Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VIAMICHELIN ON MEMORY CARD QUESTION...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VIAMICHELIN ON MEMORY CARD QUESTION...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: VIAMICHELIN ON MEMORY CARD QUESTION... Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently purchased an Ipaq rx1710 with Viamichelin maps supplied on a 128mb memory card. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer the contents of the card to my pc, replace the 128 card with a larger capacity one, then transfer the viamichelin maps back onto the new card - without giving me a nervous breakdown? And could I still use the new card for storage of other stuff too, as the current instructions say that I shouldn't add anything to my current memory card with the maps on. I recently tried to back up the maps memory card to my PC but something along the line wasn't happy!!

£1 reward for the correct answer!! Thanks all!!
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why not unless there are hidden files/folders.

Why not copy to your PC, copy back onto a larger card and if this works then you know that you can delete the orignal. You can then add other files to the card and see if it still works.

If it does not work on the larger card then you are stuck with the original, but at least you will not have deleted it.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muff, I asked the same question about a week ago on here, but as yet, I haven't had a single reply Crying or Very sad I too have a HP iPAQ rz1710, with Viamitchelin, and want to copy the SD card onto a bigger card. I have searched loads of threads on here, and gathered imformation from various places, and yes you can copy the SD card onto your pc, then back onto a bigger SD card. Some say use the Microsoft Sync, some say use a card reader. If you use Microsoft Sync, conect PDA, Open Sync, and click on explore,then copy/paste ALL the files to your PC, you have to have the option to show hidden and system files ticked, and copy these too, and check you copied the contents of the folders, not just empty files. All the Bytes have to be the same. Then put the new card in the PDA, and repeat the proces. I cant say any more than that, I am getting a new SD card next week, and I will have a go at it. As for SD cards,I think Japanese cards are better than Chinese or tiwan, and some say get a 256 card, some say 512, it depends on what maps you want to down load. I think I will go for a lexus 256 for £29.95 in Argos. There are cheaper ones on the internet, but are they any good?
Muff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Honda, its what I was going to try, but I stopped because of a warning (in the viamichelin instructions somewhere, not via the PC), that I shouldn't add anything to my 128 card with the maps installed. Do you / anyone know the answer to this? -

I was successful in transferring the contents of the current 128 card with maps, onto a larger capacity card, would there be any problems with using that new card for storage space for other applications?

Cheers guys
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they said that because you dont want to risk deleting/ corrupting your ONLY copy of your maps, But It will be ok to use your bigger card, as you can make another copy from the original, if it goes wrong, By the way, was my method of copying the way to do it?
Muff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanda, thanks for that, excellent. Im in the process of looking for a new memory card myself, but I haven't managed to decide yet which is the better option, there are loads on Ebay but the good deals all come from abroad so Im not sure what to do yet. Let me know how you get on with transferring yours when you get your new card, hope it goes ok :D
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards for decent prices can be had at http://www.mymemory.uk.com/ very reliable and whilst not as cheap as some on ebay, at least you know who you are dealing with.
I would avoid SanDisk cards as there have been known problems running them with Palms.
I've purchased Lexar to good effect and have 256mb and 512mb on my TC and T2. I always use a card reader as it is so much quicker than synching, but you need to know where to put the data as different programmes use different folders.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Synch thing was taking far too long. Copying onto the PC then downloading onto a larger SD card was much faster and I am now working with no problems. I am slightly off that HP can sell a package where neither the SD card nor the Pocket PC are big enough to cope with what is being asked. But at least with this work around it all seems to be working correctly.
b34r5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I had no problems doing just that. Drag and drop off the ViaMich SD, onto the PC, then onto a 512MB SD, seems to be working fine at the moment. Only slight nag is that you have to leave the folder structure as it was on the original card, which means for the sake of being neat (which I always try and do) you cant stick all the ViaMich stuff into its own folder.

Couldn't agree more with you, Metroace. I literally cant store anything significant on the handheld, if I do, windows doesn't allocate enough program memory to run the navigation software. They probably shouldn't have used their bottom of the line model for this application! I dont like having to run the nav software, store all my files, and install all extra apps onto a card when if I was using say, a TT5, I could have it all on the inbuilt memory and use the SD slot for something more interesting- WiFi or a camera!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: