Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 or Navigator 4.4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 or Navigator 4.4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 or Navigator 4.4 Reply with quote

I've actually gone back to Navigator 4.4 after a semi-hopeless trip in France on TomTom5, navigating down to Portsmouth wasn't much better either. Thankfully I knew where I was going - just trying it out to see if I was keeping it - I'm not, my brother is having it for his kit - he likes it, but then he always was strange.

Thank goodness I had the gumption to install both on my PNA100 and install both sets of maps on the 1GB card, and back them up on the 256MB card (it was tight!)

Gave the TT5 a hell of a chance and couldn't get used to it - didn't like so many things about it - shame really!

The downsides in my opinion are as follows:-

The 40 POI limit - thats hellishly restricting on a UK->Europe run even when you know where you're going.
The voices sometimes cut themselves off mid instruction - bloody irritating to say the least
The lockups - on the 1GB fast card this should not have happened.
Demoing the route - only goes so far then cuts back to the start

Upsides:-

The route demoing - nice feature, shame about the above
The 3D view on screen - sexy as, well I think so
Screen rotation - damned handy feature - especially on the PNA100, more screen for the map!
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to France using a PNA175 on Med Nav 4.4 with 4.2 Europe maps, cant say I found any major problems with it, in fact it took me everywhere I wanted to go without much of a hitch, especailly going around the outskirts of Paris, without it I am sure we would have ended up lost many a time!

The only little niggle I came across was the announcements of the forthcoming juctions sometimes came a litte late thus a quick course deviation was made much to the annoynace of many a French driver :-) (So what I say, the French drivers cut me up all the time, drive on your bumper so close they may as well be in your car with you and they have no patience whatsoever and beep their toy horns after the lights have changed a couple of seconds before, very annoying! :x ), however back to the subject, this problem was overcome to some extent by zooming out the view on Auto so we could see further ahead thus giving us more time to think.

A very good piece of equipment which I would not allow out of my hands unless I am very dead!

One word of warning though, whilst there I was reliably told that some speed radar detector units have been conficasted for being used on the French roads, however I am not too sure where you stand if you have GPS unit with the speed camera POI's put on it.

If you also remove the unit to hide it the police may look at your screen, see the sucker marks and look through your car until they find it, so clean the screen marks off to make sure, the French police are very anti UK drivers (I dont know why though, they have more accidents in France and are generally worse drivers) so they may take the GPS unit regardless and fine you as well so be careful 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: