Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Openzone POIs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Openzone POIs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Openzone POIs? Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are a list of openzone hotspots available as a POI for navigator?

Cheers

Simon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Wireless HotSpots like the one on the points of interest page on the site?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Oldboy - cheers!

Simon
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear - just checked it out - Last Updated:12/12/03

Not sure that's going to be much use Sad

Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers

Simon
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/subscibes to thread & awaits a suggestion
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a GPS issue, but why are hotzones in this country so expensive? In the US and many European countries it's free in most (if not all) restaurants, bars and cafes (Strabucks etc.) and quite cheap elsewhere. Why do we end up having to pay so much for everything?
Crying
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a marketing point of view - it would be great for bars, restaurants, cafes, etc to offer free hotspots. It would cost them a few quid a month and is bound to increase business!
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonpearce wrote:
from a marketing point of view - it would be great for bars, restaurants, cafes, etc to offer free hotspots. It would cost them a few quid a month and is bound to increase business!

I know, I know, I know!!!!! On Fire (sorry frustration...)
I have installed Wifi in many places and I know how cheap and easy to maintain it is. So why oh why (am I a poet?) is it still so expensive here?
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say . . . two letters:

B and T!

Simon
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. They're evil Twisted Evil
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be just BT's fault. Cafes could easily offer free access for minimal cost to themselves if they wanted to (you can easily get a 1Mbit ADSL line for under £20 a month now and a wireless access point/ADSL modem/router combo costs well under £100), but if they sign up with one of the commercial hotspot operations they get a cut.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonpearce wrote:
I would have to say . . . two letters:

B and T!

Simon

Being an employee of BT, I don't think it is BT's fault. My brother owns a pub and has a wifi hotspot. He pays for it with his other entertainments ie pool table, fruit machines 1million track juke box etc. He can't control the pricing and although it runs over BT's network he believes the price is set high by the entertainments company, after all, they are there to make money out of 're-selling' internet access through hotspots. I presume that if BT were to operate in a similar way their prices would be lower or it might be in the way they are regulated that they can't vastly undercut competitors.

I may have it all wrong and it could be a BT conspiring to seperate us from our money and theymust be behind the cost of fruit machines going up!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are ever in Blackpool try the "Hafway House" pub near the airport - they have WIFI avail in the pub for free (I use it quite often), all the other pubs around here charge for WIFI access and it is at a stupidly high price- it evens compares to heavy (ish) use of the GPRS/ WAP service via the mobile phone network- try 6 quid for a single connection (most charge around this) vs 2.50 per MB via GPRS, if all you want is quick e-mail checks etc then the pay per view WIFI is well expensive - Mike
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pricing is horrible, but people must be actully using it! Idiots. If I am up town and need internet access I just log in through my bro's personal network at the pub. Shame he can't rent his access out undercutting his entertainments providors but that would probably be a breach of contract. bah
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
I may have it all wrong and it could be a BT conspiring to separate us from our money and they must be behind the cost of fruit machines going up!

I'm afraid to say that this is correct and you do have it all wrong mate 8)
Examples: BT are currently charging something for Call forward, caller waiting and so on when in fact in most advanced countries these services are free and they are free for a reason - letting your customers forward calls 'for free' or have call waiting, just generates more calls and more cash for BT. Asking them to pay for the service, even if it's not a high price, will deter most people, they will just say than can live without it. Same goes for caller display which BT only now thought of offering for free. And also involves and idiotic registration campaign. Well I have only bad bad bad things to say about BT. it’s obviously not your fault, it is the fault of their marketing people - they have not got a clue what they are doing. The ADSL cost in the UK is higher than in Germany, France, the Netherlands and so on. And this is why there are fewer households connected to ADSL here then in most of our European neighbours. All a very big mistake. But no point in blaming you (or is there?? ;))

Anyway, BT’s costing of their Openzone products is insanely high. If it was cheaper they would have had many many more customers wishing to use that product and would had more businesses requesting it and more people using it and more businesses requesting it and more people using it and so on and so forth. So their marketing strategy and pricing are idiotic, make no sense, annoying and most of all not taking advantage of their potential earnings.

Ok I've calmed down now.

So BT is evil. And stupid. And many other bad things. But you, tomo, are just a nice bloke trying to defend his employer Thumbs Up

Soon Can someone please talk to someone that knows someone that is related to someone that runs this forum and ask them to introduce a spellchecker??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: