Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my i3..but cant decide where to put it..on the windscreen or use the 'sticky pad' to put it on the dash...where's yours been put?
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: i3 Reply with quote

Had mine a week now - I like the camera warning even if it does get a bit intrusive with all that 'bonging' when the camera is on the opposite carriageway.

I have had three 'lock ups', and today two 'switch offs'.

I have also found that 2300mAh batteries only last 3 hours before the i3 reports a low battery (note: power switch off was on the brand new alkaline ones).

That said - I am happy with it, it is small and easy to use AND very good value.

Just hope that Garmin sort out the locking up etc (which they seem to be working on) as the temptation is to do it on the move.
overide
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: i3 Lockups Reply with quote

Can everyone who is having problems with this unit, especially lockups to register your problem at http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

Hopefully, Garmin will then realise how big a problem it is.

Thanks
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 Lockups Reply with quote

overide wrote:
Can everyone who is having problems with this unit, especially lockups to register your problem at http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

Hopefully, Garmin will then realise how big a problem it is.

Thanks

Here's the latest news from Garmin on this subject (lock ups)
Quote:
Hello Richard,

Thank you for the information.

Our engineers have implemented a software update and are just finishing it off. It will be released shortly.

Thank you.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards,
Customer Support
Sales Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
overide
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
swampmonster wrote:
On the 170 mile trip it also sent me on some very minor roads and although we got there in the end it was pretty hairy, single track roads etc. My normal route of sticking to major roads although longer in distance was definately much safer and quicker.

Yes, they can give you some interesting routes at times. ;)

Do you have the routing options set to Quickest or Shortest? Quickest is probably the best one to use.

Thanks for the reply - It was set to Quickest though!!
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 Reply with quote

blackrat62 wrote:
Had mine a week now - I like the camera warning even if it does get a bit intrusive with all that 'bonging' when the camera is on the opposite carriageway.

I have had three 'lock ups', and today two 'switch offs'.

I'd love to hear the bonging noise!! How do you set it up so you get the audible warning as I only seem to get bonging on approaching changes in direction.

I've had two more lock ups today within five minutes of setting out while running off the cigar lighter with alkeline batteries in the i3, however I took the alkeline batteries out ran it just off the cigar lighter and didn't get any more lock ups. Don't ask me why though!!
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Audible warning of speed cameras Reply with quote

I just downloaded the files as discussed on this forum - it did the rest for me automatically.
garyrk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: More on I3's Reply with quote

Have had a unit since last week and been in discussion with Maplin, Garmin UK & Garmin US over maps & hangups.

Hangups happen far too often requiring disconnection of external power and batteries. Managed to get hard reset key sequence from Garmin. Works, keeps downloaded POI but seems to delete other user prefences.

Basically great unit compared to opposition. Have loaded loads of POI (such as speed camera's, Congestion Charge, local motor deals and our business sites) by following instructions on this site and using link to Garmin's POI loader and POIEDIT. Bitmaps work and seem fine.

Have installed external arieal as I have a solar reflecting windscreen. waiting to see if improves reliability

Have obtained compatiable addtional power cable (Blackberry 6510/7100) via mailorder

Also obtained 256mb transflash and SD reader and intend to play around with card to backup etc.

Recieved interesting response from Garmin UK - Maplins product packing was put together to keep cost down by not including other map or CD. Said I would have to wait for the release of other transflash cards to get other EU countries.

Posed a similar question to Garmin US and got a better response to hanging and map availability/compatibility - please see:
Quote:

Hello Gary,

There is to be shortly a software update to eradicate the freezing up problem.

You could also try a master reset this may help the voice problem.

Warning! You will lose any user data saved locations etc.

Switch unit off.

Then press and hold the left hand button as well as the wheel button then also press and hold the power button until a message appears on the display asking you if you wish to erase user data? You would select "yes" to this.

The unit has now completed the reset. Now try the unit and see if this resolves the problem.

If not the software update to be released shortly will hopefully resolve the issue.

There will be additonal regions for Europe to purchase. These will be available soon but there is no confirmed shipping date. To be honest 2 weeks time is unlikely for you.

You could purchase city select Europe via an automotive kit say for our GPS MAP 60c. This will have City Select Europe maps on CD ROM which will enable you to use on your unit. YOu will need to also purchase a blank mirco SD card from a computer/camera shop. The Automotive kit RRP at 186.48.

The pre programmed cards will RRP at £76.66 ex VAT each.

The regions will be split down to 8 regions with France and Benelux being one of them.

Thank you.

Hope this helps and shows that Support are working the issues.

Look forward to other feedback
upthegardenpath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading with great interest at the moment (have just ordered mine from maplins.)

Has anyone managed to back up the transflash card onto a clean one and get it to work? Surely if they will be selling the European cards at 70quid +VAT they will be copy protected to prevent illegal copies?
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re Voice problem Reply with quote

I posted a question at Garmin support re the problem I was having with voice commands and the hanging problem. Customer Support at Garmin Support seems a really good guy and responds quickly. The master reset on it's own didn't solve the problem and I wrote again and he suggested doing the master reset again but when it asks you for a language choose
a non english option. Then once that has been installed you will need to
then change the voice back to English. It might be worth noting that I waited whilst the language files loaded and didn't press the wheel as instructed, after about five minutes it went the next option on it's own. This worked brilliantly and I now have a unit that seems to work. Today is the first day without hanging as well!! Smile
He also said "The software update will be released by the end of the week.
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipee, finally found people who seem to know more than the experts!
I too have been having lock-up/freezing problems with my i3 and have been told to do a system reset also by Garmin (hasn't worked so far). Also been advised to purchase an antenna which I am awaiting from ebay.
Haven't had a chance to read all these posts yet, but does anyone have any straight forward instructions for downloading extra data, like speed cameras etc?
If anyone has any questions about my experiences so far please let me know. I will try and contribute to this forum as much as possible just as others have done.

Will be watching with interest!
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know can you purchase the US maps for use on the European i3? I'm guessing you can......

Many thanks for any adivce.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert_uk..i think you can load any mapping software onto a spare transflash card and then put into the i3...
garyrk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK,

see my post a short while, I also asked - the answer was the same as buying City Select for Europe - just need to shell out money for CD & Transflash cards.

Friendly_bloke

I have managed to get the speed camera database working ok, along with a few other POI files and set up my own work related sites. Let me have a email contact and I'll help if I can

Works great (when it doesn't hang and give spurious spoken distances that do not match the correct visual distances!!!!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 4 of 39

Jump to: