settings on both stereo and parrot. And the default volume for the spoken menu's was unbearably loud which has been fixed with the latest software update.

The power problem could have been how I fitted it to be honest. But my mate will have a look for me.

Great kit though, hope my new ipaq 6515 works on it when it arrives.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
I have the 3100, the only problems I have had are, when switching off the ignition it completely cuts power to stereo and parrot meaning I have to retune radio stations or alter settings on both stereo and parrot. And the default volume for the spoken menu's was unbearably loud which has been fixed with the latest software update.

The power problem could have been how I fitted it to be honest. But my mate will have a look for me.

Great kit though, hope my new ipaq 6515 works on it when it arrives.

I definately think that is the way that you have wired it. It sounds like you may have reversed the permanent live with the switched (ignition) live. It is easy to do if using a standard ISO lead on some cars. VAG cars for example have them reversed from the so called standard ISO layout.

Both the stereo and the Parrot need a permanent live as well as a switched (on ignition) live. Mine both switch off when I switch off the ignition (or more precisely remove the key from the ignition) but the permanent lives ensure they maintain all their settings (I am not sure but I think the Parrot will do that even if totally disconnected?)

It was exactly for this reason that I decided to pay justcarkits a bit more to fit the thing for me
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I did was plug the iso's in and hey presto, not sure what I need to reverse but if you could give me an idea it would be most helpful.

Ta
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
All I did was plug the iso's in and hey presto, not sure what I need to reverse but if you could give me an idea it would be most helpful.

Ta

Not sure I can offer too much practical help as I got the fitter to do it. You will need a diagram for the pins on the back of your audio (from internet search?) that will give permanent and switched lives and a multimeter to test which is actually going where. One should be permanent 12v with or without ignition on. The other should be 12v only when ignition comes on. See if they are in the correct pins on the back of the stereo.

What is your car? If it is VW, audi skoda or seat then they are reversed from standard ISO position so will need reversing (either pull out connectors from block or cut and rewire the two). Alternatively most places sell a reverse ISO connector for VAG cars.

However if you are not sure probably best to get somebody who knows to look at it cos it could jusy make it worse.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Vauxhall Zafira. The odd thing is the stereo worked fine before I added the car kit.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember of my limited knowledge for car radios, the orange wire was the permanent live and the yellow was the ignition live. Easy way to test is to get a torch bulb and a lentgth of wire. Place the base of the bulb on an earthed surface, hold the wire to the metal support around the bulb base and place the other end of the wire to the connector block. If it lights up it is live.

Regards

Mark
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
From what I remember of my limited knowledge for car radios, the orange wire was the permanent live and the yellow was the ignition live. Easy way to test is to get a torch bulb and a lentgth of wire. Place the base of the bulb on an earthed surface, hold the wire to the metal support around the bulb base and place the other end of the wire to the connector block. If it lights up it is live.

Regards

Mark

I can check with my multi-meter, the thing that puzzles me that is if the stereo when I fitted had no problems and since the car kit was installed it must be something to do with the wiring on the car kit i need to change?
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a wiring incompatibility between car wiring loom and hands free wiring. I place a Panasonic stereo in my Astra with an ISO plug. The radio lost it's memory when the ignition was switched off, even though all the wires corresponded from loom to loom. I had to find the ignition wire and permanent live and switch them. Bl**dy Vauxhall!!!

Mark
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right, must be a vauxhall thing! Can't find the instructions as to which wires to swap:(
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
your right, must be a vauxhall thing! Can't find the instructions as to which wires to swap:(

The wiring loom with the Parrot is for ISO standard. Some makers don't follow that and it sounds like Vauuxhall, like VAG, don't. So when you plugged in the ISO kit it swopped around the permanent and ignition lives.

Use a multimeter on them. One will be permanently on 12v and the other will only come on when the ignition is on. Try swapping and se what happens. The radio loosing memory is normally a sign that you have them swopped. the other one is when the radio asks for the code every time you switch on the ignition.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:

The wiring loom with the Parrot is for ISO standard. Some makers don't follow that and it sounds like Vauuxhall, like VAG, don't. So when you plugged in the ISO kit it swopped around the permanent and ignition lives.

Use a multimeter on them. One will be permanently on 12v and the other will only come on when the ignition is on. Try swapping and se what happens. The radio loosing memory is normally a sign that you have them swopped. the other one is when the radio asks for the code every time you switch on the ignition.

While I am in agreement with you I just don't understand how this has happened, the iso loom was the same one used before I got the parrot but wasn't really needed as the vauxhall kit fits right in, no problem, I just needed the slack to ease the radio into the slot so left it in. When I put the parrot in I kept it in as per instructions. So before the parrot kit was installed the radio kept its memory, ie the 12v perm/ignit was the right way round. Since the parrot went in it went mad ie something new OR the configuration of where the loom sits into the circuitry has reversed the 12v perm and ignit. Will have a look tomorrow and try swapping them, I doubt it can do any harm.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: