Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would need to buy mapsource for the US, and a transflash card, but you would have to check with Garmin, as they may not be allowing updates from CD/DVD on these units sold in Europe.
Also, note that to update the mapping, you apparently have to buy the mapsource product, as you cannot update tha UK/Ireland mapping on the supplied card (again, you would have to double and tripe check this with Garmin as different people are getting different answers)...

I now hear that Garmin are telling two different stories - one that you can back up the original card, the other that you can't. I would not risk it, as they'll probably charge £100 for mapsource to get it back on if you screw it up.

Apparently in Europe, they will only be selling transflash cards for the 8 different regions, and Gramin told me to buy a c320 if I wanted European mapping on disc... very helpful...
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked on the garmin site and the usa version i3 specs say that you can load maps from the supplied dvd onto the 128mb transflash card.so i assume that any garmin mapping software can be loaded onto a spare transflash card and then used in the i3.....(uk transflash cards are apparently 256mb according to maplins)..
coinshooters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: crashing Reply with quote

wondered if you were running on batteries when it crashed, apparently requires at least 2300 Mnh, for 6hrs use according to the instructions,
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

When I queried Maplin as to why you couldn't use the i3 to navigate to a Eurpoean destination using major roads they said,

"Unfortunately there has been an oversight by the suppliers when they have shipped the goods to us. The correct mapping software has not been included.

We are currently awaiting the CD to arrive in the very near future and will ship a copy to all I3 purchasers who are missing the item as soon as possible."

Garmin said they didn't think you could back up the Transflash card but if I get a CD who cares.

Mine has crashed once.
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: i3 - European Mapping Reply with quote

This is odd - I spoke at some length with Maplin and then Garmin at their behest (because Maplin weren't sure what the position is).

Garmin tell me that the base map is on the i3 BUT you cannot route plan on it - they say that it just shows you where you are on the major roads when you are actually in that European country - the full mapping is UK/Ireland only.

This doesn't seem right as it lists some addresses when you search France (for example) but does not Paris or Tolouse if you try and find a city - it seems to be a partial map.

They did tell me that the detailed maps will be available in a couple of months on a transflash card. They said that it would be about £70 per country!! Apparently you cannot upload the maps to your existing transflash card.

Don't know if you will be able to copy a transflash card with a map on as a 'backup'?

Mine has locked once in the 3 times I have used it - I was travelling under a moderate tree canopy and executing a turn at the time. The safety camera download works great though.

It seems that the story varies depending on who you speak to at Garmin - anyone from Garmin read this and able to give a 'formal' answer?
markyboy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: garmin i3 Reply with quote

interested to read this thread regarding the new Garmin i3, it seems unusual that this product appears to be under sole distribution of Maplin. I wondered whether anyone new if this was a permanent arrangement.

Early indications on this thread appear mixed about its performance, the crashing seems a worrying trend! Does anyone know whether additional points of interest can be added? I realise the useful speed camera database can and has been but was wondering about the magnitude of others such as comes standard with the Tom TOm Go.

One final point for those who have already experienced the unit, is it large enough? The size specification would seem to indicate that it may be difficult to see on such a small screen?
Mark
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: garmin i3 Reply with quote

I got mine a couple of days ago.

I uploaded the camera POIs, and I have also uploaded other from TOMTOM site - Tescos, B&Q, Petrol Stations, Underground etc. If you use the TomTom ones, you need to use their little bit of software to convert from the TomTom file type. I found the easiest way is to convert to the ASC file that it does by default, then go into Excel and do DATA / TEXT TO COLUMNS and choose DELIMITED by commas. This will convert to 3 columns and uploads fine when you save as a csv file. Delete all the header gumff at the top before you upload.

You can also upload the accompanying bitmap (same file name).

You need to have all POI files in the one directory and upload them all at the same time, otherwise the latest one you upload overwrites all the others.

A 'problem' I found is that you cannot display the POI bitmaps on the navigation screen. If you select it in the "go to" screen and view map, they are all there, but you will not see it on the navigation screen. According to Garmin "because the consensus is that the POI's clog up the screen". To me, that is rubbish - I'd rather see the little petrol icon or whatever so I know its there. Whats the point of a POI if you cant see it...

The exception to this is speed camera. It seems that if you are going below the set speed, you dont see them. But if you are above it, the icon of the camera appears - which is quite good, I think, but I would rather see it all the time...

Mine crashed once so far - but I was fiddling with it at the time...
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: garmin i3 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried hardwiring into the car, rather than through the cigarette socket?

I'm not sure how easy it is - the plug looks like it is transforming from 12V to 5V, so you probably cant just go straight into a live wire in the car??
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: garmin i3 Reply with quote

markyboy1 wrote:
interested to read this thread regarding the new Garmin i3, it seems unusual that this product appears to be under sole distribution of Maplin. I wondered whether anyone new if this was a permanent arrangement.

As far as I'm aware Maplin will be the only retailer selling these for the first month or so.
attic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS Reply with quote

Here is a response from GARMIN helpdesk re the hanging and the DVD mapping:

Quote:
I assume you have purchased this from Maplins. They have incorrectly stated that a DVD comes with this unit. However it does not. Maplins have been made aware of there error. Your UK and Ireland map comes pre loaded on the micro SD card supplied with the unit. In the near future you will be able to purchase pre programmed cards for Europe. Europe will be separated into 8 regions. We hope for these to be available shortly.

Uk & Ireland

The Nordics: Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denamrk

Benelux, including part of France( Paris included) and part of the German border territories

France and Corsica

Italy including Corsica and some border territories

Switzerland and Austria, also including some South German, North Italians and South-East French territories

Germany and Czech Republic

Spain and Portugal including Andorra and some territories in the Canary Islands

With regards to the unit crashing, I have heard some instances of this. I have been testing the i3 in my own car all week and I have not had a single proble, however one of my colleagues did report his unit freezing or "hanging up".

This has been reported to our engineers in the states who will hopefully work on a software update. I have no time scale on this however software updates are normally done quite quickly. Our website will have this available for download as soon as it is released.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
EggZenBeanz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing up the transflash cards:

This can be done via a sd card reader and a sd card/ transflash adapter. Use the adapter to view the cards contents through my computer.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EggZenBeanz...have you backed up the city select on the transflash? if so can you load different maps onto a virgin transflash card and then use it on the i3....
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Backing up transflash card Reply with quote

I managed to back up the i3 transflash card onto harddrive, I checked the properties of card noted the name and found it was formatted with FAT32 so I then formatted a spare 256mb card, named it same as original then copied contents onto spare card then fitted spare card into i3 but it's not having it Sad just tells me to load maps using software provided.

p.s ordered the new card with adapter yesterday received it this morning total cost £19.80 from PicStop
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my i3 last week (Fist Sat Nav I've ever bought or used) and I used it to do a 170 mile trip. It hung three times near the end of the journey. This hanging was on very minor roads and appeared to happen close to junctions or turns. It was running off the cigar lighter adapter, so in response to the previous poster - it's not a power problem.
I have uploaded the Camera positions which appear pretty accurate but not totally so. I don't appear to be able to receive any audible warning on approaching them. Anybody else have this problem or know a work around??
On the 170 mile trip it also sent me on some very minor roads and although we got there in the end it was pretty hairy, single track roads etc. My normal route of sticking to major roads although longer in distance was definately much safer and quicker.
One other point is the voice doesn't seem to make much sense - here are some typical voice guides:
Having turned left from minor road to major road - "Drive"
On the road in which the destination is "Drive Destination"
.5 mile from roundabout " Drive Enter"
Close to roundabout "Enter 3rd Exit"
It appears to me that it can't say the word "roundabout" or "to".
I would be interested to know if anybody else has these problems.
Software version is 2.30 by the way.
For the poster who was concerned about the size, don't be. Although it's small the screen is very clear and with the option to either dash mount or windscreen mount you can easily find a suitable position for it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampmonster wrote:
On the 170 mile trip it also sent me on some very minor roads and although we got there in the end it was pretty hairy, single track roads etc. My normal route of sticking to major roads although longer in distance was definately much safer and quicker.

Yes, they can give you some interesting routes at times. ;)

Do you have the routing options set to Quickest or Shortest? Quickest is probably the best one to use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 3 of 39

Jump to: