Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, all the information that I had prior to the release suggested that it would come with the full City Select software - it now seems they've gone down the same route as the C310.
It explains why the price came down from the original £280.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so..i gather that all the mapping (city select) is on the transflash card, now if you could download this to your pc would you be able to upload to another gps ..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:

It explains why the price came down from the original £280.

it's just a special offer at £200. by the end of the month it'll be back to 300
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

For details of the mapping on the supplied Transflash card see the coverage map at http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-streetpilot-i3-sat-nav/7650/

It seems to be correct. Apparently there's detailed street mapping for most of Europe and base level for the rest.

Detailed coverage of Northern Ireland and Eire is very patchy and notably there's very little or no detailed coverage of Spain, Portugal, Norway and Finland but in the Tomtom Go range you must pay £470 for base level coverage of Europe and £550 for detailed European coverage so I reckon the i3 stands up extraordinarily well for the price.

You can get a Transflash card reader from Hong Kong on Ebay for 99p + £5.95 P&P. I would hope that I can then make a copy of the card for backup purposes. We shall see.

I asked Garmin how to delete custom POI's. They say you can't delete them individually but every time you upload a new csv file it deletes all the existing ones. I'm a beginner and did not know that.

I agree with the positive reviews on this forum. I used the i3 straight away out of the box and found it excellent.

I don't understand why Maplins reduced the price so drastically or why they are selling it for less than the monochrome i2. Anyway I reckon it is the bargain of the year.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent post richardcr..one question you might be able to answer, can you load say a usa map onto the i3 whilst keeping the factory city select software?
Chuffediam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: European maps due later Reply with quote

Hi, although I don't have an i3 yet, I was very interested in the price quoted by Maplin. javascript:emoticon(Crying)
Smile I emailed their techies and had the following reply regarding maps for Europe and the price.
"The Unit is available from Maplin now (with UK and Irelend maps Western Europe are to made available by Garmin later in the year) the offer is open until at least October the 8th"

Disappointing news about the European maps as I'm driving to France at the end of this month and had hoped to buy one. Still, as others say, the price is a steal...
Chuffediam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry about the emoticon, although I could be weeping with joy at the low price...yes, that's it. Definitely tears of joy!!
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

Seems I was wrong about European mapping in my previous posting.

I checked a few towns in Ireland and France on my i3 on which I based my opinion but I now see that the supplied Transflash card only covers the northern coastal area of France and not further south.

Chuffediam obviously has the answer. Presumably this will be a free upgrade as Maplins advertised the unit as having a full European basemap.

As regards Zogman's question, I guess that if you buy the USA map from Garmin and insert the card with it on, the unit will work there. If you check the faourites you'll see that Garmin's offices are listed - show the map for the US office and you'll see the whole of the US is blacked out.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

RichardCr wrote:
Maplins advertised the unit as having a full European basemap.

The basemap is a rough map of major roads and coastlines, accurate to within about 300 meters. It doesn't have the detailed streetmaps that you get with City Select.

Ireland coverage is "N" and "R" roads and street level in most cities, but minor roads are still not mapped. TeleAtlas maps are no better.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin StreetPilot i3 Reply with quote

RichardCr wrote:

I don't understand why Maplins reduced the price so drastically or why they are selling it for less than the monochrome i2. Anyway I reckon it is the bargain of the year.

The i2 won't be available for a while yet, when it is available the i3 price will most likely have risen again. The lower price is coz we struck a deal with Garmin.

I still haven't got my hands on one yet, but the company got another large batch in today.
coinshooters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: i3 camera PoIs Reply with quote

if you want to add cameras to your i3 check this out , works really well
timk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Not such a bargain Reply with quote

Well I have had mine for a week now. First off it says on the box that it contains a CD and it doesn't. Maplin now have a link to download the software on their site and Garmin UK tech support will post you a CD if you ask.

BUT ... and it's a big but ... the damn thing crashes. Twice now on a long journey it has hung and you have to take the internal batteries out to reset it. Crashes were in different places and after varying periods of time.

More worryingly, when I wrote to Garmin UK tech support they replied that there was a known bug but couldn't yet offer a fix.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Not such a bargain Reply with quote

timk wrote:

BUT ... and it's a big but ... the damn thing crashes. Twice now on a long journey it has hung and you have to take the internal batteries out to reset it. Crashes were in different places and after varying periods of time.

hmm... not had that problem yet. off to scarborough to fully test the little blighter out... will let you know if it goes tit's up.

MaFt
rf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to note - Maplin changed the specs on this more than once. It originally stated that it included CitySelect UK/Ireland on DVD with full unlock. I contacted Garmin and they say that there is no such DVD, and that there is no way to back up the data on the card. They say that they will be releasing 8 different transflash cards for Europe that you will have to buy as needed to get the European mapping data.

Basically, you have to buy new cards from Garmin to use with this if you want anything other than UK/Ireland. This is in contrast to the US version which ships with the entire US on DVD and you can pick/choose what you want. Mine is going back..... will get something that comes with European mapping data, and which does not require me to buy more cards for other regions, but rather lets me install what I want on the card...
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf..can you not load mg usa (for instance) onto a transflash card then stick in the i3?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 2 of 39

Jump to: